A Darkness Settles Over "6 Days in August"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Re: A Darkness Settles Over "6 Days in August"

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Marcus wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:33 pm
Speaking of movie stills...

Are those plastic forks in the copper container on the counter??

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... unate.html
Yes, those are plastic forks. Good grief, are they even trying anymore?

This movie is going to be gloriously bad. I can't wait!

Here is Brigham Young, with obvious anachronistic blonde streaks/highlights in his hair. I guess DCP wanted a Southern California surfer-dude type to play Brigham Young:

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

I noticed that The Street Fighter of Mopologetics provided an important update on the film project earlier this week:
We had a small gathering last night in the northern part of Utah Valley for donors and potential donors to the Interpreter Foundation’s Six Days in August film project. Among other things, we showed those present a number of scenes that were created during our recent filming. They were well received. Those assembled also had what proved to be the very great opportunity to hear from our Brigham Young (John Donovan Wilson) and our Mary Ann Angell Young (Twyla Wilson), who were magnificent.
Everybody Wang Chung, did you attend the event? If so, what was your reaction to the clips? (As a side note, the Relief Society Sister in Parowan lamented to me yesterday that she had made a generous donation to the film project, but she didn't receive an invitation to the northern Utah Valley gathering.)

In any event, I was pleased to read this report on the film's progress from The Street Fighter a few weeks ago:
Slightly more than 82% of the filming is now done, measuring by allocated time, although some crucial scenes remain to be captured. (One requires winter weather.)

Alas, though, a considerable amount of money still needs to be raised. Not my favorite pastime, but unavoidably necessary.
Alas, no word on whether the crucial transfiguration scene has been captured.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:35 pm
Here is Brigham Young, with obvious anachronistic blonde streaks/highlights in his hair. I guess DCP wanted a Southern California surfer-dude type to play Brigham Young:

Is this the Brigham Young movie or a new installment in the Twilight series?
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:38 pm
Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:35 pm

Is this the Brigham Young movie or a new installment in the Twilight series?
It definitely could be the latter. I must confess that I suspect that my soulmate has a bit of a crush on the actor who plays Joseph Smith. Even the “literally homicidal” (to use Our Intellectual Porter Rockwell’s words) Thomas Sharp is not too shabby in the looks department (see below).

Here is the boyishly handsome Sidney Rigdon (51 in August 1844):

The casting director and the executive producers were looking for eye candy for this film.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Any current news about the progress of Six Days In August? The proprietor has been curiously quiet since publicly begging for money several weeks ago.

I hope everything is okay. Nobody wants to see the theatrical release more than I do. I would personally donate money to the project, but per the proprietor’s annual (since 2014) fundraising efforts on behalf of Tim Ballard’s Operation Underground and his heartfelt appeals for people to donate, I’m tapped out and have very little left for charities.

I sure hope Tim Ballard put my money to good use.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Looks like a release date of April 5!

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt29808873/

They’ve made quite a few changes, but looks like it will now be a much more entertaining film!
Everybody Wang Chung
God

drumdude wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:25 am
Looks like a release date of April 5!

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt29808873/

They’ve made quite a few changes, but looks like it will now be a much more entertaining film!
Wow! It actually looks like it’s going to be a good movie! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

I continue to have faith that the film will premiere in late summer 2024.

Sadly, though, it doesn’t appear that the film will be screened at the upcoming Zions Indie Film Fest (26 February-2 March 2024). I suspect there’s too much fundraising, filming, editing, dubbing, sweetening, and smoothing to be done.

Speaking of dark Mormon movies, has anyone seen the short missionary horror film titled “The Handbook”? (Content warning: squeamish viewers may want to steer clear.)
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Tom wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:51 am
I continue to have faith that the film will premiere in late summer 2024.

Sadly, though, it doesn’t appear that the film will be screened at the upcoming Zions Indie Film Fest (26 February-2 March 2024). I suspect there’s too much fundraising, filming, editing, dubbing, sweetening, and smoothing to be done.

Speaking of dark Mormon movies, has anyone seen the short missionary horror film titled “The Handbook”? (Content warning: squeamish viewers may want to steer clear.)
I absolutely love that someone told him “sweetening” is a thing.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

DCP posted another picture today of Brigham Young. This film is going to be epic. If there was an Academy Award for the most anachronistic hairstyle, 6 Days in August would definitely win.

Is it just me, or are this actor's ridiculous and anachronistic blond highlights going to be a distraction? If I walked by a man with that many highlights, I don't think I could keep myself from laughing out loud. Did DCP think the hair choice for Brigham Young was a good idea?

Imagine making a movie about Jesus and then having his hair look like this:

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014