Millstones Along the Way: The Interpreter Foundation's Birthday

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Tom
Regional Representative

Millstones Along the Way: The Interpreter Foundation's Birthday

Post by Tom »

My soulmate (who was a film major) and I recently attended the annual Nicolas Cage Film Festival in Dutch John, Utah. Personal favorite Cage film: The Wicker Man. Favorite lines in the film: “What’s in the bag? A shark or something?” and "How'd it get burned? How'd it get burned?! How'd it get burned?! How'd it get burned?!"

After the festival, we retired to the legendary Green River Grill, where I feasted on the very best patty melt I’ve ever eaten. It’s a 1/3-pound burger smothered with grilled onions, topped with melted American cheese and Thousand Island dressing, softly laid inside a grilled marble rye bun. (A simple description of the patty melt's elements doesn’t do it justice.) My soulmate really enjoyed her brat, which was smothered with onions, peppers, and cheddar jack cheese. For dessert, we shared a delicious mint brownie and homemade vanilla ice cream.

I mention this to explain my absence at the Interpreter Foundation's birthday party earlier this month. I am reliably informed that party guests feasted on smoked brisket and pork and then listened to a long sermon extolling the many virtues of Brigham Young. (Incidentally, Dr. Peterson noted at the recent FAIR conference that he's greatly disturbed that members of the church have come to him and confessed that they don't believe Young was the Lord's choice but that there was a kind of apostolic coup.)

In honor of the Foundation's eleventh birthday, I present some key numbers for the past year or so (my thanks to the Relief Society sister in Parowan for running the calculations):

59: number of pieces published in Interpreter in the past year.
23: number of pieces written by individuals affiliated with the Interpreter Foundation (board members, radio program hosts). These 23 pieces represent 39% of the pieces published in Interpreter in the past year.
43: number of authors published in Interpreter in the past year.
10: number of authors published in Interpreter in the past year who are affiliated with the Foundation (23% of the authors published in Interpreter in the past year).
6: number of authors published in Interpreter in the past year who are women (14% of the authors published in Interpreter in the past year).
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857