Vogel video on magic parchments and Jupiter talisman

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Shulem
God

Re: Proof is in the pudding

Post by Shulem »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:32 pm
Well, it is a symbol of God’s protection.

- Doc
The various crosses on Smith's parchments are associated with esoteric rites and practice as symbols of protection and find their roots in the crucifixion of Christ as expressed here in Vogel's video when he explains the nature of the gold crosses. Vogel explains how the use of magic circles while treasure digging is "for protection against evil spirits."

Nobody can doubt that Smith relied upon the symbols of the parchments to aid in treasure digging and relied upon spirits and angels mentioned in biblical sources as well as those that are not of the Bible but are handed down from astrologer John Dee, compliments of cultist Edward Kelly who acted as his scryer by communicating directly with spirits.

:o

Joseph Smith was peeping with spirits!
Flemming
Valiant A

Re: Proof is in the pudding

Post by Flemming »

Shulem wrote:
The various crosses on Smith's parchments are associated with esoteric rites and practice as symbols of protection and find their roots in the crucifixion of Christ as expressed here in Vogel's video when he explains the nature of the gold crosses. Vogel explains how the use of magic circles while treasure digging is "for protection against evil spirits."

Nobody can doubt that Smith relied upon the symbols of the parchments to aid in treasure digging and relied upon spirits and angels mentioned in biblical sources as well as those that are not of the Bible but are handed down from astrologer John Dee, compliments of cultist Edward Kelly who acted as his scryer by communicating directly with spirits.

:o

Joseph Smith was peeping with spirits!
I’m just curious, Shulem: do you know “High Spy?”
Shulem
God

Re: FRANCIS BARRETT

Post by Shulem »

Dan Vogel paid scores of references to FRANCIS BARRETT'S magnificent work entitled MAGUS, OR CELESTIAL INTELLIGENCER; BEING A COMPLETE SYSTEM OF OCCULT PHILOSOPHY.

I dedicate artwork in a section therein to our resident scholar, Philo Sofee:

FRANCIS BARRETT, 1801 wrote:CHAP. VI.

OF INTELLIGENCES AND SPIRITS, AND OF THE THREE-FOLD KIND OF THEM, AND OF THEIR DIFFERENT NAMES, AND OF INFERNAL AND SUBTERRANEAL SPIRITS.

NOW, consequently, we must discourse of intelligences, spirits, and angels. An intelligence is an intelligible substance, free from all gross and putrifying mass of a body, immortal, insensible, assisting all, having influence over all; and the nature of all intelligences, spirits, and angels is the same. But I call angels here, not those whom we usually call devils, but spirits so called from the propriety of the word, as it were, knowing, understanding, and wise. But of these, according to the tradition of magicians, there are three kinds; the first of which we call super-celestial, and minds altogether separated from a body, and, as it were, intellectual spheres worshipping one only God, as it were, their most firm and stable unity or centre. Wherefore they even call them Gods, by reason of a certain participation of the Divinity, for they are always full of God. These are only about God, and rule not the bodies of the world, neither are they fitted for the government of inferior things, but infuse the light received from God unto the inferior orders, and distribute every one's duty to all of them. The celestial intelligences do next follow these in the second order, which they call worldly angels, viz. being appointed, besides the divine worship for the spheres of the world, and for the government of every heaven and star; whence they are divided into so many orders as there are heavens in the world, and as there are stars in the heavens.

Shulem
God

Re: Bravo, Dan Vogel!

Post by Shulem »

I would be amiss if I did not personally thank Dan Vogel for his outstanding podcast and hope that he continues to present more information in the future. And on that note, I dedicate this post to Vogel and his presentation in showcasing the Jupiter Talisman among other occult symbols prominently displayed on the Joseph Smith magic parchments.

Dan Vogel wrote:
  • Smith family's involvement in ritual magic and astrology in association with treasure digging in this video, I will be discussing the Magic parchments in ceremonial dagger that were handed down through Hiram Smith's descendants as well as the Jupiter Talisman passed down through Emma Smith's relatives
  • Joseph Smith's silver Medallion was in fact a magic Jupiter Talisman
  • Smith Talisman followed instructions given in Barrett's 1801 book, The Magus for making a Jupiter Talisman, Smith's Talisman is very similar to Barrett's illustration to what he called a seal of Jupiter
  • Joseph Smith's possession of this Jupiter Talisman is strong evidence that he identified with his decan planet of Jupiter [Smithmas, December 23, For unto us a profit is born]
Wikipedia wrote:Joseph Smith Jupiter Talisman

FRANCIS BARRETT, 1801 wrote:

Shulem
God

Follow the Prophet

Post by Shulem »

Noah Webster, 1828 wrote:Image

TAL'ISMAN, noun

1. A magical figure cut or engraved under certain superstitious observances of the configuration of the heavens, to which wonderful effects are ascribed; or it is the seal, figure, character or image of a heavenly sign, constellation or planet, engraven on a sympathetic stone, or on a metal corresponding to the star, in order to receive its influence. The talismans of the Samothracians were pieces of iron, formed into images and set in rings, etc. They were held to be preservatives against all kinds of evils.

Talismans are of three kinds, astronomical, magical and mixed. Hence,

2. Something that produces extraordinary effects; as a talisman to destroy diseases.

OCCULT', adjective [Latin occultus, occulo; ob and celo, to conceal.]

Hidden from the eye or understanding; invisible; secret; unknown; undiscovered; undetected; as the occult qualities of matter.

The occult sciences are magic, necromancy, etc.

QUESTION: Are members of the the church discouraged from possessing and appreciating Talismans?

ANSWER: Members of the church today should feel free to possess Talismans just as Joseph Smith enjoyed intimate connection in possessing an astrological Talisman for his birth month, Jupiter.

President Russell M. Nelson is a Virgo. What do the stars have to say about him?

Shulem
God

Re: Follow the Prophet

Post by Shulem »

Shulem wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:56 pm
President Russell M. Nelson is a Virgo. What do the stars have to say about him?

If a Jupiter Talisman is good enough for Joseph Smith then a Virgo Talisman should be good enough for Russell Nelson. Will they find one in his pocket on the day he dies?

President Russell M. Nelson, October 2023 General Conference wrote:When you are confronted with a dilemma, think celestial! When tested by temptation, think celestial! When life or loved ones let you down, think celestial! When someone dies prematurely, think celestial. When someone lingers with a devastating illness, think celestial. When the pressures of life crowd in upon you, think celestial! As you recover from an accident or injury, as I am doing now, think celestial!

Birth Chart and Planetary Positions of Russell M. Nelson
Russell M. Nelson, Astrology Data, Zodiac Sign, Natal Birth Chart, Kundli, and Horoscope

Shulem
God

Speak up!

Post by Shulem »

I don't mean to be nasty or mean, but really, I think it's rather hilarious that I'm the only person on this board that has the balls (pun intended?) to offer a possible or plausible idea supported by examples on what exactly those three little balls on the parchment consist of.

What the hell is wrong with people around here? Say something! Speculate!

For God's sake, people, what the hell do you think those three little balls meant to the person who drew them? Don't just sit there in your comfy little chair and refuse to speak up.
huckelberry
God

Re: Speak up!

Post by huckelberry »

Shulem wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:47 pm
I don't mean to be nasty or mean, but really, I think it's rather hilarious that I'm the only person on this board that has the balls (pun intended?) to offer a possible or plausible idea supported by examples on what exactly those three little balls on the parchment consist of.

What the hell is wrong with people around here? Say something! Speculate!

For God's sake, people, what the hell do you think those three little balls meant to the person who drew them? Don't just sit there in your comfy little chair and refuse to speak up.
shulem, there is a shortage of lively conversations at present, perhaps you are frustrated with that. I enjoyed your presenting those old images of angel faces. But I am not aware of any reason to expect any meaning to those plates. I do not see how anybody was trying to communicate or practice magic with them.

I nominate the meaning to be absolutely nothing.
Shulem
God

Re: Speak up!

Post by Shulem »

huckelberry wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:15 pm
shulem, there is a shortage of lively conversations at present, perhaps you are frustrated with that. I enjoyed your presenting those old images of angel faces. But I am not aware of any reason to expect any meaning to those plates. I do not see how anybody was trying to communicate or practice magic with them.
Vogel went out of his way to convey an understanding that the Smith family used the parchments to aid in their practice of magic:
  • Smith family's involvement in ritual magic and astrology in association with treasure digging in this video, I will be discussing the magic parchments
  • drawing magic circles to control treasure guardian spirits
  • bearing witness of the Smith family's involvement in ritual magic and astrology in association with treasure digging
  • Joseph Smith wasn't just a scryer of buried treasure and lost objects but also employed ceremonial magic as a means of controlling the spirit
  • ceremonial magic and astrology handed down through members of the Smith family the first artifacts to discuss are these three magic parchments
  • magic characters
  • seven angels of ceremonial magic and his symbol on the Smith parchment is closest to Sibley's illustration
etc.
huckelberry wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:15 pm
I nominate the meaning to be absolutely nothing.
That's nuts.

huckelberry
God

Re: Vogel video on magic parchments and Jupiter talisman

Post by huckelberry »

Shulem, Of course the markings on the magic parchments have meanings. There is an extended tradition behind them. I do not see a connection to the Kinderhook plates however. All that I am aware of was they were made as a trick. I suppose it is possible that some design, from any old source was copied in part. That would allow a possible similarity to some image that had some meaning for somebody else. That is a tenuous connection that could lead most anywhere or nowhere.

Might just be, "be sure and drink your Ovaltine."