BYP Live Sunday May 26th Gandalf the Christ of the Lord of the Rings

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Philo Sofee
God

BYP Live Sunday May 26th Gandalf the Christ of the Lord of the Rings

Post by Philo Sofee »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVMoEDbgSrA

Exploring the Christian and Jesus analogies and connections to Gandalf the most famous wizard to ever grace our human history, in the Lord of the Rings, tomorrow night at 6 p.m. Live. Looking forward to seeing you all there.
huckelberry
God

Re: BYP Live Sunday May 26th Gandalf the Christ of the Lord of the Rings

Post by huckelberry »

Who is Gandalf?
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 9:25 pm
Exploring the Christian and Jesus analogies and connections to Gandalf the most famous wizard to ever grace our human history, . . .
Judging by popular culture and the number of books sold, isn't Dumbledore the most famous wizard to ever grace our human history?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 5:52 am
Judging by popular culture and the number of books sold, isn't Dumbledore the most famous wizard to ever grace our human history?
Excellent point. More children have read the Hogwarts books than the works of Professor Tolkien.

As far as musical wizards, consider the efforts of Mickey in Fantasia. Perhaps Kerry could touch on the symbolism of the self-propelled water buckets and mops as it relates to the Kirkland era.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Philo Sofee wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 9:25 pm
Exploring the Christian and Jesus analogies and connections to Gandalf the most famous wizard to ever grace our human history, . . .
Ha! You dare challenge my glorious free will to choose Gandalf over all others?! I shall sick MG 2.0 on thy sorry patutee and show you we are free to choose, and as always Gandalf wins every time through the free will of the Valar and Eru Illuvatar! :D
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

huckelberry wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 5:41 am
Who is Gandalf?
just for fun, courtesy wikapedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merlin
Merlin (Welsh: Myrddin, Cornish: Marzhin, Breton: Merzhin)[note 2] is a mythical figure prominently featured in the legend of King Arthur and best known as a magician, with several other main roles.[note 3] The familiar depiction of Merlin, based on an amalgamation of historic and legendary figures, was introduced by the 12th-century British pseudo-historical author Geoffrey of Monmouth and then built on by the French poet Robert de Boron and their prose successors in the 13th century.

Geoffrey seems to have combined earlier Welsh tales of Myrddin and Ambrosius, two legendary Briton prophets with no connection to Arthur, to form the composite figure that he called Merlinus Ambrosius. His rendering of the character became immediately popular, especially in Wales.[6] Later chronicle and romance writers in France and elsewhere expanded the account to produce a fuller, more multifaceted image, creating one of the most important figures in the imagination and literature of the Middle Ages.

Merlin's traditional biography casts him as an often-mad cambion, born of a mortal woman and an incubus, from whom he inherits his supernatural powers and abilities.[7] His most notable abilities commonly include prophecy and shapeshifting. Merlin matures to an ascendant sagehood and engineers the birth of Arthur through magic and intrigue.[8] Later stories have Merlin as an advisor and mentor to the young king until his disappearance from the tale, leaving behind a series of prophecies foretelling the events yet to come. A popular version from the French prose cycles tells of Merlin being bewitched and forever sealed up or killed by his student, the Lady of the Lake, after falling in love with her. Other texts variously describe his retirement, at times supernatural, or death.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Oooooo Huck! Another one of my very favorite wizards! Good post amigo. I will do a video comparing Merlin and Gandolf.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 6:28 pm
Oooooo Huck! Another one of my very favorite wizards! Good post amigo. I will do a video comparing Merlin and Gandolf.
That sounds like it would be fun to follow.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

huckelberry wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 6:30 pm
Philo Sofee wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 6:28 pm
That sounds like it would be fun to follow.
I shall produce it soon and let you all know when its available.... I'm jazzed about this!
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 4:14 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:
Ha! You dare challenge my glorious free will to choose Gandalf over all others?! I shall sick MG 2.0 on thy sorry patutee and show you we are free to choose, and as always Gandalf wins every time through the free will of the Valar and Eru Illuvatar! :D
You can choose to make a podcast about Gandalf, but you can't choose who is more popular. Statistics do that, not you.
How popular can Gandalf be when even you misspell his name?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024