DP doesn’t appreciate discussions of Dan McClellan on SeN

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Rivendale
God

Re: DP doesn’t appreciate discussions of Dan McClellan on SeN

Post by Rivendale »

Father Francis wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 4:50 am
Rivendale wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 7:41 pm

Snake oil salesman? Coming from a person who finds solace in a man that claimed he could remotely see objects from far away with a stone. A man that was in a courtroom accused of being a disorderly person. A man that redefined morality to be situational especially targeting infidelity. A man that paraded around in a generals uniform? They seem to eat their own.
Not to mention DCP believes inn dowsing....
It does seem systemic in Mormonism. Improbable feats that believers perform are called gifts. Dowsing fits nicely here. Something that manifests itself in the world yet has no detectable mechanism to explain it. Guardian angels is another. Never mind the times people are killed. Just file that in the God works in mysterious ways file next to Religion poisons everything.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

huckelberry wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 10:13 pm
Moksha wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 3:54 am

Makes sense, can you imagine how negative the Interpreter donors and the Church Finance Committee members would be if they heard Dr. McClellan's takedown of Dennis Prager's rhetoric?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8f-QO8P3L0
I listened to this and again find myself appreciating Dr McClellan's comments. I found Pragers scripture distortions shocking.

It has been pointed out that It is best not to characterize such brutalization of Christian hope as Satanic. It represents a large swath of American protestants. It might be pointed out Prager might have positive or helpful observations elsewhere so should not be covered with a simple blanket like evil influence. Yet I truly struggle to come to grips with what is happening. I check out a fellow Eric Metaxas who writes a popular book about Bonhoffer an individual I admire (both his thought and his actions). Metaxas says we should follow the Bonhoffer resistance to Nazis example by supporting Trump and his last stand against cultural Marxism and globalist tyranny.This thinking strikes me as madness I cannot understand. (and I am supposed to believe that satan is not steeling peoples minds?). Well that last thought is emotional characterization that provides no help for understanding or effective counter stratagy.
Further related Biblical observations from Dan McClellan. He certainly has my invitation to return to this discussion board. He has made contributions worth thinking about in the past and I cannot help having a few questions for him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_CBuzc77NE
PseudoPaul
Star B

Post by PseudoPaul »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 7:33 pm
Doctor Scratch wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 4:21 pm
And then there is this remarkable comment from stalwart poster The Last Danite:

What, exactly, is the snake oil that Mak is trying to sell?
Legitimate academic Biblical scholarship. It's anathema to apologetics
MsJack
Deacon

Post by MsJack »

PseudoPaul wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:17 pm
Legitimate academic Biblical scholarship. It's anathema to apologetics
Maklelan is also having wild success in non-Mormon fields. I've talked to staff at TEDS who follow his TikToks but have zero interest in nor knowledge of Mormonism.

To certain apologists who have never been relevant outside of their tiny corner of Mormonism, that's got to sting.

I'm happy for Mak.
BA, Classics, Brigham Young University
MA, American Religious History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
PhD Student, Church History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School