Certain people can't ever get it right

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
mentalgymnast
1st Counselor

Re: Certain people can't ever get it right

Post by mentalgymnast »

Chap wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:06 pm
Your ''round/flat' metaphor is an example of one that doesn't function well, at least not as you apply it.
I disagree. But I suppose we’ll let it go at that. And it’s not my job to help you come to the same understanding/application that I did.

I think I’ve said more than anyone wants to hear. I’m sure we can agree on that point.

Carry on...

I’ll bow out at this point and let others have the final word(s).

Life is calling.

Regards,
MG
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Lem wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:02 pm
....I don't blame him for wanting to talk about what he reads, just the fact that he disingenuously tries to shoehorn every little thing into a discussion about how HE chooses RIGHT because he follows the Mormon church, and how EVERYONE ELSE HERE is of one and the same singular, secularist, Anti-Mormon, and now binary, black-and-white-thinking, bad viewfinder-setting group, all of which choose WRONGLY.

in my opinion, that's why his discussions go so badly, he is literally just here to provoke a group he thinks is different from Mormons and therefore inferior. Any cogency in his argument is completely secondary to that goal.

It does give insight into this mindset, though, which can be helpful in dealing with people like that. Sadly, I doubt he's the only one to approach the world with this Mormon vs. non-Mormon, All GOOD vs. All BAD approach....
mentalgymnast wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:56 pm
Sounds like I’m being ‘lumped in’ to a pigeon hole again.

I can tell you that I don’t view the world as Mormon vs. non Mormon. Far from it.
:roll:
mentalgymnast wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:06 am
....In essence, my posting has been pointing out the fact that you and other secularists are claiming to have viewfinders that have the correct settings which will give you a leg up in your determination of what is true and what is false. I look at your determinations as being the result of an incomplete view of reality. For you to determine the confines and restraints of what can be considered real is rather arrogant and prideful.

.....This plays well to your audience of fellow non-believers in the truth claims of the CofJCofLDS.

.....You are a direct threat to the church in the things you say. Others would be able to see YOU for what you are.
And that's just one post. But, trolling like this is not anything new for him, so I highly doubt Mental will get the point.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Chap wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:50 pm
mentalgymnast wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:24 pm
I suppose I’m from the impressionist school of thought in that we see reality by stepping back and looking at the greater whole. In order to to that first of all we need to step back. Then we set our viewfinder/lens to wide angle so as to gain perspective that we would fail to appreciate at zoom level. The various ‘pixels’ of the whole blend in to show a greater vista of meaning and purpose than merely zooming in and observing isolated parts.
I'd be interested to know what other posters take this to mean.

It seems to me to be an injunction not to look close-up at the many, many ways, long documented on this board and elsewhere, that the truth claims of Mormonism fail to stand up to close scrutiny. We should track back far enough to allow those 'pixels' (or, as a prophet once called them 'little flecks of history') to go out of focus and look at the overall impression of Mormonism seen from a distance, and base our judgment on that.

In other words, don't look too closely at the second-hand car. Don't look closely at the tyres, which are worn and don't match. Don't look closely at the tachometer, which has been 'clocked' to reduce the mileage. Don't look closely at the paintwork, where you will see evidence of rust having been painted over ... and so on. Why if you look too closely with an expert eye you may even be able to detect that this vehicle has been welded together from scrap sections of several car-wrecks. Don't do that! Instead, just stand back and see what a lovely impressive vehicle it is. And pay the salesman what he asks - which is a rather unusual deal in which you have to pay him 10% of your gross income for life.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Don't look closely at the paintwork, where you will see evidence of rust having been painted over ... and so on. Why if you look too closely with an expert eye you may even be able to detect that this vehicle has been welded together from scrap sections of several car-wrecks. Don't do that! Instead, just stand back and see what a lovely impressive vehicle it is. And pay the salesman what he asks - which is a rather unusual deal in which you have to pay him 10% of your gross income for life.
Yeah, I think this is pretty well what he's trying to say for his third attempt to make his own beliefs beyond criticism.

My mom was an artist. One time, when she was little, she went outside to sit on the steps and sketch a pile of junk. Her mother asked her what she was drawing, and when she explained, her mother got bent out of shape. What a stupid thing to sketch. After she finished, however, her mother was impressed with how interesting the picture turned out. Pain and imperfection are central to great art. How much better, when we step back with our "viewfinder," if the car is a rusty piece of junk, rather than the car of our dreams? How much better, when we step back and look at history with our viewfinder, that MMM happened so that Brigham would be a complex and interesting character?