Jeff Holland hospitalized

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Jeff Holland hospitalized

Post by drumdude »

Apparently his health has been rough since contracting COVID, this video was made a month ago where he urges more members to pray for him and the other brethren:

https://youtu.be/N0Wb8ByLdl8

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... and-health
Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles is currently hospitalized for observation and treatment of ongoing health complications. Elder Holland is grateful for the many prayers offered in his behalf in recent weeks for his health and during this time of mourning. He sincerely appreciates the well-wishes and kindnesses shown by friends and members of the Church who know and care for him and his family.
The video is a little ironic, as Holland believes the prayers of Mormon kids around the planet somehow kept him alive once he was stricken with COVID. I think it’s clear now that his health continues to deteriorate that his disease is taking the natural course that it does in someone with obesity, advanced age, and co-morbidities.

It was probably a missed opportunity to emphasize the modern miracles of medicine, not prayers, in keeping someone alive through such a deadly infection. If only for a few months before the damage finally takes it’s toll. The brethren’s pro-vaccine messages were extremely prudent during the pandemic but now that the waves have passed they are back to business as usual. Trying to gin up miracles where none exist.

Hopefully he is kept comfortable while in hospital. The complications of COVID and kidney failure are awful and to see the man have such a dramatic turn for the worse after testing positive in April of this year is a good reminder that we should all stay on top of our health.
yellowstone123
Bishop

Re: Jeff Holland hospitalized

Post by yellowstone123 »

It’s time to pray for him if you believe in prayer. These last six months have been difficult for many; even though I don’t support everything he says, I don’t like to see anyone suffering. I wish him a happy recovery.
“One of the important things for anybody in power is to distinguish between what you have the right to do and what is right to do." Potter Stewart, associate justice of the Supreme Court - 1958 to 1981.
GiordanoBruno
Nursery

Post by GiordanoBruno »

Sadly, Elder Holland's wife just died.
MsJack
Deacon

Post by MsJack »

I hope he has a speedy recovery.
BA, Classics, Brigham Young University
MA, American Religious History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
PhD Student, Church History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Lets be realistic however. He won't be making a good recovery. Let us instead hope for little to no suffering as he exits this world. He has lost his love of his life, what's the point now? I am happy for him that he has had such a productive and good life within the parameters of the culture he lived in. That is wonderful for him! Now let us wish him peace in dying... it's the humane thing to do.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Very well said, Kerry. Vaya con Dios; descansar en paz.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Post by I Have Questions »

Jeff seems to be receiving better medical attention than missionaries receive..,
Mormon missionary who nearly DIED while preaching scripture in Argentina reveals how church leaders simply told her they'd 'say a PRAYER for her' when she begged them for medical help
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... -help.html
Bill_Billiams
Star B

Post by Bill_Billiams »

I Have Questions wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:05 pm
Jeff seems to be receiving better medical attention than missionaries receive..,
Mormon missionary who nearly DIED while preaching scripture in Argentina reveals how church leaders simply told her they'd 'say a PRAYER for her' when she begged them for medical help
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... -help.html
He is obviously more important then they are.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I wish Elder Holland and his family and friends the very best. It has been a very difficult time for the Hollands. I hope for smooth sailing however this turns out. I have many memories of Elder Holland. He was an AP in my dad’s mission, so some come from my dad’s reportage.
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
Dwight
Teacher

Post by Dwight »

I am with Philo Sofee, seems like with his wife passing and all I hope for a dignified and peaceful exit for him.

Interestingly his death would significantly raise the chance of Uchtdorf ascending the throne. I believe the semi-generic naïve actuarial table simulations put Nelson -> Oaks -> Holland -> Bednar, but that was cause Holland was ordained before Ucthdorf but is a month younger so the naïve view was that he should outlive Uchtdorf. Think of the potential whiplash of Uchtdorf in-between Oaks and Bednar.