Moroni Day 2023 Celebration

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Tom
Regional Representative

Moroni Day 2023 Celebration

Post by Tom »

Tom wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:35 pm
My family is planning to make a walking pilgrimage with my cow and 200-300,000 fellow Saints to Louis Hills’ house at 201 S. Willis Ave., Independence, Missouri, this September to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Moroni Day. As Joseph F. Smith said, “When God leads the people back to Jackson County, how will he do it? Let me picture to you how some of us may be gathered and led to Jackson County. I think I see two or three hundred thousand people wending their way across the great plain enduring the nameless hardships of the journey, herding and guarding their cattle by day and by night.”

We also plan to make a large tax-deductible donation in John Welch’s name to turn Elder Hills’ house into a museum or even a House of the Lord. It’s the least we can do to honor his sacred memory.
Update: I regret to report that the less faithful members of my family have decided to skip the pilgrimage to Independence in favor of attending Scripture Central's Moroni Day 2023 Celebration in Salt Lake City. Billed as a celebration of the 200th anniversary of Moroni's first visit to Joseph Smith, the priestcraft cash grab fundraiser devotional, held at the Hyatt Regency Salt Lake City's 23,015-square-foot Regency Ballroom (with room for 2,875 attendees), will feature presentations by Scripture Central, along with musical numbers performed by Jenny Oaks Baker, Dallin Vail Bayles, and Ross Boothe. Elder Rasband will be the keynote speaker.
AGENDA

5:30pm - Check-in and Foyer Activities
6:00pm - Ballroom Doors Open
6:30pm - Dinner Served
7:00pm - Program Begins

MENU
When reserving your seats you can choose the main dish for each attendee.
Choices include:

Filet Mignon with gratin potatoes, lemon asparagus, and crispy leeks [GF/NF]
Blackened King Salmon with ancho passion fruit glaze, quinoa & forbidden rice pilaf, and roasted green beans [GF/DF/NF]
Vegan Shepherd's Pie with Lentils, root vegetables, and sweet potato [GF/NF/VGN]

All meals include:

Arcadian Greens Salad with Rosemary White Balsamic Vinaigrette [GF/NF/V]
Dessert
[GF= gluten-free, NF= nut free, V= vegetarian, VGN= vegan, DF= dairy free]

Enjoy the evening with us at the new Hyatt Regency Salt Lake City. The event will take place in the Regency Ballroom. Upon arrival, you will be greeted at our check-in tables in the ballroom foyer. There you can meet some of the Scripture Central staff, volunteers, and service missionaries as well as see some of the projects they have been working on. Once the ballroom doors are opened, take your seat to enjoy dinner and the program. Sunday Dress is the appropriate attire for this event.
As I type, 296 seats remain for the $250 per-plate dinner.

Additional information on the devotional is available at the Mormonish podcast here.

Last year's Moroni Day celebration was held at the Loveland Living Planet Aquarium. The keynoters were historians Casey Griffiths, Susan Easton Black, and Gerrit Dirkmaat. The price of admission was also $250, although Scripture Central encouraged attendees "to come in a generous mood with a desire to give even more this evening if your circumstances allow."

Now the food choices were a decided step lower last year; however, Sunday dress wasn't required, and attendees could skip small talk in favor of spending time getting up close and personal with electric eels and dwarf caiman.

Here were some of the other important details:
MENU
When reserving your seats you can choose the main dish for each attendee.
Choices include:
Grilled Salmon or Grilled Sirloin Steak

All meals include:
Caesar Salad
Garlic Roasted Potatoes
Seasonal Vegetable
Dessert

Business Casual is the appropriate dress for this event.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
drumdude
God

Re: Moroni Day 2023 Celebration

Post by drumdude »

I’d love to sell anyone buying these $250 rice pilaf plates a one-way ticket to the Titanic. It’s a steal at only $250,000 a head.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

drumdude wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:17 pm
I’d love to sell anyone buying these $250 rice pilaf plates a one-way ticket to the Titanic. It’s a steal at only $250,000 a head.
Are ear plugs and chewing gum provided with cost?
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Rivendale wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:02 pm
drumdude wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:17 pm
Are ear plugs and chewing gum provided with cost?
BYOB. We ain’t a charity here!
toon
CTR B

Post by toon »

1. For $250, there better be booze.
2. I haven't been to church in years, so my understanding of Sunday dress may have evolved.

That said, I don't need to be served alcohol -- that's what a flask if for.

Kind of tempting, but not really.
TwoCumorahFraud
Star A

Post by TwoCumorahFraud »

Start an organization called FARMS based ripping off some old books on fake geography for The Book of Mormon, anyone can find online, scanned by Google:

https://tinyurl.com/LEHills1924bookM2C

Currently promoted by two organizations in Independence, MO:
https://hillcumorahexpeditionteam.com/ (Buckner, MO)
(they travel to Mexico by car and provide donations to local residents, while LDS Jack Welch sold tickets on cruises to the Yucatan

https://bookofmormoncentral.org/events/ ... hn-w-welch - so one can gaze upon the Land of Promise while floating safely offshore to avoid Montezuma’s revenge)

https://www.bomf.org/quetzal-codex.html
..with past articles mentioning the Heartlanders and Rod Meldrum, by Shirley Heater now dead who started QuetzalCodex a precursor to Mormon’s Codex because, you know, The Book of Mormon is a Maya Codex…based off ripping off old books anyone can find online…

https://nebula.wsimg.com/e412bb5fbf52e9 ... oworigin=1

And you have Jack Welch, DCP and Scott Gordon as The Three Stooges of Mopologetics.

Hey Stooges! Have you yet discovered the Hill Cumorah you lost in Mesoamerica?
I hear it grew legs and up and left upstate New York and lost itself in Mexico to hide its identity from debtors, its wife and taxes owed to the IRS.

Where the blast is the Hill Cumorah?
By the Three Stooges of Mopolegetics at ThreeStoogesCentral:

https://doctrineandcovenantscentral.org ... l-cumorah/

https://knowhy.bookofmormoncentral.org/ ... ll-cumorah