Paul H. Dunn’s Blatant Lies

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
sock puppet
2nd Counselor

Re: Paul H. Dunn’s Blatant Lies

Post by sock puppet »

markc wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:55 am
Morley wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:45 pm
Thank you for posting this, Mark.
Thanks for reading it!

Also, your quote about how he claimed he evaded the fire in WWII, I remember I heard that in my mission. I didn't understand it too much as my English wasn't well enough then, but it seemed everyone there was moved. Awkward.

And it's so interesting you mentioned Jaredites in Book of Mormon. I remember the time I found the number of deaths to be nearly unreasonably big. China has a long history of bloody battles, but the most bloody ones probably weren't as many. I kind of started questioning a bit at that time.
They were moved by the Spirit. This is the problem with the LDS (and many other religions) "proof". The so-called witness by the Holy Ghost is just an emotion that can be triggered in any number of ways--in this case, by the telling of lies by Dunn. As I recall, Mormonism teaches that Lucifer is the father of all lies. So even the 'witness of the Spirit' can be induced by Lucifer. The biggest trick of LDS missionaries is to know that when the investigator experiences an emotion to connect the dots, claim to the investigator that the Spirit has just attested to that investigator the truthfulness of the LDS pitch that the missionaries have been making. It is a fallacy, one used to hoodwink the unsuspecting into joining, coughing up 10% of their increase, etc, etc. The LDS shill nothing more than a parlor-trick scam. I'm ashamed I was ever gullible enough to buy into that crap, but there was a time that I did.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
markc
Star A

Post by markc »

sock puppet wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:53 am
The biggest trick of LDS missionaries is to know that when the investigator experiences an emotion to connect the dots, claim to the investigator that the Spirit has just attested to that investigator the truthfulness of the LDS pitch that the missionaries have been making. It is a fallacy, one used to hoodwink the unsuspecting into joining, coughing up 10% of their increase, etc, etc. The LDS shill nothing more than a parlor-trick scam. I'm ashamed I was ever gullible enough to buy into that crap, but there was a time that I did.
Indeed. In fact, I used to be a missionary, and let me tell you: the pressure from the mission president and the church was so big, all we cared about was the number--the number of lessons taught per week, the number of investigators, the number of baptisms, etc., etc. We were 110% salespeople. With that, you can understand what I was going to say to the investigators. I'd say anything to get him into the pool... not exactly like blatant "lies," but tactics like guilt trip or "there's no choice but to obey" surely were used. Well, in my case, eventually I still couldn't betray my own conscious so my numbers were very low. But you get the point. And I know some missionaries just reported fake numbers.

Actually, I lied a bit. We also cared about the "positions:" being a district leader, a zone leader, or the highest glory, the assistant to the president (AP) (These positions were only for boys though; girls only have one position, sister leader or something). That's another story.

I never regretted being a missionary; it was a good learning experience. Not pleasant at all, but it was a good "training." I only regretted teaching people something I thought was truth. But that wasn't on me.
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

If you get shot your clothes will likely be shredded, all right, but it’s hard to have your clothes shredded and not at least get your skin grazed. That would be an amazing fluke. Clothes are thin.

Having a pack that you’re wearing get hit is not so unlikely, though. Infantry since at least WW1 have worn webgear, which is a set of packs and pouches attached to straps that go around your waist and over your shoulders, kind of like one of those baby carriers. You’ll have a canteen on there, a pack with extra clothes and food, and as much extra ammunition as you can carry. You can end up looking like the Michelin man with it all.

Among people who had near misses a lot may have had some of that stuff get hit.

I don’t believe flak jackets were common issue in WW2.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Physics Guy wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:46 pm
If you get shot your clothes will likely be shredded, all right, but it’s hard to have your clothes shredded and not at least get your skin grazed. That would be an amazing fluke. Clothes are thin.
But ... don't you see?

That PROVES it was a miracle!
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.