Still gemli's gems: still the best reason to read a blog

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Still gemli's gems: still the best reason to read a blog

Post by Philo Sofee »

malkie wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:39 pm
Reading some of Midgely's comments that are addressed, directly or indirectly, to gemli, I'm struck by how sad they are.

Midgely seems unable to let anything that gemli says go by without a snide remark, or a demeaning assumption. However, his comments are not smart and witty, not clever in any way - just a steady stream of low-grade unpleasantness.

I wonder if he is pleased with his performance, and feels that he is making a positive difference in the world with this sort of trash.

Does he feel that it is his Christian duty to so act? Does he imagine that his Lord and Saviour looks on with approval?

In his mind, is this a valiant defence of Mormonism?
I was there at one time.... what hopes aspires is that we all evolve in our spirituality, our intellectual capabilities at different rates and different times. Midgley is trying to assure that the meaning of old curmudgeon continues to exist... in this he provides a stellar service to mankind.:D
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

In response to the “sloppy emotional froth” post the genial gemli responds with perfection:
Gemli > The Peckerhead

Note that gemli "boasts" that we're nothing to boast about, while Dr. Midgley believes that he is a Special Creation of an All-Powerful Deity, and will Exist Forever. Silly gemli.
And of course The Vogon can’t resist sputtering out some nonsense with, “I can agree with your last sentence, gemli.”

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:13 pm
In response to the “sloppy emotional froth” post the genial gemli responds with perfection:
Gemli > The Peckerhead

Note that gemli "boasts" that we're nothing to boast about, while Dr. Midgley believes that he is a Special Creation of an All-Powerful Deity, and will Exist Forever. Silly gemli.
And of course The Vogon can’t resist sputtering out some nonsense with, “I can agree with your last sentence, gemli.”

- Doc
Perhaps self deprecation and humour are not found in his toolbox.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
And of course, The Vogon can’t resist sputtering out some nonsense with, “I can agree with your last sentence, gemli.”

- Doc
by the way, more of his poetry can be found in his film, Witnesses.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Gemli > The Peckerhead

- Doc
Peterson adds this
But we think you're cute.
And the indefatigable gemli responds:
gemli DanielPeterson • 21 hours ago

Cute, nothing. I'm adorable.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Lem wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:51 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

- Doc
Peterson adds this
But we think you're cute.
gemli DanielPeterson • 21 hours ago

Cute, nothing. I'm adorable.
Love it.

Indefatigable has never had a better example.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

dastardly stem wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:13 pm
Lem wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:51 pm

Peterson adds this

Love it.

Indefatigable has never had a better example.
While Dr. Scratch plays Chess which they think is checkers, Gemli plays Chess which they think is dominoes.......they just don't have what it takes to even play good Chess... and if they do play Chess with them, they think taking a mere pawn is equivalent to winning the game. A capture is not a checkmate, wonder when that will finally dawn on em......
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

I decided to pop into Mr. Peterson’s vanity blog today, and was treated to this tidy little rejoinder from gemli after one of the LDS posters insulted him:

“Thank you. But pride goeth before a fall, and now it's winter. So I missed an opportunity.”

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... qus_thread

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

This is odd.
Louis Midgley gemli • a day ago

Latter-day Saints have at least five hundred times pointed out to gemli the fact that our scriptures are histories, and history is not at all open to proofs that he demands. And our scriptures in no way compete with explanations of the natural world, as he constantly wrongly claims.

http://disq.us/p/2e2o4c4
History isn’t “open to proof”?

The part about the Book of Mormon “in no way compet[ing] with explanations of the natural world” is just laughable.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Further discussion of “history,” as defined by BYU professors and others, in which the professors and others embarrass themselves:
gemli Louis Midgley • a day ago

No, such stories are not "history." They are claims of events that did not actually happen. We call these "myths," or "legends," and while they were uttered or written in the Old Days, they do not become real because someone calls them "history."

DanielPeterson Mod gemli • a day ago

gemli disdains history and refuses to give serious consideration to any historical claim that might jeopardize his Dogma.

Louis Midgley B. Wilson • a day ago

I am betting that gemli gets his opinions from his own goblins and spooks.

Fred Kratz DanielPeterson • a day ago

Versus Latter-day Saints who make up history of a fictional metals wielding civilization supposedly living all over Mayan lands for a thousand years with zero physical evidence. And, zero mention of the Maya, whose lands and culture they invaded.

DanielPeterson Mod Fred Kratz • a day ago

You really ought to pay attention to the work of trained Latter-day Saint Mesoamericanists like John Clark, Mark Alan Wright, John Sorenson, Brant Gardner, and Kerry Hull before issuing such declarations.

Ideeho Fred Kratz • a day ago • edited

Sigh Fred. If you are going to criticize, is it too much to ask that you not misrepresent? Latter-Day Saints have not "made up" history of a "fictional metals wielding civilization." The best the Book of Mormon does is show metals as sources of wealth, record keeping, or ornamentation. It does not show a "metals wielding civilization.”....

Fred Kratz Ideeho • 21 hours ago • edited

14 And I, Nephi, did take the sword of Laban, and after the manner of it did make many swords, lest by any means the people who were now called Lamanites should come upon us and destroy us; for I knew their chatred towards me and my children and those who were called my people.

15 And I did teach my people to build buildings, and to work in all manner of wood, and of iron, and of copper, and of brass, and of steel, and of gold, and of silver, and of precious ores, which were in great abundance....

http://disq.us/p/2e2on8q