Numbers...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Valo
Deacon

Re: Numbers...

Post by Valo »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 8:01 pm
Valo wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 5:07 pm
Scriptures do say everything denotes there is a God.
After I bought a PT Cruiser, I saw them everywhere. After I bought a Saturn Vue, I saw them everywhere. After I bought a Hyundai Sonata, I saw them everywhere. My friends told me that they always looked at the clock when it was 2:45. After that, I began noticing when it was 2:45.

After the first time I noticed an airplane shadow go over top of my, I seem to notice them all of the time. The likelihood that a (relatively) small object flying at a high speed, and various times of the day could pass perfectly between me and the sun, as I'm moving throughout my day as well... seems impossibly unlikely. Yet, it happens. A lot.

That doesn't mean there's some supreme creator deity pulling every thread of the cosmos to make a plane fly over me, as I walk or drive.

We see patterns because we've evolved to see them. Seeing them helped us survive as a species. That we try to affix meaning to those patterns is just an interesting little glitch to the system. This is why slot machines are addictive. There is no pattern, but the brain is chasing finding one... subconsciously just one more pull and the pattern will become clear. Or, just one more prayer, or one more trip to church, or one more act of devotion or faith... and the pattern of a supreme deity will become clear. The fact that there is no actual pattern is what can make it feel so rewarding, and make us create a pattern and meaning where none exists.
And just because you made a post saying "just because " doesn't mean anything either.

Everything is meaningless anyway.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Valo wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 8:50 pm
And just because you made a post saying "just because " doesn't mean anything either.

Yup. Pretty cool, huh?
Valo
Deacon

Post by Valo »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 9:12 pm
Valo wrote:

Yup. Pretty cool, huh?
“Everything is meaningless, only words have meaning because they point to something other than themselves. The word water is not drinkable but it points to the drinkable reality.” - AW
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Valo wrote:

Doctor Steuss wrote:

Yup. Pretty cool, huh?
Valo wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 9:16 pm
“Everything is meaningless, only words have meaning...
So, wait. Is everything meaningless, or not? Everything is meaningless, but words have meaning???? come on. Pick a side.
Valo
Deacon

Post by Valo »

Marcus wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 11:30 pm
Valo wrote:

Doctor Steuss wrote:

Yup. Pretty cool, huh?
Valo wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 9:16 pm
“Everything is meaningless, only words have meaning...
So, wait. Is everything meaningless, or not? Everything is meaningless, but words have meaning???? come on. Pick a side.
Which side do you pick?

What do you mean, pick a side?

Do you disagree that everything is meaningless, only words have meaning?

What's he talking about?
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Valo wrote:We create instruments in science all of the time to detect things we can't detect with our natural senses. When a new instrument gets created it is met with skepticism at first which makes sense.
Too bad its all meaningless. Even when the skepticism fades and the measurements are better accepted, they are just as meaningless as they ever were.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.
High Spy
Apostle

Post by High Spy »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 1:42 am
Valo wrote:We create instruments in science all of the time to detect things we can't detect with our natural senses. When a new instrument gets created it is met with skepticism at first which makes sense.
Too bad its all meaningless. Even when the skepticism fades and the measurements are better accepted, they are just as meaningless as they ever were.

Welcome aboard matey. 8-)

The first instrument that came to Spy’s mind aided our quest to measure a vector orthogonal to what Leo thought the first scientific instrument was.
https://brave.com/leo/ wrote:
The concept of a "first" scientific instrument is complex, as the definition of a scientific instrument has varied over time. However, one of the earliest known scientific instruments is the astrolabe, used for astronomical measurements since ancient times. It was used to measure the position of the sun, time, and latitude.
(Orthogonal, excepting Perpendicular) ⚔️

(These instruments combined … made navigation of the northern hemisphere possible, but not the south.) :mrgreen:
Valo
Deacon

Post by Valo »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 1:42 am

Thank you.

What do you mean? ;)

Some thoughts that came to mind for me...

Well, I mean I can't deny that as far as when I look at the world from a certain point of view that it's weird and meaningless.

So for example, I think back through my life. I was born. I don't remember a big chunk from after birth until I was maybe 3 and definitely memories by 4 years old. As far as I can remember I had no idea what the “F” I was doing here, why, what, or anything. The only thing I knew was when I felt hungry, thirsty, or in pain due to illness or otherwise. Then I knew how good it felt to get food or to have the pain go away.

When I was 3 I did not have any expectations, really, about the world around me. I had parents and siblings who basically informed Mr what is what. I was taught I had to wear clothes and do my hair and brush my teeth. I had to go to bed at a certain time. Eventually I was sent away to a school and in school I was taught, besides reading, math, and science, but also culture and social rules and I had to follow rules that were basically arbitrary, etc. My parents went to work and we went to church on Sundays and we did these things on Christmas and we believed this and then I had religious leaders and, voila, next thing you know I'm going through that lifestyle of I can't wait until high-school and then I'll need a career and I'll need to make some money and so I'll be happy when I get my first car. Or I'll be happy when I get through high school and am an adult and can do what I want. Or perhaps after I get my degree and land my dream job. Or maybe when I meet that special someone and we get married and then I'll have meaning, etc.

And yes there is meaning there and so on, but my point is that we are given a certain pair of glasses to see the world through, in this process of growing up in our Western society let's say and when we view the world through this lense we can miss certain aspects of reality that are real but we just aren't looking at them or can't seem them because we don't have the correct instrument.

Unless we are about to deny reality and that physical, material realm doesn't exists, and I doubt any of you would stake your actual life on it that it does not, then there is a point where philosophy ends and things like physical pain or injury, etc. matters. It's gonna matter to the person experiencing the pain or the suffering.

There is a reason why the way of the world is the way it is and that is because it is profitable. Nobody really does something good. There usually is some hidden purpose. There always is, really. Why do we do anything for each other, ever? Don't we post out here to get a dopamine boost or maybe we don't anymore but used too? Or do we say things to get social validation? And why do we want validation if everything is meaningless? Clearly the it's meaningful to the person who wants validation from others. But why? Why do we want others to like us? To accept us? So society can keep functioning? Begs the question. So we can get something in return? So we can work together? Question begging too. Seems it boils down to survival. We want to keep surviving and living and going on doing what we do. Which is, what?

What do we do? We go to work, we come home, do our thing, family, hobbies, shop, browse, chill, eat, drink, have sex, watch TV, movies, plays, I mean you name it, we are doing it. And it seems like we just want that to go on at least for ourselves or our family.

I mean most people I guess are happy with how the world is and feel personal peace and joy day to day or a sense of fulfillment.

When does something become real?
Imwashingmypirate
God

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Marcus wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 3:32 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 2:46 pm

It's only a discussion Marcus. A matter of coincidence, probably is baloney, doesn't really need to affect you. I saw you've changed your reply. When I said freaky I was refering to every house number I've lived in having either a 5 or a 7 in the number. I understand there is no connection between numbers I notice and numbers other people notice. It's just interesting that we can feel feelings and emotions about colours, numbers and objects in a way that people can assign certain elements and characteristics to their being and define these things as being part of them or their favourite.
Are these things what makes us who we are?
I don't know who I am beyond what I do each day. Is that because I don't have a favourite colour, a particular style of clothing, I like various genres of music, I think the only thing about me that is consistent through the years is my addiction for Book of Mormon bay bad boy pot noodles.

What's your favourite colour?

Edit... Lol. B o m b a y b a d b o y.
And my contribution to the discussion, iamwashingmypirate, is to note that yes, attributing meaning to random coincidence is indeed baloney. You noticed my edit because Sagan says it better than I do. My expressing my opinion shouldn't really affect you either. But Sagan's work is amazing to read about, so I'd still recommend that.
[Thumbs up]
Imwashingmypirate
God

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

drumdude wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 3:38 pm
My inclination is toward Marcus’ way of thinking.

If someone really had some sort of supernatural connection with numbers, then they’d probably try to use it to win the lottery. Encryption, lotteries, probability, quantum mechanics… all of these things are based around numbers and when you look at it objectively, it’s all completely oblivious to our minds trying to make patterns where none exist.

That’s not to say certain numbers aren’t related to natural phenomena. But it’s not the numbers creating that phenomena, it’s the numbers that describe the phenomena.
I wouldn't go as far to believe there is a supernatural phenomena going on. I do believe numbers are man made, arbitrary labels. I have a bachelors in applied physics. I do think we can make emotional connections to arbitrary things though.

I do love the patterns in nature.
I have this knack for finding four leaf clovers. I once found a five leaf clover. But to me, I don't them because they jump out. They stand out. Sometimes I see them but I'm walking so fast that by the time I see them and process it, I've already walked past.