Pissing on "Frenchy"'s Grave?; Or, a Case Study in Mopologetic Selfishness

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Gadianton
God

Re: Pissing on "Frenchy"'s Grave?; Or, a Case Study in Mopologetic Selfishness

Post by Gadianton »

Doctor Scratch wrote:What's so funny is that he's been claiming over and over that he was hamstrung by the Church's own rules. But of course, he's only doing this after the fact. None of his old blog entries show him lifting so much as a pinkie finger to check up on Frenchy's records
It's hard to disagree with this. I get that people are giving Tangata a hard time for using A.I. to do temple work, but I respect Tangata for being a committed member. For walking the walk, so to speak.

As for other people: The very act of scrambling to get a defense together to hopefully show why he was justified in not lifting a finger just shows, as you point out, that he's never known what the policies are because he's never had an interest in the 3-fold mission.

It's as if he has a sign stuck to his shoulder that reads, "stay away wheel!"
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 12:39 am
Doctor Scratch wrote:What's so funny is that he's been claiming over and over that he was hamstrung by the Church's own rules. But of course, he's only doing this after the fact. None of his old blog entries show him lifting so much as a pinkie finger to check up on Frenchy's records
It's hard to disagree with this. I get that people are giving Tangata a hard time for using A.I. to do temple work, but I respect Tangata for being a committed member. For walking the walk, so to speak.

As for other people: The very act of scrambling to get a defense together to hopefully show why he was justified in not lifting a finger just shows, as you point out, that he's never known what the policies are because he's never had an interest in the 3-fold mission.

It's as if he has a sign stuck to his shoulder that reads, "stay away wheel!"
Indeed. It’s striking that all of the commentators at SeN are involved in serving the Church in various ways, but the Proprietor seems hard-pressed to name anything that he’s done.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

I searched for a few minutes to see if Dan ever mentioned submitting the name of a relative for baptism. I didn’t find any instances of it.

It seems when he attends the temple he just gets a random name from the machine.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Post by I Have Questions »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 9:23 pm
What's so funny is that he's been claiming over and over that he was hamstrung by the Church's own rules. But of course, he's only doing this after the fact. None of his old blog entries show him lifting so much as a pinkie finger to check up on Frenchy's records, or anything like that. Heck, he did not even engage in missionary work in an effort to ease Frenchy's pain--i.e., by telling him that the Gospel could reunite him with his wife (though they would no longer be married).
And that’s the point. He's expending a lot of time now checking into the Church rules that were in place 11 years ago. But he did not look into it at the time. He’s using a lot of words to try and obfuscate the fact that he truly didn’t lift a finger to redeem Frenchy and his wife at the time the Lord placed such a golden opportunity in his way.

It’s bizarre that in attempting to use the Frenchy anecdote to laud the Church (and himself?) he failed to have the self-awareness to spot his own failure to live the Gospel by talking to Frenchy about the gospel, or by ensuring Frenchy’s temple work after his death. He was given two golden opportunities to be a good Saint, and he failed to notice either of them (neither of which would have been a problem had he not tried to use Frenchy as a faith/self promoting blog anecdote).
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Post by I Have Questions »

This Deseret News article by Samuel Wilkinson caught my attention: “Want to be happy? Try helping other people: The author of ‘Purpose’ explains the benefits of helping others, with no thought of reward.”
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... sages.html

The lack of self awareness is staggering.