A Special Video Message of Hope and Healing From President Russell M. Nelson

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Gadianton
God

Re: A Special Video Message of Hope and Healing Is Coming From the Prophet November 20

Post by Gadianton »

Dr. Moore,

Was President Nelson wearing a mask during his address?
Gadianton
God

Re: A Special Video Message of Hope and Healing Is Coming From the Prophet November 20

Post by Gadianton »

Bought wrote:Ratzinger wrote a book and in it he discussed what it meant to be an Old Testament prophet. (Jesus of Nazareth: From the Baptism in the Jordan to the Transfiguration.) And that was basically to warn the people against their sins

Would Ratzinger pay 10% of his income to have a random guy warning him against his sins?

If Dr. Moore wished to write messages of hope for peace and messages of concern over sins, do you really think he would have a difficult time coming up with material to rival Nelson's output? Does it really require all the pomp of temples and church houses, cattle ranches and a 146B$ investment fund to back up the predictable messages of hope from Nelson?
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:47 am
Dr Exiled wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:44 am
I wonder how Dr. P and the Sic et Non crowd view the corona virus and the word of wisdom now? Back when this started, they were all crowing at how Utah was spared and how the word of wisdom perhaps had something to do with it.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Seriously?! They were claiming the WofW was helping? That's hilarious
Yeah, I questioned it at the time and got the don't be a hater, it is certainly a possibility response. I think even Sam LeFevre, Utah's own corona virus tzar, joined in on the possibilities of the WoW saving the day at the time. Perhaps Utahns are drinking more? I wonder what the liquor store sales receipts have to say about this? Is this a direct result of giving in to mammon and raising the alcohol content of beer there?
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:03 am

Your moronic brothers and sisters, mentalgymnast, could really use a prophet willing to lay down the law on this one.
And Nelson just passed up the perfect opportunity. It's my understanding that churches are exempt from Utah's mandatory mask rule. That is unbelievable.
[Utah governed:]"Universal mask mandate is an absolute must, minimizing social gatherings outside of your immediate families is an absolute must"....

[ Stenehjem, infectious disease physician said]

“We just hope that the community recognizes this as a moment where we all have to change. We all have to sacrifice for the common good. And we are having people dying that is unnecessary, and these are things that we could’ve prevented, but we really need to change course now and change our behavior to really change the way we move forward with this virus,” he said.
https://www.deseret.com/utah/2020/11/8/ ... s-mandates
But the same article said in Utah, churches are exempt from the nov 8 mandatory mask requirement? How did that happen?
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Yeah, if only Utah had a prominent faith leader who had been advocating mandatory masks based on an informed belief in the science of saving lives.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

mentalgymnast wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:32 am
Hate cankers the soul.
Also, MG:
mentalgymnast wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:32 am
You are a blatant fool... But alas, in this venue you can readily get away with it.
Yes. You can.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

I really don’t understand why anyone would push back on the observation that Nelson failed to save lives.

1. Would more Mormons have been wearing masks and physically distancing if Nelson had issued an urgent prophetic counsel to do so, irrespective of local health mandates? (YES)

2. Do masks and physical distancing reduce the spread of Covid-19? (YES)

3. Does Covid-19 kill people? (YES)

4. Did Nelson issue the urgent counsel, on the record, as prophet, per #1 above? (NO)

Therefore, Nelson has blood on his hands. Period.m

Edit: So do Trump and a slew of governors. But none of those people claim to be God’s one true prophet, or highly trained medical professionals for that matter.
Last edited by Dr Moore on Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

No mention of the two failed days of worldwide fasting and prayer.

But President Nelson nevertheless says prayer brings forth miracles.

I think a laugh track might be a good addition.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Why is it so damned hard for an adult in a leadership position, or better yet a shepherd tending his flock, to simply tell his people to wear masks and socially distance until a vaccine is widely available? The damned egos with these people is beyond comprehension.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
mentalgymnast
1st Counselor

Post by mentalgymnast »

Dr Moore wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:55 am
Yeah, if only Utah had a prominent faith leader who had been advocating mandatory masks based on an informed belief in the science of saving lives.
https://www.deseret.com/faith/2020/11/2 ... Mormon-lds

The message given has resonated with a whole bunch of folks. Yes, PPE is important. No doubt. But the message President Nelson gave was even more so in some respects. I think some folks may find it difficult to see the forest through the trees. At the end of the day many lives will be enriched and nourished by the good word of God and His chosen leaders than by any amount of mask wearing, social distancing, and washing of hands. Again, not to discount PPE and physically taking care of yourself and others, but spiritual PPE is critically important also. That was the thrust of President Nelson’s remarks.

Regards,
MG