Selling Infinity

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
yellowstone123
Bishop

Selling Infinity

Post by yellowstone123 »

I sometimes think about the LDS blueprint plan: families are forever, it is sealed, a done deal. Follow the prophet, attend the temple, pay your tithings et. al.

Sometimes I wonder about Buddhism which stresses nonattachment and impermanency. People do become attached to other humans and other warm-blooded things such as a dog or cat, but humans can also attach to cars, antiques, jobs, real estate, and so on. Buddhism teaches impermanency and non-attachment. Impermanency lets us know that problems don’t last forever, and bliss isn’t permanent.

The evidence of impermanency is all around us, has been before us and will be here after we are gone. If you reach 85 years old, you’ve had around 3 billion heart beats and 700 million breaths and although it seems like a large number it is finite, not infinite. Many other warm-blooded mammals get less.

It seems the LDS church focuses on the infinite instead of evidence that things are finite, and they will sell you the infinite. By age 90 you’ve been here a long time, seen a lot, you can no longer run the track like you did at age 14, walking hurts, everything hurts. If you reach age 100, you sleep most of the day and can be thankful that this life is finite.

If you believe that pain and suffering are impermanent then you will likely reach peaceful times when you realize it. If you listen to those that sell the infinite, you will likely wonder if you made it, did you do enough and even during that time you will live at times in despair, pain and harm. Sometimes I don’t understand the LDS church selling the infinite. One can be in touch with the now through breathing, mindfulness and other concepts. You shouldn’t have to buy the infinite.

https://bycommonconsent.com/2024/04/18/ ... ore-122881
“one of the important things for anybody in power is to distinguish between what you have the right to do and what is right to do." Potter Stewart, associate justice of the Supreme Court - 1958 to 1981.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Re: Selling Infinity

Post by Dr. Shades »

yellowstone123 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:30 am
Sometimes I don’t understand the LDS church selling the infinite. One can be in touch with the now through breathing, mindfulness and other concepts.
You just conflated two unrelated things. The LDS church isn't selling "the now," so the church doesn't care that one can be in touch with "the now."

Sort of like how Taco Bell doesn't care whether McDonald's or Burger King's french fries taste better.
You shouldn’t have to buy the infinite.
Right, but there are plenty of people looking to get it somehow, and are willing to pony up the cash to obtain it.

There are lots of things people shouldn't have to do, but do anyway, don't you think?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
yellowstone123
Bishop

Re: Selling Infinity

Post by yellowstone123 »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:25 am
yellowstone123 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:30 am
Sometimes I don’t understand the LDS church selling the infinite. One can be in touch with the now through breathing, mindfulness and other concepts.
You just conflated two unrelated things. The LDS church isn't selling "the now," so the church doesn't care that one can be in touch with "the now."

Sort of like how Taco Bell doesn't care whether McDonald's or Burger King's french fries taste better.
You shouldn’t have to buy the infinite.
Right, but there are plenty of people looking to get it somehow, and are willing to pony up the cash to obtain it.

There are lots of things people shouldn't have to do, but do anyway, don't you think?
Hi Dr. Shades. If somehow, I wrote the church is selling "the now" then I errored. But I don't think I wrote that. I think the church sells eternal plans. The highest plan includes many things it individuals needs to do and you know what they are: baptism, temple marriage, attending church, attending the temple, paying your tithing, supporting family, staying away from critics, et. al.

The highest plan includes infinity: an infinite number of spiritual offspring. At church members will be reminded over and over about the highest plan and what needs to be done to obtain it. It can at times be frustrating and if members start experiencing depression, anxiety, or withdrawing from things they like then they might need to reassess the plan and seek counseling from someone outside church's resources.

As to the finite: The human heart and lungs have expiration times. So do knees, hips, eyes, ears, etc. There is abundant evidence. Do eyes, ears, heart and lungs exist again many years after death - sort of like Ezekiel's dry bones. Some 18-year-olds think they do and want to sell the plan. Ask that 18-year-old for a blessing for a rejuvenated knee as the new knee replacement will drain your funds. Those funds could have been put in a medical savings account, but they instead went to tithing.

Others may enjoy life more by realizing the gifts they have now such as the gift of health – sight, hearing, walking, breathing can bring joy but know it's finite.

As to Fast Food. I never worked in the fast-food industries, but I'm sure they are looking at the other guy. If one thinks another is copying a menu item they might file a lawsuit. I'm also sure that people at Taco Bell eat at McDonalds.
“one of the important things for anybody in power is to distinguish between what you have the right to do and what is right to do." Potter Stewart, associate justice of the Supreme Court - 1958 to 1981.