Robert Boylan isn't just a racist, he's a sexist pig as well

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Bill_Billiams
Star B

Re: Robert Boylan isn't just a racist, he's a sexist pig as well

Post by Bill_Billiams »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 9:52 am
Physics Guy wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 10:01 pm
Corrections Officers do a horrible job that needs to be done. They have no control over who gets sent to their prisons, and in an ugly environment they have to walk the line between corruption and cruelty year after year, with very little appreciation or understanding from the public they protect. Mocking someone for being a poorly paid CO is like mocking someone for being a poorly paid nurse.
Indeed, you speak the truth.

What does Robert Boylan do for a living?
I know Travis. He does not work for Arizona Corrections. However, there is still some absolutely INCREDIBLE irony in Boylan's post. Boylan claims to be a research analyst for the B.H. Roberts Foundation. The salary information I found for this position says it pays $50,000 a year. According to the state website for AZ Corrections the pay for a CO is between $45,621 and $54,975 depending on experience. COs in AZ also get a 5% to 15% stipend on their base pay depending on how remote their work location is. So a topped out CO working in a remote location is getting $63,222 a year, before working any overtime. If the information about Boylan's salary is correct, that means he makes less than most of the COs he is disparaging. Given how much he loves begging for money on every possible platform, I'd say he is the one who is "making peanuts" and not contributing to society.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Dr. Shades wrote:
I think he works as a scriptural theologian and part-time practitioner in apologetic DezNatism. He is in a good position to take over for Dr. Dan Peterson when he eventually rides off into the sunset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfMo-X8NhE8
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Bill_Billiams wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 1:30 pm
Boylan claims to be a research analyst for the B.H. Roberts Foundation.
I believe that is the registered charitable arm of Deseret Nazism. Give to this cause and it will be funneled directly to the theological scriptorian analyst Robert Boylan. In Mormonism, a scriptorian is essentially anyone who gives off the impression that they know the scriptures really well. It's a flexible word.
Bill_Billiams
Star B

Post by Bill_Billiams »

Moksha wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 1:48 pm
Bill_Billiams wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 1:30 pm
Boylan claims to be a research analyst for the B.H. Roberts Foundation.
I believe that is the registered charitable arm of Deseret Nazism. Give to this cause and it will be funneled directly to the theological scriptorian analyst Robert Boylan. In Mormonism, a scriptorian is essentially anyone who gives off the impression that they know the scriptures really well. It's a flexible word.
That's makes a lot of sense as Boylan appears to be unhinged and possibly dangerous.
MsJack
Deacon

Post by MsJack »

I know Travis. He does not work for Arizona Corrections. However, there is still some absolutely INCREDIBLE irony in Boylan's post. Boylan claims to be a research analyst for the B.H. Roberts Foundation. The salary information I found for this position says it pays $50,000 a year. According to the state website for AZ Corrections the pay for a CO is between $45,621 and $54,975 depending on experience. COs in AZ also get a 5% to 15% stipend on their base pay depending on how remote their work location is. So a topped out CO working in a remote location is getting $63,222 a year, before working any overtime. If the information about Boylan's salary is correct, that means he makes less than most of the COs he is disparaging. Given how much he loves begging for money on every possible platform, I'd say he is the one who is "making peanuts" and not contributing to society.
I used to work in HR for forensic mental health, similar to corrections. We had plenty of people there with official salaries of $40K-$70K who made high five figures / low six figures easily after overtime.

Government jobs also usually come with pretty good benefits. My husband makes ~2.5x what I make and we still use my benefits because they're much better than his. Most small non-profits can't come anywhere near matching what the government can do in terms of benefits.
BA, Classics, Brigham Young University
MA, American Religious History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
PhD Student, Church History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
Bill_Billiams
Star B

Post by Bill_Billiams »

MsJack wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 2:08 pm
I used to work in HR for forensic mental health, similar to corrections. We had plenty of people there with official salaries of $40K-$70K who made high five figures / low six figures easily after overtime.

Government jobs also usually come with pretty good benefits. My husband makes ~2.5x what I make and we still use my benefits because they're much better than his. Most small non-profits can't come anywhere near matching what the government can do in terms of benefits.
I looked at the benefits and AZ Corrections gives its employees a state funded pension after 25 years of service. It says they also offer health, dental, and vision insurance along with paid time off. I highly doubt the B.H. Roberts Foundation can match that. Boylan really must be a miserable person.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Bill_Billiams wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 2:47 pm
Boylan really must be a miserable person.
Mormon apologetics is not a healthy endeavor. I imagine it’s not all that unlike being a cigarette industry lobbyist.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Physics Guy wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 10:01 pm
Corrections Officers do a horrible job that needs to be done. They have no control over who gets sent to their prisons, and in an ugly environment they have to walk the line between corruption and cruelty year after year, with very little appreciation or understanding from the public they protect. Mocking someone for being a poorly paid CO is like mocking someone for being a poorly paid nurse.
Indeed, you speak the truth.

He writes in pretty good English, for the consumption of what appears to be a small group of his friends. Some of his arguments are rather weak, however.

That said, I have no reason to think that his writing skills exceed those of a former CO I've been acquainted with, online, for several years. :)
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
MsJack
Deacon

Post by MsJack »

Bill_Billiams wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 2:47 pm
I looked at the benefits and AZ Corrections gives its employees a state funded pension after 25 years of service. It says they also offer health, dental, and vision insurance along with paid time off. I highly doubt the B.H. Roberts Foundation can match that. Boylan really must be a miserable person.
I took a quick look. You can be vested in their retirement plan in as little as 10 years. COLAs, disability insurance, 34 paid days off per year to start off with (12 vacation days, 12 sick days, 10 holidays). I bet they get salary step increases, too. And the vacation days likely increase the longer you're employed. (I started at 10 in my position but now get 17.)

Plus having a pension is far, far better than having a 401(k) or 403(b) or other self-directed retirement contribution plan, even one with employer matching.

AZ benefits look almost as good as government worker benefits in my state, and my union has the governor in its back pocket.

So, yeah. Ignorant and misogynist, not a good look.
BA, Classics, Brigham Young University
MA, American Religious History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
PhD Student, Church History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

malkie wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 3:08 pm

He writes in pretty good English, for the consumption of what appears to be a small group of his friends. for several years. :)
Midnight Mormons speak of him as though he is the Second Coming. I doubt they would feel the need to wear bulletproof vests in his presence, even though most young apologists tend to be rabid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfMo-X8NhE8