The High Spy MEGATHREAD

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
High Spy
First Presidency

Re: The High Spy MEGATHREAD

Post by High Spy »

Physics Guy wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:17 pm
Cloud seeding has been tried, but it hasn't worked. The effect is real but we just can't put out enough seeding material to make much difference. Storms do build up slowly, but they are huge systems that extend over hundreds of miles in each direction, and ten miles or so vertically. That's hundreds of thousands of cubic miles of air.

Much more importantly, it's hundreds of thousands of cubic miles of water vapour and suspended liquid water. The energy budget of evaporation and condensation is insane. Condensing any amount of water vapour into liquid releases enough energy to lift that amount of water from the Earth's surface into outer space.

Just cooling liquid water down is a large energetic undertaking. Cooling any amount of water by just a couple of degrees is extracting enough energy to lift that amount of water above the Empire State Building. This is why steam power changed the world so dramatically. Heat is a form of energy: specifically, a big form. Even the steam that fits into an old-fashioned locomotive boiler carries an impressive amount of energy. Storms are like boilers with volumes in hundreds of thousands of cubic miles.

Humans planning to manipulate the weather are like little kids with their dollar allowance money planning to take over Apple by buying a majority stake. We are just not in the league.
https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&u ... nys3-SY1yS

The vast expanse of tropical oceans holds an extraordinary energy potential, with the ability to supply the world’s daily electricity by harnessing just a fraction of the solar energy they absorb. Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion (OTEC) emerges as a promising method, tapping into the temperature disparity between the warm surface and the cold depths.

OTEC’s roots trace back 142 years, with the first trial in 1881 and a 22-kilowatt plant in Cuba in 1930. The basic principle involves locating an area with a substantial temperature differential, typically in the tropics, where warm surface water meets cold water at depth. A floating barge with a closed-loop power system utilizes a refrigerant-style liquid to generate electricity. Despite its potential, historically, OTEC has faced efficiency challenges, with most of the power generated being consumed by the pumps, bringing cold water to the surface.
The latest pipes used are 55 feet in diameter, and can easily reduce the surface temperature of tropical waters enough to impact the ferocity of Typhoons. Especially if floating barges, as per my design sketch are dispatched to neutralize them in their formative stages.

The first commercial scale plant is a huge milestone. ❕
Imwashingmypirate
God

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Flemming wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:03 am
What is the first photo on march8miracle showing? I don’t get it. Looks like a building at dusk?
There's a white figure under the sun. I assume it's that.
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

How many miles long are these barges? The challenge in weather control is scale. You'd need to change the temperature of a few thousand square miles of ocean. A 55-foot-diameter pipe is nothing. You could be freezing that solid and it wouldn't do a thing to the weather.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
High Spy
First Presidency

Post by High Spy »

Physics Guy wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:37 pm
How many miles long are these barges? The challenge in weather control is scale. You'd need to change the estemperature of a few thousand square miles of ocean. A 55-foot-diameter pipe is nothing. You could be freezing that solid and it wouldn't do a thing to the weather.
Only the surface, and really just the air above the surface needs cooling. Similar to blowing on the surface of a hot cup of coffee, does little to cool the entire cup, but this allows for a small sip of coffee from a batch otherwise too hot to drink.

The article linked previously shows Bill Gates’ idea to blow the cold water a few feet in the air. Impact sprinklers could cool hundreds of cubic feet of air each. The problem with Gates design is it does nothing useful during the long times between storms, making it economically unfeasible.

The barges would connect up to reduce drag to arrive at the optimal location quickly, then disperse to cool a large area effectively. The V shape creates a space isolated from rough seas to protect visiting ships to transport liquid hydrogen, oxygen and ammonia produced by the OTEC barges.
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

Mentioning “hundreds of cubic feet” in a discussion of weather control is like talking about buying control of Apple and mentioning hundreds of dollars.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
High Spy
First Presidency

Post by High Spy »

Physics Guy wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:36 pm
Mentioning “hundreds of cubic feet” in a discussion of weather control is like talking about buying control of Apple and mentioning hundreds of dollars.
That’s one sprinkler of potentially many thousands.

How big is a tropical depression, before it becomes a storm?

Spy will invest and investigate the matter further as things progress.
High Spy
First Presidency

Post by High Spy »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:26 am
High spy?

Did anything come of your invention? Reminds me of a detective room with a two way mirror and when you turn the light on in the other side you can see what's in the secret room.
Magic Lamp's were spectacular inventions, that led to spy's inclusion in Marquis publications. 8-)

Magic Christmas tree ornaments were the big fish that got away, thanks to Underwriter's Laboratories. Maybe one day, spy will try again with LEDs (Light Emitting Diodes) that don't get the least bit warm. But now the patent potential is greatly diminished, Likely making it not doable by an upstart. Could work for gifts too. Imagine one lighting up to reveal a sparkling pair of diamond earrings hiding inside!

Hopefully the new team teams up well, and things and stuff starts to happen. :lol:
Imwashingmypirate
God

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

High Spy wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:09 am
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:26 am
High spy?

Did anything come of your invention? Reminds me of a detective room with a two way mirror and when you turn the light on in the other side you can see what's in the secret room.
Magic Lamp's were spectacular inventions, that led to spy's inclusion in Marquis publications. 8-)

Magic Christmas tree ornaments were the big fish that got away, thanks to Underwriter's Laboratories. Maybe one day, spy will try again with LEDs (Light Emitting Diodes) that don't get the least bit warm. But now the patent potential is greatly diminished, Likely making it not doable by an upstart. Could work for gifts too. Imagine one lighting up to reveal a sparkling pair of diamond earrings hiding inside!

Hopefully the new team teams up well, and things and stuff starts to happen. :lol:
Sounds cool. There are newer light sources you could consider. Like OLEDs. I haven't seen Christmas decorations that appear like that. I could imagine that to be quite enchanting. It might be copied but people would still buy at the right price at the right time.
Flemming
Valiant A

Post by Flemming »

There’s been nothing of substance posted in this megathread.

That’s why I’m a Nightlion guy. At least he saw stuff and explained stuff.
High Spy
First Presidency

From “Vogel video on magic parchments and Jupiter talisman”

Post by High Spy »

huckelberry wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:54 pm
Morley wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:44 pm
While I'm 'meh' about the first two you mentioned, I'd welcome the last.
Hi Morley, I agree. Then I hear, "the nearer your destination the more you are slip sliding away." Paul Simon gets a bit stuck in the downs. Seattle may get past its slump but it does not look like it this year.
She wore diamonds on the souls of her shoes. :lol:
https://ldsfreedomforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=800542#p800542 wrote:88, 89, 90 was three years where 49's ruled and I would at times do work coded 3490 and there was an apparent match. @-)

One evening I went to the local 7 with a couple friends/co-workers who wanted to taunt Gimpy, which is what they called the poor handicapped guy that worked there. Seems they had had confrontations and they wanted me to join in their mis-guided battle. We strode about the store being loud and stuff to annoy the guy, but I began to realize they were on a bad mission to make life miserable for some poor guy, doing his best to deal with his unfortunate situation.

There were 49er Jersey's hanging up and I had just acquired Gerry Rice and other 49 players in the latest fad of fantasy football, so I bought one of the shirts and soon thereafter the earthquake struck during the world-series
3490 was the cost code for customer returns at Varian XRTP (X-Ray Tube Products) on Pioneer Road in SLC.

https://slogbog.com/search.php?keywords=3490 will find more posts about 3490, including an earthquake during the World Series. 8-)