What proofs are there against Christianity?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
hauslern
Bishop

What proofs are there against Christianity?

Post by hauslern »

Biology disproves Adam and Eve

https://humanorigins.si.edu/evidence/genetics

Engineering disproves Noah’s Ark
Cosmology disproves Intelligent Design
Statistics disproves power of prayer
Geology disproves a young earth
Archaeology disproves Moses and the Exodus (See Israel Finkelstein, The Bible Unearthed)

Anyone have suggestions for the others?

"A man with a conviction is a hard man to change. Tell him you disagree and he turns away. Show him facts or figures and he questions your sources. Appeal to logic and he fails to see your point." Festinger, When Prophecy Fails, p.3.
drumdude
God

Re: What proofs are there against Christianity?

Post by drumdude »

I personally find that the burden of proof is on the person making extraordinary claims. I can tell you there is a fairy in my garden but it’s not up to you to prove me wrong. You’re perfectly justified in dismissing my claim, or any religious person’s outrageous claim without any further thought.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Love & forgiveness comes from within your heart. You don't need a man nailed to a cross to forgive your wrongdoing or indiscretions. You don't need a man sweating blood from his brow in order to make things right. You don't need a god who demands blood sacrifices in order to be forgiven.

Say "NO" to the god of the Bible! You don't need a sack of garbage.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

drumdude wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:37 pm
I personally find that the burden of proof is on the person making extraordinary claims. I can tell you there is a fairy in my garden but it’s not up to you to prove me wrong. You’re perfectly justified in dismissing my claim, or any religious person’s outrageous claim without any further thought.
a WiTnEsS iS a KiNd Of PrOoF!

🤡
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

That list is like a critique of ball sports that is all about free throws, the three-point line, and the shot clock.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Yesterday, I was struck by God Himself with a pulled back muscle after clearing the latest Winter storm’s wrath off my deck and driveway, when it occurred to me it had been quite some time since I read the Warrior Cats saga, specifically my “Dawn of the Clans” set. So I picked up the box set, blew off the dust, and settled in for a treat - no one writes like “Erin Hunter”, and boy, what a treat it was to read those books again! As such, I was reminded of dear Tigerheart, who is nothing less than Jesus Christ in role and in spirit! Rawr!

Anyway, as things go, I had to take a crap, and as I was dropping trou I noticed my well-worn copy of CS Lewis’s famous book Mere Christianity resting on the water tank, somewhat appropriately I might add (forgive my not using periods after the C and the S, but only a pompous gasbag douche would do something like that in this day and age). So, I decided to read the book, cover to cover in the few minutes I vacated my bowels. Nothing like a good meal of soft serve coffee in a donut cone, with a shot of crème brûlée espresso followed by Austrian goat milk double-half-caf-half-decaf-soy milk cappuccino - extra hot - with a dash of Madagascar cinnamon-and half tablespoon of caramel-latte-frappa-mocha to get things going! As one foodie-apologist blogger might say, “It was good!”

Anyway, a handful of minutes later I was done. I not only had to wipe my backside, but I had to wipe away my tears. by the way, anyone recommend a good topical medicine for pinkeye?

I digress. I couldn’t help but notice Lewis contends that the universality of moral intuitions across cultures and civilizations suggests the existence of a moral law written into the fabric of the universe, pointing to a divine legislator as the source of this transcendent morality. An appeal to the masses, I suppose. Perhaps Lewis didn’t know or understand anything about evolutionary psychology, cultural relativism, and secular moral realism as a counter to the existence of a transcendent source - ie, God.

I’ll attempt to invoke a ‘Hitchslap’ of my own:

“In this grand human experiment, diverse societies flaunt their distinct moral codes with an almost rebellious zeal. The very variability in these norms raises an eyebrow at the claim of a universal moral law. It seems the cosmic moral script might have a few more writers than Lewis envisioned – a cacophony of human history, if you will.”

- Doc hitchslapping an idiot who thinks too highly of himself
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:22 pm
an idiot who thinks too highly of himself
I don't think that is a fair characterisation of Lewis, if that is what it is intended to be. His academic career marks him as, by any estimate, clever - he won a competitive scholarship to Oxford, then after service in the first World War, he won first class honours in Greek and Latin literature in 1920, Philosophy and Ancient History in 1922, and English in 1923. He went straight from that to being elected (more competition) as a Faculty member of Magdalen College, from whence he went on to a Professorship at Cambridge in 1954.

As for Lewis's suggestion of a common moral sense amongst human beings: I would not hold the same position that he did, but having visited and spent significant time living in an assortment of different countries of various religions or none, I have found that if people are not in great fear or want, and you can communicate with them enough for them to understand that you are acting with goodwill, they will usually reciprocate so far as their circumstances permit.

And just to be quite clear: I think his efforts at popular theology were a good deal more intelligent than some others in the field, but as an atheist I think that the positions he defended are ultimately untenable. But that does not mean he was an idiot.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

hauslern wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:26 pm

Archaeology disproves Moses and the Exodus (See Israel Finkelstein, The Bible Unearthed)

"A man with a conviction is a hard man to change. Tell him you disagree and he turns away. Show him facts or figures and he questions your sources. Appeal to logic and he fails to see your point." Festinger, When Prophecy Fails, p.3.
What a load of bollocks. Nothing is that simple.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Thank you, Chap. It was an ambiguous insult, but it wasn’t intended for Mr. Lewis. The fault lies entirely with me for the miscommunication.

- Doc
Last edited by Doctor CamNC4Me on Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

hauslern wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:26 pm

Geology disproves young earth. I was about 12 or 13 when hiking around a local canyon convinced me it was quite clear that the canyon is old, formed by erosion processes over a very long time. Observing the patterns allowed a person to keep track of where they were without roads or trails. I have enjoyed learning more about geological history and have seen how a record of much deeper time than that canyon can be seen. It did not appear to me then or now to be evidence for or against Christianity.

I have wondered about cosmology over the many years since that canyon investigation. I have seen nothing which demonstrates that there has been no intelligent design in creation. I have not seen intelligent design proven to be real by cosmology, either. It is true that the cosmos and life on earth are a development of ongoing processes not something that popped suddenly into existence. A Christian may see the process and principles that govern it and make it work out as it does as a result of intelligent design.
Last edited by huckelberry on Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.