Too many miles for LDS Jesus

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
msnobody
Prophet

Too many miles for LDS Jesus

Post by msnobody »

I live too far from what would have been my ward zone if I had not moved approximately two years ago, and too far away from what would be my new ward zone if I were LDS. I’m probably 15 miles equidistant from both wards. So, the missionaries cannot come to my home, due to mileage allowances. So, I’m guessing that if you’re ex-LDS or questioning and want to be left alone, my neighborhood may be just the right place.

You’d think with the bazillion dollars the church has, they’d let out the reins a bit.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
drumdude
God

Re: Too many miles for LDS Jesus

Post by drumdude »

In the 7 years since I left the church I have had zero missionaries knock on the door.

Not even to dust their feet.
yellowstone123
Bishop

Post by yellowstone123 »

Some missionaries knocked on my apartment door unannounced: The asked some questions and they were really nice. About a week later they showed up again unannounced with the bishop. I asked the same type of question where an Orthodox Jew feels terrible buying a bacon cheese burger after the sun went down on a Friday night while missionary’s behind are very happy. They said nothing. I met others at a pizza place and bought them food. While talking to one the other day was busy with his phone. They took turns looking on their phones and talking. When I had some questions that were difficult they referred me to the church website. Things have changed. They have these fantastic 4 wheel drive cars and they dress more casual. No black, brown and blue suits, white shirt and conservative tie.
“One of the important things for anybody in power is to distinguish between what you have the right to do and what is right to do." Potter Stewart, associate justice of the Supreme Court - 1958 to 1981.
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

drumdude wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:44 pm
msnobody wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:11 pm
I live too far from what would have been my ward zone if I had not moved approximately two years ago, and too far away from what would be my new ward zone if I were LDS. I’m probably 15 miles equidistant from both wards. So, the missionaries cannot come to my home, due to mileage allowances. So, I’m guessing that if you’re ex-LDS or questioning and want to be left alone, my neighborhood may be just the right place.
You’d think with the bazillion dollars the church has, they’d let out the reins a bit.
In the 7 years since I left the church I have had zero missionaries knock on the door.

Not even to dust their feet.
I haven’t seen any out on the streets in years either.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

yellowstone123 wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:44 pm
I asked the same type of question where an Orthodox Jew feels terrible buying a bacon cheese burger after the sun went down on a Friday night while missionary’s behind are very happy.
Different religions have different health and/or dietary requirements. That's why missionaries were happy to have a bacon cheeseburger after the sun went down on a Friday night, while an Orthodox Jew wouldn't be.

Why is that in any way difficult to understand?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
MsJack
Deacon

Post by MsJack »

I told a story on here back in 2013 about how my first husband invited the missionaries over under the promise to not try and convert his extremely tired post-partum non-Mormon wife. He kicked out the lying little snots when they wouldn't stop pressuring me to read the Book of Mormon (again) and pray about it.

I got divorced, legally changed my last name, got re-married, and moved four times in the decade since that happened. In that time, not once has a missionary knocked on my door or otherwise tried to visit me. A few have reached out on Facebook, but I have ignored them.

Perhaps that's because of what happened in 2013, but I was under the impression the missionaries don't go door-to-door all that much anymore.

I am likely having the local stake president and his wife over sometime in the next few weeks. Positive and mutual interfaith friendships, yes; 18-year-olds mansplaining praying about the Book of Mormon to a grown woman with a degree from BYU, no.
BA, Classics, Brigham Young University
MA, American Religious History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
PhD Student, Church History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

MsJack wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:40 pm
18-year-olds mansplaining praying about the Book of Mormon to a grown woman with a degree from BYU, no.
The internet age in general hasn’t been kind to missionaries. If you haven’t been exposed to Mormonism before, after the missionaries leave you can quickly google the religion to find out everything they left out of their narrative.

Hell, within 5 minutes you can be watching the entire endowment ceremony on YouTube.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

msnobody wrote:

From what I’ve read on this thread it sounds like the prayers of the critics have been answered. Missionaries now rely more on positive contacts through social media and member referrals rather than going out and knocking on doors.

Technology to the rescue, right?

Although, msnobody, if you’re hankering for a visit from the missionaries I’m sure you could reach out and they would visit you. Especially if you offer to feed them. 😉

Regards,
MG
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:34 pm
msnobody wrote:

From what I’ve read on this thread it sounds like the prayers of the critics have been answered. Missionaries now rely more on positive contacts through social media and member referrals rather than going out and knocking on doors.

Although, msnobody, if you’re hankering for a visit from the missionaries I’m sure you could reach out and they would visit you. Especially if you offer to feed them. 😉

Regards,
MG
What is a "positive contact through social media?" I recently received a "cold call" from an LDS missionary through Facebook. The initial contact didn't identify the missionary as LDS, but I recognized the pitch. Is that what you mean? I handled it as I would have handled a knock at my door. I guess it's more efficient than going door to door.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:53 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:34 pm

Regards,
MG
What is a "positive contact through social media?" I recently received a "cold call" from an LDS missionary through Facebook. The initial contact didn't identify the missionary as LDS, but I recognized the pitch. Is that what you mean? I handled it as I would have handled a knock at my door. I guess it's more efficient than going door to door.
I don’t know how it works anymore. I’ve been home from a tracting mission many years now. Positive may not be the appropriate word to use in all instances of missionary related contact. I was referring to what I would guess is the modus operandi of contacting friends of friends via Facebook and/or other social media platforms that have links to other people.

Missionaries may see this as a more or less ‘positive’ contact as it is linked to what might be an active member and/or someone friendly to the church.

My guess is that you are a friend to someone on Facebook and that’s how you were found and then contacted. Overall it seems to me that contacts via social media are much less obtrusive than someone standing on your doorstep.

So in that way it might be considered a positive contact rather than being seen as negative. But it may be in the eye of the beholder I guess.

Regards,
MG