A Darkness Settles Over "6 Days in August"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Re: A Darkness Settles Over "6 Days in August"

Post by Doctor Scratch »

When the time is right, we will unleash DCP upon the world…
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

I think you’re on to something, Doctor Scratch. I came across the following still photograph today:ImageThe proprietor’s caption:
Rehearsing for a nighttime outdoor dance scene in “Six Days in August.” I’m a big Jane Austen fan. Think of this as a nod in the direction of an Austen period movie. (Which it isn’t.)
I must confess that the two figures in the foreground closely resemble zombies paired in a three-legged race held in the dead of night. A ghostly maiden seems to be watching the race. Given the executive producer’s love for Jane Austen, I cannot dismiss the possibility that the scene is a subtle nod to Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Thanks for posting this, Tom. Wow. Quite embarrassing. You have to wonder what they’re going for here, and your assumption about zombies doesn’t seem too far off. Perhaps they’re filming “Dan and Bill’s Adventures in Anti-Mormon Zombie Hell”? That would explain the amateurish lighting in the image. What, is Moroni hanging out in a tree, casting his radiance down in a focused beam of light? And where is the key light supposed to be coming from? Also from the trees? Look: I get it. This is a low-budget production. And not every lighting setup needs to be realistic. Dramatic license is sometimes worthwhile. But it’s hard to see what they going for here.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

So far, the movie stills don't look good at all. The lack of lighting is very problematic.

I know fundraising is a huge problem right now and can't help but wonder if DCP is cutting corners out of financial necessity.

Regardless, I can't wait to watch this movie in the theaters and luxuriate in its complete and utter crappiness.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Everything will look dark until Brigham starts to give a speech and transforms into Joseph Smith before everyone’s eyes. Then the light will increase to brighter than the noonday sun!
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:16 am
Everything will look dark until Brigham starts to give a speech and transforms into Joseph Smith before everyone’s eyes. Then the light will increase to brighter than the noonday sun!
And there was light.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:12 am
So far, the movie stills don't look good at all. The lack of lighting is very problematic.

I know fundraising is a huge problem right now and can't help but wonder if DCP is cutting corners out of financial necessity.

Regardless, I can't wait to watch this movie in the theaters and luxuriate in its complete and utter crappiness.
THey could just video it all in the dark and ask folks to use their own imaginations and strengthen their testimonies that way.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Well, it doesn’t look like DCP cares too much about historical accuracy. Here is a still from the film that clearly shows an aluminum rain gutter and asphalt shingles. DCP might as well put a satellite dish on the roof too.

This film is going to be glorious! Can’t wait.

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:53 am
Well, it doesn’t look like DCP cares too much about historical accuracy. Here is a still from the film that clearly shows an aluminum rain gutter and asphalt shingles. DCP might as well put a satellite dish on the roof too.

:lol:
Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:53 am

ROFLOL!!!! Score another one for the “Hitchens File”!

Who wants to place bets now as to whether or not this image makes into into the Final Cut of the film?