Do modern apostles no longer get visits from The Savior?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Do modern apostles no longer get visits from The Savior?

Post by drumdude »

A few years back, our favorite apologist noted that church history is repleat with eyewitness accounts by LDS leaders seeing The Savior in the flesh.

https://www.deseret.com/2016/3/24/20585 ... at-easter/

Another account which didn't make it into the article:
DCP wrote:PL: "I'll never forget how it felt to stand in the passage way connecting the celestial room in the Salt Lake Temple to what were once Lorenzo Snow's living quarters, knowing that the Saviour had appeared in that passageway to President Snow. Wonderful!"

I've stood in exactly the same place, thinking the same thought.
Alas, modern apostles now use the weasel words "we have a special witness of Christ." Whatever that means. If they can't come out and say plainly what prophets past have been proud to say, what does that tell us?
I Have Questions
Bishop

Re: Do modern apostles no longer get visits from The Savior?

Post by I Have Questions »

It’s worth bearing in mind that the Lorenzo Snow anecdote that DCP references isn’t a first hand contemporary recounting. It’s Snow’s son recounting what his daughter said her Grandfather had said, when she was with him in the corridor of the temple one evening.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

I Have Questions wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 5:24 am
It’s worth bearing in mind that the Lorenzo Snow anecdote that DCP references isn’t a first hand contemporary recounting. It’s Snow’s son recounting what his daughter said her Grandfather had said, when she was with him in the corridor of the temple one evening.
The Catholic Church has a tradition of miracle finding whenever they want to turn someone into a saint. They know there’s a miracle somewhere, their job is just to find/invent one. This feels a lot like that.
BeNotDeceived
Elder

Post by BeNotDeceived »

What fascinates me is how this 'church' has gone from 100+ years ago from 'I/we saw Christ, God himself, Moses, PJ & J', etc. and pronouncing that the Lord had spoken to them to 'we are special witnesses of Christ' and 'the Lord has impressed upon our minds'. Why were leaders of old so much more bold in making such proclamations and announcements? At least these guys nowadays aren't outright lying about it like they did back then in order to keep members believing it was all run by God and Christ (even though they are deceiving millions by continuing to promote a religion they know is not what it claims to be).
sock puppet
1st Counselor

Post by sock puppet »

BeNotDeceived wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 7:36 pm
What fascinates me is how this 'church' has gone from 100+ years ago from 'I/we saw Christ, God himself, Moses, PJ & J', etc. and pronouncing that the Lord had spoken to them to 'we are special witnesses of Christ' and 'the Lord has impressed upon our minds'. Why were leaders of old so much more bold in making such proclamations and announcements? At least these guys nowadays aren't outright lying about it like they did back then in order to keep members believing it was all run by God and Christ (even though they are deceiving millions by continuing to promote a religion they know is not what it claims to be).
Imagine the thoughts that would be running through the minds of the other 14 if one of the "apostles" told the other 14 that Jesus had, in the flesh, appeared to him.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

BeNotDeceived wrote:
What fascinates me is how this 'church' has gone from 100+ years ago from 'I/we saw Christ, God himself, Moses, PJ & J', etc., and pronouncing that the Lord had spoken to them to 'we are special witnesses of Christ' and 'the Lord has impressed upon our minds'. Why were leaders of old so much more bold in making such proclamations and announcements?
They didn't have modern-day Gemlis calling them on it and exposing the falsity.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

BeNotDeceived wrote:
Miracle claims substantially reduced when cell phones became commonplace in the world. Carl Sagan's baloney detector seems to have had influence for many people especially the youth. Things are now too sacred to talk about. You can see it in full color when Russell Nelson demonstrated Joseph Smith’s rock in the hat method of translating the Book of Mormon. He couldn't follow through with it. I think he knows how ridiculous it looks.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Rivendale wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 2:44 pm
BeNotDeceived wrote:
Miracle claims substantially reduced when cell phones became commonplace in the world. Carl Sagan's baloney detector seems to have had influence for many people especially the youth. Things are now too sacred to talk about. You can see it in full color when Russell Nelson demonstrated Joseph Smith’s rock in the hat method of translating the Book of Mormon. He couldn't follow through with it. I think he knows how ridiculous it looks.
Yeah but it's not the ridiculousness of it that matters. The fact that Nelson cannot and will not also use the priesthood power to have the stone help him restore more ancient truths is far more telling to me. The power is no longer there, if it was every something other than Joseph's imagination and faking it in the first place.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

The prophet and the apostles are first and foremost eyewitness of the resurrected savior, according to Mormon doctrine. Every single one of them must have stood face-to-face with Jesus in the flesh, otherwise they are not apostles by Mormonism's own definition, no matter what Dan "revelation has ceased" Peterson says.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 4:16 pm
The prophet and the apostles are first and foremost eyewitness of the resurrected savior, according to Mormon doctrine. Every single one of them must have stood face-to-face with Jesus in the flesh, otherwise they are not apostles by Mormonism's own definition, no matter what Dan "revelation has ceased" Peterson says.
Hence my serious suspicion they have changed the point of witnesses (Apostles) for the obvious reason that not a one of these modern dudes have ever met Jesus in the flesh. But they sure want the clout and prestige of helping people think they have.