How tenuous are social clubs and religions now?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
sock puppet
2nd Counselor

How tenuous are social clubs and religions now?

Post by sock puppet »

A handful of decades ago, social clubs like the Elks, Eagles, the Odd Fellows and Rebekahs, etc. were thriving. Business-networking clubs like Rotary, Kiwanis and Civitan were hard to join in many areas because they were "full." Organized religions flourished as a way to socialize with neighbors and local communities. Each was an important contributor to the societal fabric.

Not only has the information age exposed religions, especially Mormonism, for its mistruths and quarter-truths (can't say with a straight face that many things Mormon even amount to half-truths anymore), but also been a cause for an unraveling of that social fabric. It is tattered and frayed. People meet others with like interests on the internet. Out my window on Thursday evenings in the summer I can observe cosplay of knights with their wooden broadswords and damsels, not so much in distress but in fancy late middle ages garb. I was staying at a hotel in Denver two years ago when a teenage furries convention was taking place. Neither appeals to me, but they now find each other with ease on the internet and then meet in real life settings.

We do not have as much civil discourse and courtesies as before. Growing up, I had strong political views, but that did not prevent me or others from hanging out together with those that came from households that held different views just as strongly as I did mine.

In recent years, I've been hit up several times with more frequency and vigor to join this or that club, even a country club that needs all the new dues payers that it can get to keep the golf course, tennis courts, pool, clubhouse and even the restaurant open and cared for properly. I don't even attend the local monthly dinners of members of my profession. I used to in order to get continuing ed credits to keep my license up-to-date and active, but now, I just stream podcasts while driving and fulfill the credit requirements of my licensing.

Life is becoming more cold and more brutish even as good quality food and medical care make it not so short anymore.

As their numbers drop, I do see that many of the remaining members of these diminishing clubs and organizations, including Mormonism, are becoming more adamant in their support for the organization to which they have long belonged. For example, when TBMs try to re-convert me and I mention the Joseph Smith Papers, I have heard on a handful of occasions that the TBM has read all of that and nothing in those volumes troubles him or her. When I ask how long it took to read it through, it quickly becomes evident from their answer that they have not but at most cracked open the first chapter of one volume. Two of them were surprised when I explained that the JSP spanned more than one volume. Obviously someone from the pulpit at their meeting house chapel had made such a claim--to have read through the JSP in its entirety and proclaimed it was a nothing burger for criticism of "the church."

I am curious if those of human vintage like me have observed these or similar trends and developments.

I am also curious of what you think of those that have dug their heels of allegiance to the organization in deeper in the face of membership attrition and inactivity postulate to be the psychological phenomenon going on. Is it an illustration of the fallacy of sunken costs (i.e., they've devoted so much of their lives to the organization that they must turn their heads and not look at the facts, hoping like Pascal's Wager that there might be some post-life reward)? Is it to yet have a club to belong to? What else might it be.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Philo Sofee
God

Re: How tenuous are social clubs and religions now?

Post by Philo Sofee »

Interesting....
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

sock puppet wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:21 pm
Life is becoming more cold and more brutish even as good quality food and medical care make it not so short anymore.
I think you will find that one of the scientifically recognised factors contributing to a long and healthy life is regular and positive in-person interactions with other human beings. We did not evolve to get the same benefits from "life" (if you can call it that) online.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Thus, for instance:

Harvard Health: The health benefits of strong relationships
Many people enjoy family gatherings, getting together with friends, and participating in special religious, community, and workplace activities. Such occasions are an opportunity to check in with each other, exchange ideas, and perhaps lend some social support to each other.

Social connections like these not only give us pleasure, they also influence our long-term health in ways every bit as powerful as adequate sleep, a good diet, and not smoking. Dozens of studies have shown that people who have social support from family, friends, and their community are happier, have fewer health problems, and live longer.

Conversely, a relative lack of social ties is associated with depression and later-life cognitive decline, as well as with increased mortality. One study, which examined data from more than 309,000 people, found that lack of strong relationships increased the risk of premature death from all causes by 50% — an effect on mortality risk roughly comparable to smoking up to 15 cigarettes a day, and greater than obesity and physical inactivity.

What makes social connections healthful

Scientists are investigating the biological and behavioral factors that account for the health benefits of connecting with others. For example, they've found that it helps relieve harmful levels of stress, which can adversely affect coronary arteries, gut function, insulin regulation, and the immune system. Another line of research suggests that caring behaviors trigger the release of stress-reducing hormones.

Research has also identified a range of activities that qualify as social support, from offers of help or advice to expressions of affection. In addition, evidence suggests that the life-enhancing effects of social support extend to giver as well as to receiver.

All of this is encouraging news because caring involvement with others may be one of the easiest health strategies to access. It's inexpensive, it requires no special equipment or regimen, and we can engage in it in many ways.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

This is an important area where an increasing lack of religious community among societies is a pretty clear negative.

Even if the religion itself is false, it provides a very valuable social community. And that’s almost impossible to replicate without a religious motivation to gather regularly.

John Dehlin tried it and all he got was a bunch of swinger parties.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

sock puppet wrote:
But you earlier wrote:
People meet others with like interests on the internet. Out my window on Thursday evenings in the summer I can observe cosplay of knights with their wooden broadswords and damsels, not so much in distress but in fancy late middle ages garb. I was staying at a hotel in Denver two years ago when a teenage furries convention was taking place. Neither appeals to me, but they now find each other with ease on the internet and then meet in real life settings.
Why is life becoming more cold and more brutish when the opportunities to network and socialize have increased exponentially, and people are utilizing them?
drumdude wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:23 pm
John Dehlin tried it and all he got was a bunch of swinger parties.
What's his secret?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
sock puppet
2nd Counselor

Post by sock puppet »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:42 pm
sock puppet wrote:
But you earlier wrote:
People meet others with like interests on the internet. Out my window on Thursday evenings in the summer I can observe cosplay of knights with their wooden broadswords and damsels, not so much in distress but in fancy late middle ages garb. I was staying at a hotel in Denver two years ago when a teenage furries convention was taking place. Neither appeals to me, but they now find each other with ease on the internet and then meet in real life settings.
Why is life becoming more cold and more brutish when the opportunities to network and socialize have increased exponentially, and people are utilizing them?
Due to there being as a consequence less face to face interactions and less tolerance of how others think differently.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

I'm not a member of any clubs but I know a bunch of Rotarians, and at least their particular local club doesn't seem to be about business networking. Its main purpose seems to be to provide a friendship group for achiever-type people who haven't had time to make friends on their own.

It doesn't seem sad, because it seems to work. They get together and have fun, and are there for each other in need. It's as though a bunch of pretty driven people noticed Hey, I forgot to make friends—and then did something about it. It's just not true that life's friendship window closes with high school or college. If your life is lacking in social contact, you may be able to fix that.

Maybe that old kind of club will come back into fashion. Or maybe the Rotary club that I know is a peculiarly German version. I don't think clubs ever really went out of style here.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I think generation and personality types factor into the effect of Internet communities. No hard data here, just a few thoughts. Sure, for Gen Z-r's who have lived their lives online, many may end up isolated but then who's to say that people can't evolve into a species where more isolation is normal?

For older folks who are introverts, online communities may offer more "community" than they could have ever hoped for in the good old days when they could be part of a real face-to-face community, but ignored.

And then for older folks who are socially inclined, the Internet increases market efficiency. They can fine-grain their tastes in people online, and then meet and get involved offline. Just look at Jan 6.
sock puppet
2nd Counselor

Post by sock puppet »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:35 am
I think generation and personality types factor into the effect of Internet communities. No hard data here, just a few thoughts. Sure, for Gen Z-r's who have lived their lives online, many may end up isolated but then who's to say that people can't evolve into a species where more isolation is normal?

For older folks who are introverts, online communities may offer more "community" than they could have ever hoped for in the good old days when they could be part of a real face-to-face community, but ignored.

And then for older folks who are socially inclined, the Internet increases market efficiency. They can fine-grain their tastes in people online, and then meet and get involved offline. Just look at Jan 6.
I did not think of Jan 6 as a real-life bonding moment for otherwise just internet acquaintances. Too bad they needed to do something different than just share laughs over beer at a local tavern.