DezNat/BYU Graduate, Shot By The FBI After Threatening To Kill Biden

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: DezNat/BYU Graduate, Shot By The FBI After Threatening To Kill Biden

Post by Kishkumen »

GiordanoBruno wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:00 am
Why did we ever align ourselves with Reagan and Falwell, with political activism, anti-intellectualism, too literal readings of scripture, and a narrow definition of marriage that excludes so many?
That is THE question. Regrettable. So regrettable.
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
yellowstone123
Bishop

Post by yellowstone123 »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:46 am
GiordanoBruno wrote:
Why did we ever align ourselves with Reagan and Falwell, with political activism, anti-intellectualism, too literal readings of scripture, and a narrow definition of marriage that excludes so many?
A lot of church members were Birchers, my dad being one of them. Once ETB ascended to the throne the deed was done.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Birch_Society

Combine Mormonism’s baked-in racism, and the threat of ‘godless communists’, well, there you go.

- Doc
Doc, I’m going to post on Birchers in a week or so. John Birch was an Air Force intelligence officer beaten, bayoneted and killed by Chinese spies/communists party around. He was a good guy. It was only when Welsh and Ezra Taft Benson got involved did it become crazy. My dad fought the Chinese in South Korea. It was the crazy’s in America that got everyone in an uproar. Ezra Taft Benson made so many calls to the FBI that even J. Edgar Hoover told his FBI agents not to return his phone calls. Benson believed the truth was from the Book of Mormon and he had the inside scoop.
“One of the important things for anybody in power is to distinguish between what you have the right to do and what is right to do." Potter Stewart, associate justice of the Supreme Court - 1958 to 1981.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Birch was a paleocon piece of crap. Change my mind.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Manetho
Valiant B

Post by Manetho »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:06 pm
Birch was a paleocon piece of crap. Change my mind.
The society was not founded by John Birch but named after him after his death. If you're referring to the founder of the society, that was Robert Welch, who was pretty much the Platonic ideal of a paleocon piece of crap.

As for Birch, he exhibited real bravery in fighting the Japanese in China, but sounds pretty detestable otherwise.
Wikipedia wrote:"He was always an angry young man, always a zealot", said a classmate many years later, saying that Birch "felt he was called to defend the faith, and he alone knew what it was." In his senior year, he joined a group of students who opposed liberal tendencies at the university. They brought charges of "heresy" against some professors, such as holding the theory of evolution, and the university held a day-long hearing in the chapel. Defenders of the professors posted a sign on the door: "Do Not Enter: Spanish Inquisition in Progress". The charges were dismissed, but the incident made Birch and the group unpopular on campus, and he later regretted the "teacher episode."
Tacenda
Sunbeam

Post by Tacenda »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:56 pm
GiordanoBruno wrote:
I'm trying to find evidence that he was a Deznat. Where did you see that, not that I don't believe it, it's right up his alley!
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Tacenda wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:07 pm
Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:56 pm

I'm trying to find evidence that he was a Deznat. Where did you see that, not that I don't believe it, it's right up his alley!
It was all over his Facebook. He even had the infamous DezNat photo of Brigham Young pointing guns. I wish I would have posted more of his Facebook photos before they shut it down.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Tacenda
Sunbeam

Post by Tacenda »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:17 pm
Tacenda wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:07 pm

It was all over his Facebook. He even had the infamous DezNat photo of Brigham Young pointing guns. I wish I would have posted more of his Facebook photos before they shut it down.
Thanks, I'll take your word for it.
The Stig
Valiant B

Post by The Stig »

Tacenda wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:25 pm
Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:17 pm

I happened to be on Twitter when the news broke on this and the Deznat idiots were jumping to his defense immediately. They really are terrible people.
Tacenda
Sunbeam

Post by Tacenda »

The Stig wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:32 pm
Tacenda wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:25 pm

I happened to be on Twitter when the news broke on this and the Deznat idiots were jumping to his defense immediately. They really are terrible people.
Thanks, I've discontinued my Twitter. But do know the Deznats scare the crap out of me.
Canadiandude2
CTR B

Post by Canadiandude2 »

So…we really need pics of these social media posts. Is there anyway to retrieve them afterwards? It’s unlikely that the waybackmachine would help unless someone immediately tools snapshot of the page or their inclusion or references to such pages before they were taken down.

As a scholar I’m perennially upset at how the internet is increasingly becoming less useful at documenting empirical evidence. I fear that as corporations and (unaccountable) governments consolidate control over platforms, data privileges, and access, it’ll become easier for the church and others to gaslight the public as to the past.