Truman Madsen at BYU

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
yellowstone123
Bishop

Truman Madsen at BYU

Post by yellowstone123 »

I really liked Truman Madsen. In the late 1970's, and on a Sunday night, he came to our stake in western Orange County California to speak about Joseph Smith.

I shook his hand hard thinking he would do the same. His shake was very soft and I hope my shake didn't cause him any pain for advancing in his elderly years. Missionaries (Ohio Cleveland for me) all ways listened to his tapes. The spirit was strong when you listened to it.

I was watching his Elijah tape on Youtube. I kind of chuckled as it was pre internet and in the 70's and looking at the pioneer dresses worn by the women. Heck, I wore a three piece In the MTC.

Then Madison talked about Elijah and says: Elijah means My God is Jehovah.

I yelled out, Oh! Such a good try. I'll give you a 90 for that answer.

Any Orthodox Jew will say Elijah means _ _ _ _ is my God.

Truman was a really great guy, missed it a little, but I give him and A. He was a great person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e4EaXB3VoE
“One of the important things for anybody in power is to distinguish between what you have the right to do and what is right to do." Potter Stewart, associate justice of the Supreme Court - 1958 to 1981.
slskipper
Sunbeam

Re: Truman Madsen at BYU

Post by slskipper »

Many years ago my father gave me a copy of Madsen's book about B. H. Roberts entitled "Defender of the Faith". It totally omitted all that stuff about Roberts losing all "faith" in the Book of Mormon. I tossed the book in the trash.
yellowstone123
Bishop

Re: Truman Madsen at BYU

Post by yellowstone123 »

siskipper I can see that. I heard that Madsen said Hyrum was the one of brought up the principal of plural marriages.
“One of the important things for anybody in power is to distinguish between what you have the right to do and what is right to do." Potter Stewart, associate justice of the Supreme Court - 1958 to 1981.