Did the Church "Bail Out" Interpreter with Tithing Money?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: Did the Church "Bail Out" Interpreter with Tithing Money?

Post by Kishkumen »

Enemies? Ugh.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:18 pm
Enemies? Ugh.
That reaction alone may sit you firmly in that camp (of enemies, I mean).
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

TO RESEARCH AND DESCRIBE THE RESTORATION OF THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST AS REVEALED TO JOSEPH SMITH AND WITH QUALITY, FAITH PROMOTING SCHOLARSHIP BY PUBLISHING ON-LINE A JOURNAL FREE OF CHARGE TO THE PUBLIC. TO RESPOND TO QUESTIONS FROM THOSE GENUINELY INVESTIGATING THE RESTORATION. TO SPEAK IN DEFENSE OF THE RESTORATION AGAINST CRITICS, ENEMIES, AND DETRACTORS. TO PROVIDE AND PURSUE RELATED CHARITABLE SERVICES AND PURPOSES.(emphasis added)
TO PROTECT OUR FLANKS, AND TO CRUSH OUR ENEMIES, SEE THEM DRIVEN BEFORE US, AND TO HERE THE LAMENTATIONS OF THEIR WOMEN.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Dr. Moore wrote:In summary, of all non-profits in America, mission statements that mention "enemies" are either (1) United States Armed Forces veteran support groups, or (2) The Interpreter Foundation.
You said "emphasis added" after both, did you mean just the bold or did you put the Interpreter's mission statement in all caps?
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

I noticed that The Interpreter just filed an Amended Mission Statement. It now reads as follows:
"Our main mission is to facilitate the transfer of money from Parowan widow's accounts to our back pockets. Another of our core functions is to make ourselves look important by demonstrating our pseudo-scholarship and pseudo-authority. We care about the planet and therefore recycle all of the literature we print. Another mission of ours is to devise mind-bending and complex answers to the simplest questions. Ignorance on the part of our donors and insatiable greed on our/DCP's part make for a potent combination of ridiculous articles and services. We pride ourselves in creating perceived value from nothing since 2012."
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Flemming
Valiant A

Post by Flemming »

drumdude wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:11 pm
Flemming wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:12 pm
I doubt that’s true. At 93, one has outlived most of their friends.
They’re younger than him…
Edit: pretty sure he can’t leave his house.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:36 pm
TO RESEARCH AND DESCRIBE THE RESTORATION OF THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST AS REVEALED TO JOSEPH SMITH AND WITH QUALITY, FAITH PROMOTING SCHOLARSHIP BY PUBLISHING ON-LINE A JOURNAL FREE OF CHARGE TO THE PUBLIC. TO RESPOND TO QUESTIONS FROM THOSE GENUINELY INVESTIGATING THE RESTORATION. TO SPEAK IN DEFENSE OF THE RESTORATION AGAINST CRITICS, ENEMIES, AND DETRACTORS. TO PROVIDE AND PURSUE RELATED CHARITABLE SERVICES AND PURPOSES.(emphasis added)
TO PROTECT OUR FLANKS, AND TO CRUSH OUR ENEMIES, SEE THEM DRIVEN BEFORE US, AND TO HERE THE LAMENTATIONS OF THEIR WOMEN.

- Doc
That has been DCP's motto since 1978, when he had hair.

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Flemming
Valiant A

Post by Flemming »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:36 pm

- Doc
*HEAR
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Flemming wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:55 pm
drumdude wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:11 pm
They’re younger than him…
Edit: pretty sure he can’t leave his house.
So, your assertion is that Midgley is a liar?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Great find, Dr. Moore. Mopologetics cannot exist without enemies. And for the most part, they *create* their own adversaries, such as the fights they've picked with the Transhumanists, the Heartlanders, and many others.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14