Nick Literski on the "Holiness to the Lord" Parchment

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Nick Literski on the "Holiness to the Lord" Parchment

Post by Kishkumen »

This clip was taken from the Fall 2023 Conference of the Working Group on Mormonism and Western Esotericism:

https://youtu.be/uqmP1gQXc8M?si=cmZIpHgF5Hv4l-Xm

In it, Dr. Literski illuminates the parchment from a "practitioner's perspective" and is able to show what some of the heretofore confusing characters most like are. They are also able to correct aspects of the chronology of its creation and likely use.
Last edited by Kishkumen on Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
Flemming
Valiant A

Re: Nick Literski on the "Holiness to the Lord" Parchment

Post by Flemming »

I didn’t know there was such a working group. Very fascinating stuff, especially when we consider that western (by that I refer to Western US) esotericism and occultism was practiced well into the 20th century. One of my newest amateur research interests has been Marie Ogden and the Home of Truth in the 1930s.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Flemming wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:49 pm
I didn’t know there was such a working group. Very fascinating stuff, especially when we consider that western (by that I refer to Western US) esotericism and occultism was practiced well into the 20th century. One of my newest amateur research interests has been Marie Ogden and the Home of Truth in the 1930s.
You are invited to present a paper on that topic to the group.
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
Flemming
Valiant A

Post by Flemming »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:54 pm
Flemming wrote:
You are invited to present a paper on that topic to the group.
Oh heavens no. I’m no scholar, just a country bumpkin.

Edit: looks like someone did publish on it for their master’s thesis, if you’re interested.

https://www.academia.edu/684689/The_Hom ... arie_Ogden

Edit 2: you can report this, since it’s off topic. Sorry.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Flemming wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:00 pm
Oh heavens no. I’m no scholar, just a country bumpkin.

Edit: looks like someone did publish on it for their master’s thesis, if you’re interested.

https://www.academia.edu/684689/The_Hom ... arie_Ogden

Edit 2: you can report this, since it’s off topic. Sorry.
We are open to listening to non-academics present. You wouldn’t be out of place. It is an open and welcoming forum.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Flemming wrote:
I didn’t know there was such a working group. Very fascinating stuff, especially when we consider that western (by that I refer to Western US) esotericism and occultism was practiced well into the 20th century.
My great grandmother was a (Mormon) practitioner of folk magic in southern Utah. I'm guessing at least as late as the 1950's. My mom remembers people bringing their kids to her, from surrounding towns, to get rid of warts by "buying" them. My mom can't remember the exact details, but it involved her using a safety pin to prick the wart, her saying some words, giving the kid a penny, and then sticking the pin to her apron. She'd always have several pins on her apron, and wouldn't remove them for several days after "buying" someone's wart from them. There was another thing she'd do to cure earaches, that involved blessing a cigar, and blowing the smoke in their ears.

She was a British immigrant, so I don't know how much of the folk magic came over from Europe, and how much was picked up in the States.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:56 pm
Flemming wrote:
I didn’t know there was such a working group. Very fascinating stuff, especially when we consider that western (by that I refer to Western US) esotericism and occultism was practiced well into the 20th century.
My great grandmother was a (Mormon) practitioner of folk magic in southern Utah. I'm guessing at least as late as the 1950's. My mom remembers people bringing their kids to her, from surrounding towns, to get rid of warts by "buying" them. My mom can't remember the exact details, but it involved her using a safety pin to prick the wart, her saying some words, giving the kid a penny, and then sticking the pin to her apron. She'd always have several pins on her apron, and wouldn't remove them for several days after "buying" someone's wart from them. There was another thing she'd do to cure earaches, that involved blessing a cigar, and blowing the smoke in their ears.

She was a British immigrant, so I don't know how much of the folk magic came over from Europe, and how much was picked up in the States.
Fascinating stuff, Steuss! I would love to know more. The cigar thing almost sounds like a Native American practice. Not that it was necessarily.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:04 pm
Fascinating stuff, Steuss! I would love to know more. The cigar thing almost sounds like a Native American practice. Not that it was necessarily.
It's certainly possible that's where she picked up the cigar thing. My grandmother had memories from her childhood of peaking through the cracks of the cabin and watching her mom trade with Native Americans. I still often find partial arrowheads on a plateau nearby to their old lean-to when I am in the area, after some good rain.

I love how fluid the adoption of practices and beliefs used to be within some areas/aspects of early pioneer Mormonism, as well as how readily existing beliefs were maintained and integrated with conversion.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:57 pm
I love how fluid the adoption of practices and beliefs used to be within some areas/aspects of early pioneer Mormonism, as well as how readily existing beliefs were maintained and integrated with conversion.
In my view, it should still be that way. It is for some people, and I am happy that is the case.