Church Opens More Missions

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Gabriel
Deacon

Re: Church Opens More Missions

Post by Gabriel »

Per the OP's Source Article in Deseret News, Japan will be opening up a new mission:
Hanna Seariac and Tad Walch wrote: Asia North
Japan Sendai.
The Japan Sendai mission was its own entity for a good 40 years until it got absorbed into the Tokyo North and Sapporo Missions in 2019. Five years later, it looks like it will be back in business. I don't think that the amount of baptisms will be affected, one way or the other; nevertheless, having a third mission president in that region will definitely take some of the strain off of the other two. The following is a table of the mission boundaries in Japan from 1901 to 2019.
mission timetable 2019 w count(1).jpg
mission timetable 2019 w count(1).jpg (207.75 KiB) Viewed 744 times
Source: https://www.japansendai.org/Mission-His ... daries.htm
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Damn, my condolences to whoever made that chart. Good information.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Post by I Have Questions »

With its missionary ranks shooting past pre-pandemic levels, the Utah-based faith will add the missions around the globe next July, including nine new ones in Africa, where the church is expanding rapidly; six in South America; and a dozen in North America.
https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2023/11 ... mp-number/

So 75% of the mission splitting (these aren't new missions areas) is happening in the Americas and Africa.
All of the new missions are being created by splitting existing mission boundaries.
This link has a map showing where they are:
https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... sus-christ
The tally of missionaries has topped 72,700 (including nearly 5,300 senior missionaries).
(Despite Peterson's and MG's refusal to answer the call) Given the recent announcement that home-based missionaries serving non full time proselytising missions would be reporting in to Missions, I'd like to see the number broken down by missionary type.
The church did not provide any numbers but said its projections show the missionary counts will continue to rise for the next decade.
“We’re as sure as we can be that this is going to continue,” Rasband said, “or we wouldn’t take the very big decision to create all these new missions.”
I guess they've learned a lesson from Holland's ridiculous forecast of 100,000 missionaries by 2019. Is the phrase "we're as sure as we can be" the kind of statement you'd expect from a Prophet, Seer and Revelator? Or does it sound like the statement of someone that only has access to the current reed of missionary applications being received?
The intention, according to Amy A. Wright, first counselor in the general presidency for the children’s Primary organization, is to “diminish the demand” on mission presidents by giving them each fewer missionaries to “lead and guide and teach.”
Why is the Primary President weighing in with a comment on a programme run entirely by men? Smoke and Mirrors.
In Utah, the plan is to have a pair of missionaries assigned to each stake (a cluster of congregations) in the Beehive State, up from one pair for every two or three stakes.

“So missionaries will be more helpful to local priesthood leaders,” Rasband said, “as they have the responsibility to share the gospel and do what they do stake by stake.”
In other wards, Stake Presidents will now have to find things for missionaries to do. No point in having more missionaries in areas where missionaries are already under utilised in terms of teaching opportunities.
More missionaries also have translated into more converts for the proselytizing faith of 17 million members.

“Our projections are that at the end of this year, we should be at or really, really close to what our convert baptisms were pre-pandemic,” Nash said. “That’s really good news. We’ve seen strong growth through this year. Our convert baptisms in North America are more now than they’ve been since 2015.”
Is there good evidence that more missionaries = more converts?
Convert baptisms worldwide swelled in 2022 by 26% to 212,172, up from 168,283 in 2021 as COVID-19 restrictions continued to ease. During the height of the pandemic, in 2020, however, that number plunged to 125,930.

Before reaching that coronavirus cliff, the church reported 248,835 convert baptisms in 2019, up more than 6% from 234,332 in 2018.
I'm unconvinced that's simply a consequence of the number of missionaries. If true, the trebling of Missionary pairs for Stakes in Utah should treble the amount of converts in Utah. But nobody really believes that will happen. I'd like to see those convert numbers by mission by number of missionaries - as I suspect it won't be relative.
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Post by I Have Questions »

I Have Questions wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:26 am
The tally of missionaries has topped 72,700 (including nearly 5,300 senior missionaries).
(Despite Peterson's and MG's refusal to answer the call) Given the recent announcement that home-based missionaries serving non full time proselytising missions would be reporting in to Missions, I'd like to see the number broken down by missionary type.
I've found the answer...
The number of young teaching and service missionaries and senior missionaries has gone from 56,000 at the end of 2021 to 62,500 at the end of 2022 to today’s more than 72,000 (of which nearly 5,300 are senior missionaries).

So the number now includes those young service missionaries that I highlighted would be included in the number to make the missionary force seem higher.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Shulem wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:23 pm
So, what MG 2.0 seems to want to imply is that size matters.

What do I say?

So what! Who cares. Let the Mormons grow and grow all they want. All I ask is that they change their ways and repent of their wrong doings. That is not too much to ask.
Sure, let them grow. They aren’t. They’re shrinking. But let them try to grow. Ensign Peak is always ready to receive more unwitting investors. ;-)
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:01 pm
No unhallowed hand will stop the work from going forth come what may.
Oh but it has and I've given examples in this thread. Unhallowed hands will stop the work such as the polygamous works of past Church Presidents who pushed their vile doctrines of celestial marriages performed at the altars of the temple. That work was STOPPED! And how so? By the name of the law and the courts that rule the land. So how did the Church respond? Its leaders defied the law and went into hiding. But in the end, after a second Manifesto, the Mormon works of polygamy and the doctrines taught by those leaders who glorified it were STOPPED.

So, what do you think of that, MG 2.0? Don't you see how you are wrong in thinking that unhallowed hands can't stop Mormon god from performing vile acts?
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Even yipping and yapping on message boards will not keep God from carrying out His master plan for humanity. 😉
Heavenly Father of Mormonism is a Goddamn monster and everything about him makes me sick. He is a murderer of heart and a cruel and vicious bastard. But does he have a Father or is he really a bastard?

So take that, MG 2.0 and stuff it in the pipe you smoke. You can't fool Shulem.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Due to growth in a number of areas in the world the church is opening additional missions.
So if I understand you correctly, it seems you are trying to impress the critics that church growth is a sign in which the one true Church will continue to operate and function leading up to the second coming of Jesus Christ. Is that what you are trying to impress upon us, MG 2.0? But I suppose the Jehovah's Witnesses could claim the same thing and boast about how their 117,960 congregations consisting of 8,514,983 members is proof that no unhallowed hand can stop them from growing and ushering in Jesus and the millennium.

But in either case, I am not impressed with how religious cults manage to gather and entrap people in order to brainwash them.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

MG 2.0 wrote:
The gospel message is going forth to more nations as the church fulfills its divine destiny:
I am not impressed with the gospel message of Mormonism or its scriptures to include the Explanations of the Facsimiles. I find Mormon scripture to be fake and fatally flawed. The ultimate destiny of the Facsimiles is to be ripped out of the pages of scripture, then the Book of Abraham along with them will be run over by the Mormon bus. Then the Book of Mormon will be classed as inspired fiction designed to lead people to Christ.

So what do you think of that, MG 2.0? Before long the Mormons will be just another group of Christians yipping and yapping about how special they are and how Jesus loves them.

Give me a f-ing break, please.

:roll:
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

I Have Questions wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:42 am
I Have Questions wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:26 am
I've found the answer...
The number of young teaching and service missionaries and senior missionaries has gone from 56,000 at the end of 2021 to 62,500 at the end of 2022 to today’s more than 72,000 (of which nearly 5,300 are senior missionaries).

So the number now includes those young service missionaries that I highlighted would be included in the number to make the missionary force seem higher.
I think the April 2024 release of the 2023 statistical report will tell the tale. Right now, we can still compare end of 2022 and the numbers released in 2023 on an apples to apples basis. If the April 2024 report doesn't report a total for youth service missionaries, you will indeed have shown yourself as a prophet.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.