Split from Seeing Things Differently -- DanP the apologist excuse

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Imwashingmypirate
God

Split from Seeing Things Differently -- DanP the apologist excuse

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

drumdude wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 1:48 am
The Book of Abraham is objectively a fraud, but the more important subjective faithful Mormon lens allows you to see it as a revelation from God.

This works really well to turn any falsehood into a truth. No evidence that COVID vaccines kill people? Well my subjective truth tells me it does.

Like I’ve said many times, Dan is a postmodern relativist. He doesn’t believe in objective truth or reality. Those get thrown under the bus constantly to protect his fragile belief in his cult. “Follow the brethren” is his ground truth.
No evidence? I've seen firsthand that what we are led to believe and what is real in terms of society are very different. Maybe it is our lack of control in the governance of worldly matters that makes people reach for something higher.

The evidence we are shown is what people want to show. Anything against that is buried.

I don't know that the vaccine would do anymore damage than the virus itself. But from my viewpoint, I saw people become damaged from it. But people are also damaged by COVID and then we are damaged by the food we eat and the air we breathe and yet, we need the air and the food so it's just one of those things that we just have to accept. But to deny strongly that evidence is lacking for vaccine damage when there are cases of vaccine damage (perhaps not overwhelmingly) would be wrong. Maybe the good outweighs the bad. Like with most medications. For me they have strong side effects. I can't take levothyroxine even though there is evidence that my health would be better if I took it. Other people can take it and feel nothing but positives. We know that there are life saving drugs that people must take regardless of side effects and we know with a surety that they will die without them and in that case we can say yes! Evidence suggests that this is the only acceptable standpoint in this situation. I don't believe vaccines for COvid fall into that category. To me, our immune systems should be making the antibodies from the virus. It is unlikely that there are people in the modern world that haven't had the virus. I can understand the need at the peak of the virus and I truly hope that it has saved lives. But it's choice. People should be given the choice. Not sure COVID vaccines would be the best example because you can't say either way which side is the right side. You can't say it's a falsehood. You can say that the viewpoint is manipulated to exaggerate negative side effects for the propaganda of antivaxxers. But you can't say there isn't evidence of severe negative side effects.
drumdude
God

Re: Seeing Things Differently -DanP the apologist excuse.

Post by drumdude »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 10:34 am
drumdude wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 1:48 am
The Book of Abraham is objectively a fraud, but the more important subjective faithful Mormon lens allows you to see it as a revelation from God.

This works really well to turn any falsehood into a truth. No evidence that COVID vaccines kill people? Well my subjective truth tells me it does.

Like I’ve said many times, Dan is a postmodern relativist. He doesn’t believe in objective truth or reality. Those get thrown under the bus constantly to protect his fragile belief in his cult. “Follow the brethren” is his ground truth.
No evidence? I've seen firsthand that what we are led to believe and what is real in terms of society are very different. Maybe it is our lack of control in the governance of worldly matters that makes people reach for something higher.

The evidence we are shown is what people want to show. Anything against that is buried.

I don't know that the vaccine would do anymore damage than the virus itself. But from my viewpoint, I saw people become damaged from it. But people are also damaged by COVID and then we are damaged by the food we eat and the air we breathe and yet, we need the air and the food so it's just one of those things that we just have to accept. But to deny strongly that evidence is lacking for vaccine damage when there are cases of vaccine damage (perhaps not overwhelmingly) would be wrong. Maybe the good outweighs the bad. Like with most medications. For me they have strong side effects. I can't take levothyroxine even though there is evidence that my health would be better if I took it. Other people can take it and feel nothing but positives. We know that there are life saving drugs that people must take regardless of side effects and we know with a surety that they will die without them and in that case we can say yes! Evidence suggests that this is the only acceptable standpoint in this situation. I don't believe vaccines for COvid fall into that category. To me, our immune systems should be making the antibodies from the virus. It is unlikely that there are people in the modern world that haven't had the virus. I can understand the need at the peak of the virus and I truly hope that it has saved lives. But it's choice. People should be given the choice. Not sure COVID vaccines would be the best example because you can't say either way which side is the right side. You can't say it's a falsehood. You can say that the viewpoint is manipulated to exaggerate negative side effects for the propaganda of antivaxxers. But you can't say there isn't evidence of severe negative side effects.
The biggest piece of evidence that puts everything into perspective for me regarding the vaccine is the number of people who were vaccinated.

70.6% of the world population has received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.

70.6 percent. It’s not surprising to me that people you know who have received the vaccine have had health problems, because such a high number of people received it. Those people would have had problems anyway.

The only way to show a difference is to study the differences between the 30 and 70 percent with rigorous studies and statistics. Anecdotes simply aren’t evidence of anything when so many people received the vaccine. They have found some issues like myocarditis, but the fears around it have been vastly overstated. Heart inflammation sounds scary but it resolves on its own in the vast majority of healthy people.

Just my perspective, and when there is evidence that shows otherwise I’ll happy accept it. I just haven’t seen it.
Imwashingmypirate
God

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

drumdude wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 5:53 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 10:34 am

The biggest piece of evidence that puts everything into perspective for me regarding the vaccine is the number of people who were vaccinated.

70.6% of the world population has received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.

70.6 percent. It’s not surprising to me that people you know who have received the vaccine have had health problems, because such a high number of people received it. Those people would have had problems anyway.

The only way to show a difference is to study the differences between the 30 and 70 percent with rigorous studies and statistics. Anecdotes simply aren’t evidence of anything when so many people received the vaccine. They have found some issues like myocarditis, but the fears around it have been vastly overstated. Heart inflammation sounds scary but it resolves on its own in the vast majority of healthy people.

Just my perspective, and when there is evidence that shows otherwise I’ll happy accept it. I just haven’t seen it.
That is a fair explanation and appreciate your perspective. My mum had one dose and had heart issues that took a very long time to recover from. I agree, antivaxxers have inflated information. But I still don't think it is right to say it is completely safe when we don't know everything.
Valo
Deacon

Post by Valo »

Want to understand more about the so called "vaccine"?

www.fedsforfreedom.org
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Split from Seeing Things Differently -- DanP the apologist excuse

Post by Res Ipsa »

Split thread, UR 4, moved split to Paradise, UR 5.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.