RFM on Kamp in Court

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: RFM on Kamp in Court

Post by Res Ipsa »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 4:53 pm
consiglieri wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 4:20 pm
I haven’t talked about these issues anywhere to my recollection.

Jenn Kamp filed a lawsuit against John Dehlin in Federal court alleging harassment, but she filed it in the wrong court system.

I think that was around January of 2023.

Jenn then did a podcast about her lawsuit, the allegations in it, and said she was not going to serve it on John Dehlin but would let it stand as a testament to his wrongdoing.

Based on this and other public and allegedly defamatory statements, John Dehlin and Open Stories Foundation filed a lawsuit against Jenn Kamp shortly after (February?) in state court.

Jenn Kamp’s federal case got dismissed because it was in the wrong court, I think, and the state action with Judge Faust is the only pending case to my knowledge.

The interlocutory appeal had something to do with an earlier ruling against Open Stories Foundation and John Dehlin that I think involved spoliation against Jenn Kamp, but I guess there was more alleged spoliation after the interloc was denied and so they are arguing it again before Judge Faust.

At some point Jenn Kamp took down the January 2023 podcast but now has put it up again as of last Sunday.
Is her claim to have spent 300K on legal fees a lie or delusion? What you describe above does not look like anything that would rack up such steep legal bills.
The docket in the case is over 500 entries, and they aren't even to pre-trial motions. That may indicate a very high level of motion practice, which would drive the cost up. The docket is publicly available for a fee, but I haven't been interested enough to get a copy.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Jenn Kamp’s reposted video:

https://youtu.be/uLJZ2R3MpDE
toon
CTR B

Post by toon »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 2:56 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 2:50 am
That’s what she told the judge in the hearing.
Don’t know how I missed that, except I found some of it difficult to hear.

Thanks!

That is totally bonkers. What a waste.
Or she's just not credible.

It's difficult so see how she could have run up a $300k tab in legal fees in such an irrelevant case. Unless she's paying up front, no decent attorney is going to take that risk. I know there's a counter claim against her, but I suspect this could all be resolved easily with a mutual agreement to just walk away.
toon
CTR B

Post by toon »

consiglieri wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 4:20 pm
I haven’t talked about these issues anywhere to my recollection.

Jenn Kamp filed a lawsuit against John Dehlin in Federal court alleging harassment, but she filed it in the wrong court system.

I think that was around January of 2023.

Jenn then did a podcast about her lawsuit, the allegations in it, and said she was not going to serve it on John Dehlin but would let it stand as a testament to his wrongdoing.

Based on this and other public and allegedly defamatory statements, John Dehlin and Open Stories Foundation filed a lawsuit against Jenn Kamp shortly after (February?) in state court.

Jenn Kamp’s federal case got dismissed because it was in the wrong court, I think, and the state action with Judge Faust is the only pending case to my knowledge.

The interlocutory appeal had something to do with an earlier ruling against Open Stories Foundation and John Dehlin that I think involved spoliation against Jenn Kamp, but I guess there was more alleged spoliation after the interloc was denied and so they are arguing it again before Judge Faust.

At some point Jenn Kamp took down the January 2023 podcast but now has put it up again as of last Sunday.
I'm not impressed with any of the parties to this case. Kamp has her issues. Dehlin and the Open Stories Foundation Board runs their business and foundation like it's amateur hour. Nobody seems to be able to let things go. It's a crap show, and they all smell like crap. Even I do for having paid the least be of attention to it.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

toon wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 6:14 pm
Kishkumen wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 2:56 am

Don’t know how I missed that, except I found some of it difficult to hear.

Thanks!

That is totally bonkers. What a waste.

It's difficult so see how she could have run up a $300k tab in legal fees in such an irrelevant case. Unless she's paying up front, no decent attorney is going to take that risk. I know there's a counter claim against her, but I suspect this could all be resolved easily with a mutual agreement to just walk away.
If I understand correctly, she is the defendant and there are no counterclaims. During the hearings, Plaintiffs' lawyers said they would drop the case in exchange for a retraction.
he/him

toon
CTR B

Post by toon »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 6:22 pm
toon wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 6:14 pm

If I understand correctly, she is the defendant and there are no counterclaims. During the hearings, Plaintiffs' lawyers said they would drop the case in exchange for a retraction.
That makes sense. It wasn't a counter claim but a separate claim in state court, likely in response to her claim in District court. Or something like that. Don't care enough for the details.

If that's the offer, then a simple resolution is on the table, even though it may not be a complete retraction. At the same time, if it's true that she's spending anywhere near close to $300k defending this claim, then it's also probably true that Open Stories Foundation is spending that much too. If I were a donor or potential donor to Open Stories Foundation, I'd think twice. As Kish saw, such a waste.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

toon wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 6:42 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:

That makes sense. It wasn't a counter claim but a separate claim in state court, likely in response to her claim in District court. Or something like that. Don't care enough for the details.

If that's the offer, then a simple resolution is on the table, even though it may not be a complete retraction. At the same time, if it's true that she's spending anywhere near close to $300k defending this claim, then it's also probably true that Open Stories Foundation is spending that much too. If I were a donor or potential donor to Open Stories Foundation, I'd think twice. As Kish saw, such a waste.
I don't know whether the Open Stories Foundation/Dehlin lawyers are billing hourly or have a contingent fee agreement.
he/him

Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Res Ipsa wrote:
During the hearings, Plaintiffs' lawyers said they would drop the case in exchange for a retraction.
Holy smokes!!! And she refused?

What a nut.
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
toon
CTR B

Post by toon »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 7:12 pm
toon wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 6:42 pm

I don't know whether the Open Stories Foundation/Dehlin lawyers are billing hourly or have a contingent fee agreement.
If you're suing an individual without resources, a contingency arrangement may be as good as agreeing to never be paid. Other than her claim that she's incurred $300k in legal fees, I've seen nothing to indicate that she has anything close to deep pockets.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

toon wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 7:30 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 7:12 pm

If you're suing an individual without resources, a contingency arrangement may be as good as agreeing to never be paid. Other than her claim that she's incurred $300k in legal fees, I've seen nothing to indicate that she has anything close to deep pockets.
Agreed. There certainly doesn't appear to be any liability insurance in play.
he/him