FAIR Partners with the Valiant Conference: Has a New Mopologetic Organization Emerged?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Moksha
God

Re: FAIR Partners with the Valiant Conference: Has a New Mopologetic Organization Emerged?

Post by Moksha »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:49 am
Do I agree with Nibley's attack on Juanita Brooks? No way, but the guy was really funny.
I sense Shades would agree.

What about that nonsense Nibley said about Fawn Brodie?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Re: FAIR Partners with the Valiant Conference: Has a New Mopologetic Organization Emerged?

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Moksha wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:59 am
Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:49 am
Do I agree with Nibley's attack on Juanita Brooks? No way, but the guy was really funny.
I sense Shades would agree.

What about that nonsense Nibley said about Fawn Brodie?
It's sad, but Nibley's last few years were filled with incoherent, rambling nonsense (much like DCP's career).

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

I am pleased to announce that at least a portion of the schedule and speaker list for the 2024 FAIR Conference has been released.

FAIR acolytes will notice that this year's conference will be held over two days rather than three, and some presentations will be held simultaneously, requiring attendees to decide whether to attend an Insight Forum (IF) or follow the Covenant Inspire Path (IP). FAIR acolytes will also notice that several of the conference speakers have been given a decidedly brief amount of time to apologize. For example, the Proprietor will be forced to limit his soft-pedaling of Brigham Young to a mere 25 minutes. Finally, streaming is not free this year.

August 8

Session 1: Emily Snyder, "Your Unique Influence: Women's Leadership" (9:00 - 9:45 AM)

Session 3: Daniel Peterson, "Appreciating Brother Brigham" (10:29 - 10:54 AM)

Session 4B (IP): Empowering Voices: Digital Advocacy & Sacred Family Bonds (11:05 AM -12:05 PM)
Becky Squires: "Using Your Voice to #ShareGoodnessOnline"
Emma Ellis: "Kids, Covenants, and the Temple"

Session 5A (IF): LaJean Carruth, "Brigham Young on Brigham Young: His Life, Conversion, and Faith, in his Own Words" (1:30 – 2:30 PM)

Session 5B (IP): Panel Discussion: Fortifying Faith in Teens and Young Adults: Seminary and Institute Instructor Panel Discussion (1:30 - 2:30 PM)
Sean Dixon
Rob Dixon
Michael Preece
Chelsea Chipman

Session 6A (IF): Sarah Allen, "Spiritual Vaccination: Inoculating Yourself Against a Faith Crisis" (2:30 – 3:30 PM)

Session 6B (IP): Skyler Sorensen, "Removing Barriers to LGBTQ Belonging" (2:30 – 3:30 PM)

Session 8: Brent Andrewsen, Topic not announced (4:29-4:49 PM)

August 9

Session 9: Parker Wallbeck, "Navigating Media Sensationalism: Our Critical Thinking Crisis" (9:20 – 9:45 AM)

Session 11: Hayley Clark, "Why the Garment?" (10:29 – 10:49 AM)

Session 12: Josh Coates, "Moral Foundations of Current and Former Latter-day Saints" (11:07 – 11:37 AM) (see a related Deserted News piece here)

Session 13: Steven Harper, "CES Letters" (11:39 AM – 12:09 PM) (see here for the apparent source of the topic)

Session 14A (IF): Matt McBride, "Lessons Learned from the Joseph Smith Papers" (1:30 – 2:30 PM)

Session 14B (IP): Sacred Perspectives: Navigating Culture & Christ-Centered Confidence (1:30 – 2:30 PM)
Mandy Davis, "Viewing Today’s Culture Through the Lens of the Gospel"
Sonrisa Hasselbach, "Finding your confidence in today's world: A Christ centered perspective that can change everything"

Session 15A (IF): Aaron Miller: "Church Finances in Context: An Overview of History, Law, and Recent Controversies" (2:30 - 3:30 PM)

Session 15B (IP): Lynnette Sheppard, "We Do Not Doubt Our Mothers Knew It" (2:30 – 3:30 PM)

Session 16: Priscilla Davis, "Becoming Spiritually and Emotionally Resilient in Christ" (4:02 – 4:22 PM)

Session 17: Carol Rice, Topic not announced (4:24 – 4:44 PM)
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Congrats, Reverend. A direct response to you personally.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Wow. Nearly the entire conference is defensive apologetics, rather than positive apologetics. Multiple variations of "how to bury your head in the sand." There's nothing left to do but nitpick at the mounting evidence against the church and its brethren, I guess.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Tom wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 9:59 pm

Session 6A (IF): Sarah Allen, "Spiritual Vaccination: Inoculating Yourself Against a Faith Crisis" (2:30 – 3:30 PM)
Once the trepanning hole scabs over and heals above your pre-frontal cortex, you should have no more troubling thoughts or concerns. Dr. Peterson will personally check the efficacy of the first procedure with his dowsing rod.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
High Spy
1st Quorum of 70

Post by High Spy »

drumdude wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 4:38 am
Wow. Nearly the entire conference is defensive apologetics, rather than positive apologetics. Multiple variations of "how to bury your head in the sand." There's nothing left to do but nitpick at the mounting evidence against the church and its brethren, I guess.
Fake phony baloney pony 🐎
Aborigines that are actually in the UK
In indefinite introspection intending to baffle us with BS
Respite which is defined to mean delay; postpone; adjourn

About 10% of the corporate church is true and the rest is complete pigswill.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 1:44 am
Congrats, Reverend. A direct response to you personally.
I doubt it is a response to me personally. After all, I believe in giving Brother Brigham his due. I just don't feel obliged to like him or revere him beyond his role in settling the Latter-day Saints in the West. I can recognize a person's good points without feeling obliged to avoid acknowledging their faults. I remain very grateful not to have lived in Brigham's Deseret.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Tom wrote:
I am pleased to announce that at least a portion of the schedule and speaker list for the 2024 FAIR Conference has been released.

FAIR acolytes will notice that this year's conference will be held over two days rather than three, and some presentations will be held simultaneously, requiring attendees to decide whether to attend an Insight Forum (IF) or follow the Covenant Inspire Path (IP). FAIR acolytes will also notice that several of the conference speakers have been given a decidedly brief amount of time to apologize. For example, the Proprietor will be forced to limit his soft-pedaling of Brigham Young to a mere 25 minutes. Finally, streaming is not free this year.
There should be free streaming to stake centers, allowing Latter-day Saints who are interested to go to the nearest stake center and watch free of charge. Of course, then critics would make a big deal out of the LDS Church's official support of its apologists.

In any case, it looks like a very interesting program, and I would enjoy being able to attend. Alas, other obligations and the great distance between me and the event will keep me away. Someday, however, I would really like to go and see these folks in action in propria persona.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 12:37 pm
Tom wrote:

There should be free streaming to stake centers, allowing Latter-day Saints who are interested to go to the nearest stake center and watch free of charge. Of course, then critics would make a big deal out of the LDS Church's official support of its apologists.

In any case, it looks like a very interesting program, and I would enjoy being able to attend. Alas, other obligations and the great distance between me and the event will keep me away. Someday, however, I would really like to go and see these folks in action in propria persona.
Amen. Perhaps Josh Coates, the mind and the money behind the B.H. Roberts Foundation and Mormonr, can pick up the check for worldwide streaming for all Saints. I must confess, however, that I fear that Sister Clark’s presentation may not be suitable for many viewers, including Saints holding current temple recommends.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857