Interpreter tries to fix one of their sharpshooter fallacies

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Interpreter tries to fix one of their sharpshooter fallacies

Post by drumdude »

Abstract: For decades, several Latter-day Saint scholars have maintained that there is a convergence between the location of Nahom in the Book of Mormon and the Nihm region of Yemen. To establish whether there really is such a convergence, I set out to reexamine where the narrative details of 1 Nephi 16:33–17:1 best fit within the Arabian Peninsula, independent of where the Nihm region or tribe is located. I then review the historical geography of the Nihm tribe, identifying its earliest known borders and academic interpretations of their location in antiquity.
https://journal.interpreterfoundation.o ... more-71517

On one hand, it’s refreshing to see Interpreter trying to acknowledge and attempt to fix one of myriad examples of the sharpshooter fallacy: Starting with the thing you want to prove and working backwards, ignoring any data that doesn’t fit.

On the other hand, it’s Interpreter and their mission to “fight enemies of the church” would never allow them to examine anything in an unbiased and truly independent way. It literally goes against their core mission statement.
Flemming
Valiant A

Re: Interpreter tries to fix one of their sharpshooter fallacies

Post by Flemming »

Please name and link five published (of the “many”) articles from Interpreter that use this fallacy.

No one help.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Flemming wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:47 am
Please name and link five published (of the “many”) articles from Interpreter that use this fallacy.

No one help.
Like that's going to be difficult. Muhlestein announced in a published speech that he literally starts his research with the lds-sanctioned conclusion, and works from there. Kyle Rasmussen's summaries will give you dozens in the last year alone.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Marcus wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:31 am
Flemming wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:47 am

No one help.
Like that's going to be difficult. Muhlestein announced in a published speech that he literally starts his research with the lds-sanctioned conclusion, and works from there. Kyle Rasmussen's summaries will give you dozens in the last year alone.
Bingo.

Flemming would know this if he hadn’t just wandered into the middle of the movie like a child.
Flemming
Valiant A

Post by Flemming »

drumdude wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:00 am
Marcus wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:31 am
Bingo.

Flemming would know this if he hadn’t just wandered into the middle of the movie like a child.
Waiting
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Waiting
pick 5 Interpreter articles at random and case closed.
Flemming
Valiant A

Post by Flemming »

Pick ‘em, let’s analyze them.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:37 am
Waiting
This lol.

I’m not wasting my time proving to you that the landfill is full of garbage.
Flemming
Valiant A

Post by Flemming »

drumdude wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:56 am
Gadianton wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:37 am
This lol.

Thought not. So just say stuff without backing it up in any way, just like High Spy.

Saw a pig fly the other day, I did. But I won’t waste my time proving it to you!
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Flemming wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:01 am
drumdude wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:56 am
This lol.

Thought not. So just say stuff without backing it up in any way, just like High Spy.

Saw a pig fly the other day, I did. But I won’t waste my time proving it to you!
Ok. In other news, the sun came up today, but there is no need to prove it to anyone.