Hello, Possums...My Final Exit from MD&D

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Canadiandude2
CTR B

Re: Hello, Possums...My Final Exit from MD&D

Post by Canadiandude2 »

I have graduated and am also moving on.

There’s just no need for me to be hyper-vigilant about the church I decided, as the best ways to counteract any harm it does is to engage with the broader public, on issues that matter, and which often are much larger than the church itself.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

“Brethren, 225,000 of you are here tonight."
Does BYU (or anywhere in Utah County) have a space to seat 225,000 people?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

...As to your point that I didn't attribute or give credit to the bolded blue parts you have highlighted, frankly I didn't even notice them within the body of LDS quotes in my OP...so yes I'm guilty on failing to cite those parts...since I hadn't gone to the bother of reading each and every line in the cut and paste....
You cut and pasted, whole cloth, the vast majority of an entire article someone else published online, without reading what you cut and pasted? And without giving credit for the research, the extra commentary, even the layout and headings of the article, to the site you took it from?
I guess I just see things differently.
Yes, apparently so. Posting other people's work requires an attribution. A comment made on mdd:
...all you had to do was say “oops, yep, that’s where I got them”...
https://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/75 ... 1210184420
Agreed.
High Spy
1st Quorum of 70

Post by High Spy »

Canadiandude2 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:39 pm
I dunno what happened to the comment I just wrote so I’ll just say good for you, and yeah, I too started to rethink my relationship with the church recently.

My realization? Let the natural consequences happen. Only engage with apologists and TBM’s re: the church if it’s personally rewarding, and likely to be consequential for some achievable public good.
Thank you Canadian Dude … your words rang true, and greatly aided my efforts to deal with a difficult situation, by creating the forum thread quoted below. BeNotDeceived is also my username on Mormon Dialog, where I made a few posts.
Re: Some Achievable Public Good
https://slogbog.com/viewtopic.php?t=1173

I’ve been thinking about a pattern that a good friend shared with me. It’s about an upcoming date … Said circle appeared in the Arctic Circle and a brief blurb about it was posted on LDS-FF by my alter-ego, BeNotDeceived. It greatly encouraged me to improve an invention of mine whose aim is to promote an achievable public good.
Canadiandude2
CTR B

Post by Canadiandude2 »

High Spy wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:00 am

Thank you Canadian Dude … your words rang true, and greatly aided my efforts to deal with a difficult situation, by creating the forum thread quoted below. BeNotDeceived is also my username on Mormon Dialog, where I made a few posts.
Re: Some Achievable Public Good
https://slogbog.com/viewtopic.php?t=1173

I’ve been thinking about a pattern that a good friend shared with me. It’s about an upcoming date … Said circle appeared in the Arctic Circle and a brief blurb about it was posted on LDS-FF by my alter-ego, BeNotDeceived. It greatly encouraged me to improve an invention of mine whose aim is to promote an achievable public good.
That’s bait. Heh
Canadiandude2
CTR B

Post by Canadiandude2 »

Say one becomes an expert in a field regarding which conservative Mormons seek to promote false information or their own exclusive interests above wider or more marginalized interests.

Calling attention to, and intervening on the matter in your expert capacity will do far more good than anonymous banter about Daniel Peterson’s latest blog.

Daniel Peterson doesn’t matter. He’s a man stuck in the hell of a broken record. His own field put him to pasture. Let him there remain.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

That exists as a field?
Canadiandude2
CTR B

Post by Canadiandude2 »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:48 pm
That exists as a field?
Can you be more specific? And explain your reasoning so as to demonstrate you aren’t trolling?

Everyone has a field. There’s no need to engage or counter apologists or (belligerent) church-associated actors through inefficient means that outside one’s expertise.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Canadiandude2 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:53 pm
Marcus wrote:
That exists as a field?
Can you be more specific? And explain your reasoning so as to demonstrate you aren’t trolling?

Everyone has a field. There’s no need to engage or counter apologists or (belligerent) church-associated actors through inefficient means that outside one’s expertise.
I liked her comment, the mopologetic “field” such that it is basically exists as one big joke.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Canadiandude2 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:53 pm
Marcus wrote:
That exists as a field?
Can you be more specific?
Sure. I was responding to this (bolded by me) apparent definition of a field:
Canadiandude2 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:39 pm
Say one becomes an expert in a field regarding which conservative Mormons seek to promote false information or their own exclusive interests above wider or more marginalized interests.
And explain your reasoning so as to demonstrate you aren’t trolling?
Lol. Sure. I was making a joke re what defines a field. But, I'm happy to explain it was a joke about conservative Mormons infiltrating fields, if it helps assuage your troll-dar.
Interesting opinion. It would certainly limit conversations. What do you mean by "(belligerent) church-associated actors"?