Is DCP being slandered here?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Is DCP being slandered here?

Post by drumdude »

“DCP” wrote: I've known his real-life identity for many years now, but have pretty carefully maintained his anonymity. Given the fact, though, that he often participates in the daily public efforts there to slander and deride me by name -- though he's far and away not the worst in that regard -- I honestly can't see why I should feel obligated, if I respond to him, not to name him.
I’m going to do what DCP does and just copy and paste notes from google. If it’s good enough for a PhD like him, it’s good enough for me:

It's important to understand when gossip and rants can cross the legal line and become "defamation", the legal word for a statement that causes damage to someone's reputation.

Defamation comes in two forms: libel (written) and slander (verbal). In this age of the handheld everything, "written" isn't limited to paper and pen, but can refer to an email, text message, blog post, and even a Tweet (as Courtney Love learned recently).

Whether it's written or verbal, a lawsuit for defamation usually requires the plaintiff -- the subject of a statement -- to show that something spoken or written was also published (heard or read by a third party), false (i.e. not an opinion), and somehow injurious to the plaintiff's reputation. To learn more about these elements of defamation in more detail, see Can I Say That? Defamation Law Made Simple.

So, an opinion that's texted or Twittered, no matter how vulgar or shocking, probably can't be the subject of a defamation lawsuit. You can probably say "Person A is the ugliest, dumbest person I've ever met" and not be liable for defamation, because you're voicing an opinion. But if you say "Person A cheated on her tax return," you're opening the defamation door because you've offered up an accusation that can be disproved.

Especially where gossip is concerned, certain people will have a harder time bringing a successful lawsuit for defamation. That's because people in the public eye -- including celebrities, politicians, and other public figures -- enjoy the lowest form of legal protection against defamation, by virtue of their (sometimes perceived) influence and position in society. People in the public spotlight usually have to show that a defamatory statement was made with reckless disregard for the truth (on top of the other elements mentioned above).
https://www.findlaw.com/legalblogs/pers ... egal-line/

I think it’s worth responding to DCP’s frequent claims that he’s being slandered. It doesn’t seem to me that slander applies here, given the above.
Doctor Steuss
God

Re: Is DCP being slandered here?

Post by Doctor Steuss »

So, when criticizing something someone has written under a specific name, it's anathema to do so "by name."

Cool.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

I cannot speak about everything that has been written here, by all board members, but I would be very surprised if any of what Kishkumen has written about Prof P rises to the level of defamation. If it did, Prof P knows the remedy, and needs no prompting to apply it.

Prof P has been unable to identify Dr Scratch, and Everybody Wang Chung, in spite of many attempts, and some cases of pointing the finger at the wrong in real life person.

As a result, I suspect that he has simply decided to take out his frustration on one board member that he does know the identity of. If he has kept that id confidential "for many years", why else make it public now.

He knows who kiwi57 is in real life. He knew who Peter Pan was. But he won't id kiwi, and appears to have been possibly deceptive in helping PP maintain his guise. As far as I can see, both of these friends of Prof P have been nastier in their comments about their "enemies" than Kish has been about Prof P - or anyone else, for that matter. Kish has also notably defended Prof P on several occasions when he felt that Prof P was being unfairly treated here.

In sum: I'd say it's a case of tribalism, and whatever Prof P can manage as revenge against this board.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Getting poison-keyboard emails every day for years has to have taken its toll.

Maybe those lawyers at Kirton McConkie who forced the First Presidency to break the law with the shell companies might advise him on placing claymore mines near his mailbox.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Yeah, I don't really like how much DCP is discussed here. I never have. What prompted me to criticize him this time is the way he misrepresented what I wrote in defense of Interpreter's and the Church's activities in DR Congo. He dragged me into it, when he could have just left well enough alone. So he stirs me up and then doesn't like how I react to his needling.

Well, that's fine. If he is going to mess with me, even when I am trying to defend his actions, then I will just leave the whole thing alone. Let people here say what they will of DCP. I will just let it go and not offer "gentle pushback" any longer. I think we get here because there seems to be this mistaken idea that unless I offer the kind of defense that makes DCP and the faithful happy, then I am not wanted or welcome.

I get that. I chose to absent myself from that kind of environment a long time ago. I absented myself from the pews of the LDS Church. I absented myself from the FAIR board. And I have rarely if ever commented in person on his blog or his Facebook page, usually limiting the few comments there to areas where we agree. My actions are not those of a "malevolent stalker" or an obsessed critic.

In any case, screw it. I will refer to the Mopologists and what they do--because they do do these obnoxious and bullying things--but I will not "push back" against criticisms of DCP, Interpreter, etc. any longer. Go for it folks. I am done with this nuisance.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
William G
Nursery

Post by William G »

Could I inquire as to the nature of the board's fixation with Dr. Peterson? Nine of the twenty-five threads on the first page are either about Peterson or are having a discussion about him. I just performed a fast scan of the threads. When it comes to Dr. Peterson, I'm sorry, but that's simply strange, and it's getting dangerously close to the point where this board, taken as a whole, has an obsession compulsive condition. Have the members of the board here run out of topics to discuss, or has Peterson transformed the guys in this room into a collection of fan boys?
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

William G wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 7:50 pm
Could I inquire as to the nature of the board's fixation with Dr. Peterson? Nine of the twenty-five threads on the first page are either about Peterson or are having a discussion about him. I just performed a fast scan of the threads. When it comes to Dr. Peterson, I'm sorry, but that's simply strange, and it's getting dangerously close to the point where this board, taken as a whole, has an obsession compulsive condition. Have the members of the board here run out of topics to discuss, or has Peterson transformed the guys in this room into a collection of fan boys?
How might you suggest we engage in discussion of his daily apologetic arguments in a way which doesn’t appear to you to be obsessive?

Or do you just want Mormonism and Mormon apologetics to have a safe space free from criticism on this particular forum?

DCP is free to stop blogging at any point, which would leave little left to discuss. Or he could just blog about food, which contrary to his whinging, we could not care less about.
Last edited by drumdude on Wed May 31, 2023 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nimrod
Star B

Post by Nimrod »

William G wrote:
Neither, William G. There are plenty of topics. The 'guys in this room' are not fan boys of DCP. But, hey, you are on a roll. In your very first post you pose a false dichotomy. DCP must be so proud of you.
Apologists try to shill an explanation to questioning members as though science and reason really explain and buttress their professed faith. It [sic] does not. By definition, faith is the antithesis of science and reason. Apologetics is a further deception by faith peddlers to keep power and influence.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

William G wrote:
I think Peterson threads are boring and largely a result of periodic lack of interesting topics and occasional boredom in general. He is an available subject.

Now in truth I think it is possible to worry about the fellow to an unhealthy degree.I am not a doctor so will not prescribe safe portions or limits. People should self diagnose.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

huckelberry wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 8:05 pm
I think Peterson threads are boring and largely a result of periodic lack of interesting topics and occasional boredom in general. He is an available subject.
He tends to post more provocative things when the focus on him here wanes.

Mike Parker stopped saying ridiculous things on his blog, and big surprise, the forum stopped talking about him too.