Merry Smithmas!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Tom
Regional Representative

Merry Smithmas!

Post by Tom »

“What’s typical, to me, of the way the Lord seems to do things, is out of very humble circumstances, in this spot, a very small home, and there is born a babe who will change the course of history.” D. Todd Christofferson

I trust one and all will celebrate Smithmas today with a cake and Smithmas carols, including Praise to the Man. I implore all to remember the true meaning of Smithmas!
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Kishkumen
God

Re: Merry Smithmas!

Post by Kishkumen »

Thank you, Tom, for not letting the day pass unmarked. I hope that someday Smithmas receives the bountiful attention it merits.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

As for me and my house, we plan to put up Smithmas lights and relate the story of Joseph’s advent today.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:59 pm
Thank you, Tom, for not letting the day pass unmarked. I hope that someday Smithmas receives the bountiful attention it merits.
I’m glad to do it. Thank you sharing the beautiful image of Saint Joseph. I have printed and displayed it in anticipation of tonight’s devotions.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Smithmas is the holiday every Mormon instinctively celebrates until it's pointed out to them, and then they pretend it's just a coincidence.

In this way, it's one of the greatest holidays, because it's a holiday of the collective unconscious, not a holiday prescribed by a king or higher religious authority.

It's impossible to believe that Smithmas isn't real. Why would God set both events in such close proximity if they weren't meant to go together? And on the small chance it is a coincidence, what is the chance that God wouldn't approve of faithful members being mistaken on that point, thinking they were meant to go together? Wouldn't that be a mistake in the direction of greater faith?

Imagine if Nephi were to leave his tent one morning to discover an open jar of peanut butter and a thick bar of chocolate resting on top. He brings his finding back to the tent to show all. It's remarked by various family members that the findings are a gift from God, and they eat with gratitude. The two gifts are distributed separately, and it occurs to none of them to dip the chocolate into the peanut butter. Unlikely. But this is what the apologists would have you believe.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

I’m pleased to see that the Church News is celebrating Smithmas with this tribute to Joseph:

https://www.thechurchnews.com/history/2 ... estoration

President Hinckley’s prophetic words of long ago are truly coming to pass: “His birthday will grow in recognition and in importance as the years pass and the Church continues to grow.”
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

From Tom's link:
Sarah Jane Weaver: Why it is fitting that Joseph Smith was born during the Christmas season
Elder Cook’s reflection from Carthage is the same reflection we each share this December as we celebrate two births — the Savior of the World and the Prophet who restored the Savior’s Church to the earth and died a martyr to His cause.
Holy crap.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Tom wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:11 pm
I’m glad to do it. Thank you sharing the beautiful image of Saint Joseph. I have printed and displayed it in anticipation of tonight’s devotions.
Solidarity, brother!