A Special Video Message of Hope and Healing From President Russell M. Nelson

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Re: A Special Video Message of Hope and Healing Is Coming From the Prophet November 20

Post by Dr Moore »

Lem wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:56 am
Dr Moore wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:22 pm
Gratitude as a message to call Mormons to spread positive vibes on social media isn't a bad thing at all. As a stand alone message, I would give Nelson's video a 9/10 for being on point and timely.

0/10 for being on point and timely as a medical professional and prophet of the church warning members everywhere to go above and beyond whatever local political guidelines may have been and to strictly wear masks and adhere to physical distancing. He has a lot of death on his hands for failing to give that prophetic counsel, unfortunately.
That's what was really surprising. During the week, it seemed that every headline I read was something like 'Nelson expected to tell members to wear masks.' it was really surprising to read he did not, especially given Utah's precarious position.
Correct. The record shows that Nelson has never at any time specifically admonished the saints to exceed local safety guidelines, including but not limited to mask wearing and physical distancing. He has only gone so far as to give the begrudging-like phrase of “be good citizens”.
Dr Moore

Re: A Special Video Message of Hope and Healing Is Coming From the Prophet November 20

Post by Dr Moore »

MG: some help with your struggle to admit that Nelson failed the Saints.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=193
mentalgymnast
1st Counselor

Post by mentalgymnast »

Dr Moore wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:10 am
MG: some help with your struggle to admit that Nelson failed the Saints.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=193
“For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.

“Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness;

“For the power is in them, wherein they are agents unto themselves. And inasmuch as men do good they shall in nowise lose their reward.

“But he that doeth not anything until he is commanded, and receiveth a commandment with doubtful heart and keepeth it with slothfulness, the same is damned.” (D&C 58:26-29.)
When you have smart folks at the national and state level encouraging people to wear masks you are then requiring President Nelson to explicitly do the same or you’re calling out his prophetic leadership? You’re willing to die on that hill?

Slippery slope.

Honestly, I didn’t ever even think about whether or not President Nelson should become directly involved in the whole mask thing. I’ve heard plenty from the experts that have spoken out at both national and state level.

Truthfully? I think the criticisms in this regard would come almost exclusively from those that are interested in dissing LDS authorities. And you surely fall into that class.

Regards,
MG
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Shulem wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:40 am

I pity the old man for continuing the charade and coverup of Mormonism to the very last drop. I'm sure he *hates* the sin that I live on a daily basis. My so-called *sins* define me, and President Nelson hates my sins.

To me, NelSatan is a cankerous old fart and meaner than a junkyard dog. He's a wolf in sheep's clothing living a life of delusion. He's not a prophet of God. He's a faker -- a fraud. Indeed, I pity the old bastard.
Amen, brother. But you are a part of a community here, and we love you, ALL of you, totally and without reservation! We are lucky to have each other, are we not? (Actually, you were here before me, and in truth, I was lucky to find you! Thank you. )
Shulem wrote: I can cover that fully in the Celestial Forum.
Looking forward to it!
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Dr Moore wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=193
Thanks for the reminder of the link, Dr. Moore. Its really quite unfathomable what's going on. Last I checked, Utah's 14-day increase in cases is 34%, and something like 5% have had the virus. That makes them the state with the 6th highest % of infected. Unreal. As a comparison, NY is again closing schools, businesses, and requiring quarantine from anyone entering from 45 states. New York's 14-day increase is currently 10.9%, less than a third Utah's percentage. Utah is being overwhelmed, and Nelson really missed out on an opportunity to help.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

I wonder how Dr. P and the Sic et Non crowd view the corona virus and the word of wisdom now? Back when this started, they were all crowing at how Utah was spared and how the word of wisdom perhaps had something to do with it.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:44 am
I wonder how Dr. P and the Sic et Non crowd view the corona virus and the word of wisdom now? Back when this started, they were all crowing at how Utah was spared and how the word of wisdom perhaps had something to do with it.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Seriously?! They were claiming the WofW was helping? That's hilarious
mentalgymnast
1st Counselor

Post by mentalgymnast »

Lem wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:41 am
Dr Moore wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=193
Thanks for the reminder of the link, Dr. Moore. Its really quite unfathomable what's going on. Last I checked, Utah's 14-day increase in cases is 34%, and something like 5% have had the virus. That makes them the state with the 6th highest % of infected. Unreal. As a comparison, NY is again closing schools, businesses, and requiring quarantine from anyone entering from 45 states. New York's 14-day increase is currently 10.9%, less than a third Utah's percentage. Utah is being overwhelmed, and Nelson really missed out on an opportunity to help.
https://www.deseret.com/utah/2020/11/8/ ... s-mandates

You’re going to die on that mountain too, huh? Truth be told, you’ve been up that mountain on many occasions. You’re not a newbie. ;)

Any reason to throw mud and you show up.

Regards,
MG
Dr Moore

Post by Dr Moore »

MG- watchdogs protect from fascism and false prophets. You're sure angry about something. Perhaps time to slow it down and #givethanks.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

mentalgymnast wrote:When you have smart folks at the national and state level encouraging people to wear masks you are then requiring President Nelson to explicitly do the same or you’re calling out his prophetic leadership? You’re willing to die on that hill?
Yes. You might have a point if everyone were taking it seriously. But recall, the majority of Mormons voted for a president who discourages mask wearing, holds giant COVID-fest rallys, and there is a large contingent of anti-mask Mormons. Spend some time on LDS freedom forum, and you'll see anything from disillusionment over the Church requesting masks at sacrament meeting, to hope that because the Brethren have been lukewarm on masks and social distancing, to the small extent that such measures have been held up locally, the Brethren are really against masks but don't want to make a scene about it, as it were.

A good LDS friend of mine sends me anti-mask memes once in a while. His mother is in her 70s and several family members have underlying conditions, and he promotes anti-mask BS with all his friends and family. He's seen as the family intellectual.

Your moronic brothers and sisters, mentalgymnast, could really use a prophet willing to lay down the law on this one.
Last edited by Gadianton on Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.