Book of Mormon Central Reports Over $1 Million in "salaries and wages"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Book of Mormon Central Reports Over $1 Million in "salaries and wages"

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Happy Fourth of July, Friends and Colleagues!

I hope you are enjoying the summer festivities. Here at Cassius, I have been ruminating once again on the question of Mopologetic compensation. As long time students of Mopology all know, the apologists have sworn up and down that they do not receive any compensation whatsoever for their apologetic work--the most famous instance of this is arguably Dr. Peterson's "not one dime of my salary comes from apologetics." Of course, we later discovered--via FARMS's tax forms from the late 1990s--that this wasn't true, and that, in fact, he was paid over $20,000 to serve as "Chair of FARMS." (He later claimed that his actual salary never went up in that amount, meaning, in effect, that his *normal* BYU salary was "bought out" by FARMS: so, yes--many, many "dimes" of his salary went towards apologetics.) More recently, he has sworn up and down that he receives nothing for his work with Mormon Interpreter, and that, indeed, pretty much no one gets paid for their work.

What about Book of Mormon Central, though? Interestingly, a perusal of their 2019 990 Tax Form reveals some interesting details. For one thing, the form reports that none of the officers--including John W. Welch--averaged *zero* hours of work during the period in question. Gee, if the Officers don't do any work, then what use do they have?

Perhaps the most interesting detail, though, appears in Part IX, number 7, which lists the amount paid out for "Other wages and salaries," and the total dollar amount is a staggering $1,161,695!! Holy mackerel! What on earth are they doing that requires compensation like this? Who are they paying, and for what? Could it be, as folks have speculated in the past, that people like Daniel C. Peterson still *are* being paid for apologetics, but the payment is coming in the form of "Consulting Fees" from an entirely separate organization such as Book of Mormon Central? He would still technically be in the clear in terms of claiming that he receives not compensation from Interpreter, and to my recollection, he's never denied getting payment from *elsewhere*. And even if he doesn't receive "one dime," you have to admit: $1 million+ is a lot of money.

Another interesting line item 17, for travel, which is listed as $92,357. How much of DCP's airfare, food, and lodging would that cover, I wonder? And why would an apologetic organization like Book of Mormon Central even need a nearly 100K travel budget? What the heck are they doing?

Regardless, something seems very clear: Book of Mormon Central is paying people over $1 million dollars to support its apologetic activities. *Some*one is definitely "making money off of apologetics."
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Rivendale
God

Re: Book of Mormon Central Reports Over $1 Million in "salaries and wages"

Post by Rivendale »

Don't forget who owns Patheos.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

That is an incredible amount of money for such a small website. Interpreter Foundation, for example, took in around a million in donations during the year they produced Witnesses.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

A bit of curious wording under the ‘About Us’ section:
Who We Are

Book of Mormon Central is a team of ardent students of the Nephite scripture working together to share the wonders of this inspired masterpiece with the world.
Inspired, you say?
The legal organization behind Book of Mormon Central is the Book of Mormon Archaeological Forum, Inc., a 501 (c) 3 non-profit public charity
Hrm.

https://www.causeiq.com/organizations/b ... 205294264/

$3,25M in 2021 revenues.

More 990s:

https://www.causeiq.com/organizations/b ... /#form990s
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:37 pm

$3,25M in 2021 revenues.
Surely that must be funding some lidar scans around Guatemala. Right?
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Incredible. Book of Mormon Central's social media footprint and website traffic is almost nonexistent.

This has all the hallmarks of a money making scheme, just like the Interpreter. Who is dumb enough to donate to this priestcraft project?
Last edited by Everybody Wang Chung on Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:30 pm

I hope you are enjoying the summer festivities. Here at Cassius, I have been ruminating once again on the question of Mopologetic compensation. As long time students of Mopology all know, the apologists have sworn up and down that they do not receive any compensation whatsoever for their apologetic work--the most famous instance of this is arguably Dr. Peterson's "not one dime of my salary comes from apologetics." Of course, we later discovered--via FARMS's tax forms from the late 1990s--that this wasn't true, and that, in fact, he was paid over $20,000 to serve as "Chair of FARMS." (He later claimed that his actual salary never went up in that amount, meaning, in effect, that his *normal* BYU salary was "bought out" by FARMS: so, yes--many, many "dimes" of his salary went towards apologetics.) More recently, he has sworn up and down that he receives nothing for his work with Mormon Interpreter, and that, indeed, pretty much no one gets paid for their work.

What about Book of Mormon Central, though? Interestingly, a perusal of their 2019 990 Tax Form reveals some interesting details. For one thing, the form reports that none of the officers--including John W. Welch--averaged *zero* hours of work during the period in question. Gee, if the Officers don't do any work, then what use do they have?

Perhaps the most interesting detail, though, appears in Part IX, number 7, which lists the amount paid out for "Other wages and salaries," and the total dollar amount is a staggering $1,161,695!! Holy mackerel! What on earth are they doing that requires compensation like this? Who are they paying, and for what? Could it be, as folks have speculated in the past, that people like Daniel C. Peterson still *are* being paid for apologetics, but the payment is coming in the form of "Consulting Fees" from an entirely separate organization such as Book of Mormon Central? He would still technically be in the clear in terms of claiming that he receives not compensation from Interpreter, and to my recollection, he's never denied getting payment from *elsewhere*. And even if he doesn't receive "one dime," you have to admit: $1 million+ is a lot of money.

Another interesting line item 17, for travel, which is listed as $92,357. How much of DCP's airfare, food, and lodging would that cover, I wonder? And why would an apologetic organization like Book of Mormon Central even need a nearly 100K travel budget? What the heck are they doing?

Regardless, something seems very clear: Book of Mormon Central is paying people over $1 million dollars to support its apologetic activities. *Some*one is definitely "making money off of apologetics."
Consulting fees would be listed as payments to independent contractors. The 990 for 2019 lists zero payments to contractors.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
TwoCumorahFraud
Star A

Post by TwoCumorahFraud »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:30 pm

Report them to the IRS:
https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profi ... anizations
https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profi ... rminations

… BLM is being questioned:
https://www.insider.com/what-is-thousan ... ity-2020-6
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

drumdude wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:41 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:37 pm

$3,25M in 2021 revenues.
Surely that must be funding some lidar scans around Guatemala. Right?
Tax-free money.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
TwoCumorahFraud
Star A

Post by TwoCumorahFraud »

https://tinyurl.com/LEHills1918book
https://tinyurl.com/LEHills1919book
https://tinyurl.com/LEHills1924book

How to Sell Public Domain eBooks
https://www.wikihow.com/Sell-Public-Domain-eBooks

He’s just a good little Mormon Boy.