The Top Ten Happenings in Mopologetics, 2023

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: The Top Ten Happenings in Mopologetics, 2023

Post by Res Ipsa »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:26 pm
Doctor Scratch wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:29 am

5. Book of Mormon Central Has a Payroll of Over $1 Million

The Mopologists have always been extraordinarily touchy when it comes to the question of funding, with Dr. Peterson blustering with blind rage anytime someone points out that he was paid more than $20,000 to serves as Chair of FARMS in the late 1990s. The Mopologists have frequently tried to portray their activities as something of a shoestring operation--run completely off of the labor of volunteers, and even turning down a measly $500 honorarium for their service--which, they claim, is substantial (see item 8 above, for example). But money is clearly exchanging hands. The funding for Interpreter's two motion picture projects has been kept tightly under wraps for reasons no one seems to understand.

Meanwhile, an examination of Book of Mormon Central's 990 tax forms revealed a shocking piece of information: namely, that the amount for their "Other wages and salaries" exceeds $1 million. Who on earth is getting paid to do this Mopologetic work? John Welch works closely with the organization, and a number of noteworthy Mopologists have contributed to the project over the years. Were they all paid? Hypocritically, the Mopologists have frequently targeted "Mom and Pop" evangelical critics for being in it strictly "for the money"--Midgley's "old cash nexus," as it were. And in the "Comments" section at SeN, Midgley once let it slip that the Church was clandestinely diverting money to help fund various Mopologetic organizations--including Interpreter and FAIR--which means that tithing dollars are being spent on smear piece and the ongoing war with the Heartlanders.

Book of Mormon Central is now reporting a current payroll of almost $2 million. Their payroll has almost doubled. Crazy. https://www.causeiq.com/organizations/v ... 8e6011dd0a

How many employees does Book of Mormon Central have to justify a payroll of almost 2 million? 50 employees? 60 employees?
At least 19.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:26 pm
At least 19.
I wonder how the Interpreter crew feels about this? DCP has gone on record several times to make sure the public knows that nobody at the Interpreter takes a salary or any money.

Now, it looks like at least 19 employees of Book of Mormon Central make around $100,000.00 per year for working part-time. I wonder if any of the Interpreter crew will try to jump ship over to Book of Mormon Central?

It looks like Mopology is big business, and business is good.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:45 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:26 pm
At least 19.
I wonder how the Interpreter crew feels about this? DCP has gone on record several times to make sure the public knows that nobody at the Interpreter takes a salary or any money.

Now, it looks like at least 19 employees of Book of Mormon Central make around $100,000.00 per year for working part-time. I wonder if any of the Interpreter crew will try to jump ship over to Book of Mormon Central?

It looks like Mopology is big business, and business is good.
I had to cap salaries at south of $100,000 because that is the reporting threshold.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.