Pissing on "Frenchy"'s Grave?; Or, a Case Study in Mopologetic Selfishness

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Rivendale
God

Re: Pissing on "Frenchy"'s Grave?; Or, a Case Study in Mopologetic Selfishness

Post by Rivendale »

So did Tangeta violate this?
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

At this point, it's obvious DCP has no intention of doing Frenchy's temple work. Thanks to Dr. Shades, you can now buy a Free Frenchy t-shirt for only $89.99. Some proceeds will eventually go to the Free Frenchy Foundation. Together we can make a difference. Please join me in this good cause.

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

drumdude wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:59 am
The church released this guidance in 2012:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/chu ... s?lang=eng

The clear message is “don’t get us into hot water by baptizing Holocaust victims or celebrities.” The request to work on your own line only, is basically just a request. They have since made it a very specific rule, as Daniel posted.
And how much effort into working out his own line has he put in?
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Rivendale wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:07 am
That’s a very good point, Rivendale. Back when tangata was kissing Dr. Peterson’s butt about this, DCP declared that this apparent violation of Church policy was “Wonderful!” You see: the rules don’t matter when DCP is angling for clicks on his blog; when that’s the goal, he’ll do whatever he likes. But when his selfishness is pointed out? Oh, no! The rules! Those gosh darned *rules*! He *would* have tried to help Frenchy if it weren’t for those crummy, draconian rules!
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Gadianton wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:45 am
drumdude wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:59 am
The church released this guidance in 2012:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/chu ... s?lang=eng

The clear message is “don’t get us into hot water by baptizing Holocaust victims or celebrities.” The request to work on your own line only, is basically just a request. They have since made it a very specific rule, as Daniel posted.
And how much effort into working out his own line has he put in?
Very good question. Whose names has he submitted in this very extremely important, life and death duty? There’s nothing in life more important, save cruises, buffets, and all expense paid trips to Hawaii.
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Post by I Have Questions »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:48 am
Rivendale wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:07 am
That’s a very good point, Rivendale. Back when tangata was kissing Dr. Peterson’s butt about this, DCP declared that this apparent violation of Church policy was “Wonderful!” You see: the rules don’t matter when DCP is angling for clicks on his blog; when that’s the goal, he’ll do whatever he likes. But when his selfishness is pointed out? Oh, no! The rules! Those gosh darned *rules*! He *would* have tried to help Frenchy if it weren’t for those crummy, draconian rules!
I suppose there’s also then questions about what effort DCP put into reaching out to Frenchy’s family to ensure his temple work was done - I’m guessing, he did nothing. And the question about the Church policy - if Frenchy can only have his temple work done by family, what does he do if he has no living relatives, and no living relatives who are Mormons?

DCP’s defence of his inertia towards Frenchy’s eternal week being, beyond using it as cheap Blog fodder, seems to be coming out of both sides of his mouth…
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Dan looking up Frenchy to see that he had died a non-member feels a lot like Christopher Hitchen's answer to "what gets you up in the morning?"
Hitchens wrote:Well, I can only answer for myself. What cheers me up? I suppose mainly gloating over the misfortunes of other people. Yes, I guess that has to be it. Mainly, crowing over the misery of others. It doesn‘t always work, but it never completely fails. And then there’s irony. Sex can have diminishing returns, but it’s amazing. No, that‘s pretty much it. Then it’s clear onto the grave.
It seems DCP has a little of this streak in himself.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

I Have Questions wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:29 pm
Doctor Scratch wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:48 am
I suppose there’s also then questions about what effort DCP put into reaching out to Frenchy’s family to ensure his temple work was done - I’m guessing, he did nothing. And the question about the Church policy - if Frenchy can only have his temple work done by family, what does he do if he has no living relatives, and no living relatives who are Mormons?

DCP’s defence of his inertia towards Frenchy’s eternal week being, beyond using it as cheap Blog fodder, seems to be coming out of both sides of his mouth…
He could be following Midgley's father's advice. If I recall correctly, the midge said his dad told him doing genealogy was women's work.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

Did he follow this advice from his dad?
My father liked to lecture me: “When you are listening to somebody trying to teach you, imagine yourself trying to teach them something. What will you say? Will you know what you’re talking about? Will you have any real conviction? Will you tell dumb stories or unknowingly get things wrong? Will you get off on some crackpot tangent? Or will you be willing to tolerate the quirkiness of others since you have to hope they will tolerate you?”
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Rivendale wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:37 pm
Did he follow this advice from his dad?
My father liked to lecture me: “When you are listening to somebody trying to teach you, imagine yourself trying to teach them something. What will you say? Will you know what you’re talking about? Will you have any real conviction? Will you tell dumb stories or unknowingly get things wrong? Will you get off on some crackpot tangent? Or will you be willing to tolerate the quirkiness of others since you have to hope they will tolerate you?”
Dan fundamentally lacks humility. He believes that he has a personal relationship with a supernatural deity that controls his eternal salvation. If that isn’t narcissism to the most extreme degree, I don’t know what is.

I don’t know who or what created me, I don’t know what happens after death, and I don’t know anyone with supernatural powers. I think that ability to be humble or j the face of uncertainty is an important part of growing up into adulthood.