More History of Apologetics

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Moksha
God

More History of Apologetics

Post by Moksha »

In August of 1991, a Third Stage Authority was wheeled into the Grand Hall of the President of BYU. All the attendants were dismissed, so there was just the BYU President and the entourage of the Third Stage Authority. The President began his salutations and adulations when the Authority cut him short. "We have detected a problem. Some non-member named Tim Berners-Lee has created the World Wide Web. There are plans in motion to create a vast connection of computers that will allow data to eventually be shared all over the world. Most of it will be benign, but we have also perceived..."

Ah, here it is thought the BYU President, the reason I have been summoned to this important meeting.

"We need some means of fighting this internet, lest it deliver information that could damage the faith of the members. We need their continued tithing. Nothing must interfere with that. The Tithing must flow."

The BYU President bowed low to the vehicle containing the Authority. "I will do everything in my power to squash this so-called "information". To that end, I pledge fifty legions of my best apologists. That should be enough to banish all thoughts of this information from the minds of the members. The Tithing will flow."
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Lem
God

Re: More History of Apologetics

Post by Lem »

Well done, Moksha. Very spicy.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

It would have been fun if Grindael had painted a portrayal of the third stage authority in the Great Hall. His title of "The Tithing must Flow" would have captured the essence of the meeting.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Moksha wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:38 am
It would have been fun if Grindael had painted a portrayal of the third stage authority in the Great Hall. His title of "The Tithing must Flow" would have captured the essence of the meeting.
Now you are making me cry. I miss my friend.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Lem wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:16 am
Moksha wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:38 am
Now you are making me cry. I miss my friend.
You're in good company.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

by the way, the newly discovered monolith in the Utah desert just vanished, but don't worry, it was translated to the Kolob space station where will be assigned its own planet and harem of sister-wives.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Moksha wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:42 am
by the way, the newly discovered monolith in the Utah desert just vanished, but don't worry, it was translated to the Kolob space station where will be assigned its own planet and harem of sister-wives.
Did you ever find out if the monolith responded to Early Modern English, the language of Shakespeare and of ghost committees everywhere? I'm guessing that if one quoted any line from the modern Book of Mormon, the monolith would have immediately translated said quote back into Ye Olde English.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

Moksha wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:42 am
by the way, the newly discovered monolith in the Utah desert just vanished, but don't worry, it was translated to the Kolob space station where will be assigned its own planet and harem of sister-wives ...
... becoming a polylith.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

It's not a monolith. A monolith is rectangular with dimensions 1:4:9.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:09 pm
It's not a monolith. A monolith is rectangular with dimensions 1:4:9.
Hey, just be glad it stood a righteous vigilance in Utah and will now be able to partake in Polylithy.