Certain people can't ever get it right

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Gadianton
God

Re: Certain people can't ever get it right

Post by Gadianton »

SeerOfProvo wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:46 pm
The author of that blog has a tendency to simply import philosophical arguments from other religious traditions (namely, orthodox Christianity) wholesale without even casually examining the nuts and bolts of said argument. This has the unfortunate result of many assumptions foreign to the Latter Day Saint belief system not only remaining embedded, but getting defended vigorously by apologists who are not even aware said assumptions can be discarded.

During the brief window I was allowed to comment on this blog, I raised the question of Classical Theism being present in the Moral Argument and how it was incompatible with the truth of our current dispensation. If you care to read, you’ll see a great lack of enthusiasm for wanting to discuss the issue other than stating some kind of vague awareness of the problem.

Creatio ex nihilo is an answer to a problem generated by the so-called “Middle” and “Neo” Platonist philosophies that early Christianity utilized in articulating, clarifying, and defending their faith in antiquity. Latter Day Saints shouldn’t be beholden to these kinds of doctrines, much less defending them by parroting Evangelical philosophers.
Yes, this is yet another problem, and I totally agree with you. You wrote:
I say we ought to side with Plato on the matter and say that objective moral values exist independently of God.
While I do not see absolute consistency from Mormon scriptures, I think this is as close as it gets. The whole idea of God ceasing to be God should he not follow the rules himself, of God being an exalted man and so forth, make it pretty much impossible for him to be the author of right and wrong.

But I'm curious, what was it that stopped you from being allowed to comment on the blog? Your comments were substantial and you even referred to the apologists as "Dr.", as they demand. What happened?
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Apologists do not actually wish to dialogue, they are not teachable. They already possess the truth, they want to preach. In their minds to learn anything from anyone who doesn't accept their theology is a bitter pill to swallow, so they don't swallow that pill much. They gather those who think like them and already agree with their theology and arguments so it makes them feel comfortable with their "truth." See, if they possess the truth already, there is no point in learning anything. Watch them for a while and see if that isn't the way they act. They are so typical of organized religious folk. Can't teach em anything since they already know it. Now they demand you know it, AND believe like they do... AND come to the same conclusions, otherwise they get very uncomfortable. It's why, when religion had the power, they could literally kill and destroy all who disagreed with them, and they actually did so. Mormons would do that, except for one thing... the God inspired Constitution and Bill of Rights which puts the power where it belongs, with ALL people, not the special chosen of God. They only have the power to excommunicate you, not literally murder you. Thank God! Organized religions demand conformity to belief, God only wants you to accept truth. That's the whole difference. God won't kill you for doubting, but his followers sure will if they ever get that power again!
That's why he is not allowed to comment anymore.
SeerOfProvo
Nursery

Post by SeerOfProvo »

Gadianton wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:09 am
But I'm curious, what was it that stopped you from being allowed to comment on the blog? Your comments were substantial and you even referred to the apologists as "Dr.", as they demand. What happened?
My last public comment was on a post about moral relativism and ethical nihilism. For convenience I'll reproduce it here so anyone interested doesn't have to navigate DISQUIS:
SeerOfProvo wrote:I can certainly see how one can look at this paragraph and see Darwinian influence:

“Suppose we measure pity by the value of the reactions it usually produces; then its perilous nature appears even brighter light. Quite in general, pity crosses the law of development, which is the law of selection. It preserves what is ripe for destruction; it defends those who have been disinherited and condemned by life; and by the abundance of the failures of all kinds which it keeps alive, it gives life itself a gloomy and questionable aspect.” (Section 7)

However I feel the context of previous passages rules out such a reading. Let me start with the last sentence in Section 2 as frame:

“What is more harmful than any vice? Active pity for all the failures and all the weak: Christianity.”

So we know from above Nietzsche follows Aristotle in his understanding of pity, believes it has deleterious effect on humanity and then accuses Christianity of turning pity into a supreme virtue. Now how Nietzsche understands pity and his accusations towards Christianity are certainly debatable, but I think we would both agree that Nietzsche is basically asserting that Christianity damages people by encouraging acts and practices that weaken the individual or otherwise harms them.

Now the very next sentence begins section 3 and has some interesting implications:

“The problem I thus pose is not what shall succeed mankind in the sequence of living beings (man is an end), but what type of man shall be bred, shall be willed, for being higher in value, worthier of life, more certain of a future.”

Notice here that Nietzsche not only signals he isn’t going to discuss what will come after humanity, indeed he even states that humanity is an end. If Nietzsche was invoking the spirit of Darwin’s work during the composition of ‘The Antichrist’ then he is choosing words that cut right across the grain of it. This continues at the very beginning of section 4:

“Mankind does not represent a development toward something better or stronger or higher in the sense accepted today. “Progress” is merely a modern idea, that is, a false idea. The European of today is vastly inferior in value to the European of the Renaissance: further development is altogether not according to any necessity in the direction of elevation, enhancement, or strength.”

Now I can’t help but read that passage and see it as a stark denial of social darwinism and even positivism. Nietzsche outright rejects modern notions of progress; instead of looking to the future and excitedly telling us what could be, he keeps grabbing us by the shoulders to spin us around to point out what humanity once was. Yet the most revealing portion (to me anyways) is that he speaks of a “development” that lacks “necessity” in direction, which is a near complete inversion of “survival of the fittest”.

So in light of the broader context, I’m not sure how this law of development/selection has any distinct Darwinian features to it.

The following post which was composed and posted briefly before the one above flickered into and out of existence by being labeled as spam. Sometimes it shows up and other times it is gone, I brought it to the attention of Dr. Peterson who asked me to repost it. I did and it was also labeled spam:
SeerOfProvo wrote:The apologist I spoke of is you Dr. Peterson and I think you’ve adopted a certain strategy in the development of the Moral Argument that leaves you vulnerable to counter-attack. Fundamentally I think your instincts to include and discuss Nietzsche are ultimately correct, but I would suggest a different deployment than what you have opted for in this post.

To be succinct; I think your characterization of Nietzsche is one that only exists in the industry of Christian Apologetics and that portrayal is one consistently rejected by contemporary philosophers who have made a study of Nietzsche’s writings (both Christian and Atheist alike). This not only leads to easy refutation but you also miss out on the fruitful opportunity to engage Nietzsche from the singular perspective of an intellectual Latter Day Saint.

Your choice of utilizing the text ‘The Antichrist’ for the elucidation of Nietzsche’s moral philosophy is going to make informed readers suspicious of your intentions and of your methods. It is often viewed as one of Nietzsche’s poorest works where the author often goes overboard in his rhetoric. Consider this assessment:

“Philosophically, his uncritical use of terms like life, nature, and decadence greatly weakens his case. Historically, he is often ignorant: the two Hebrew words he sticks in for effect do not make sense, and his conception of Jesus—to mention a more important matter—is quite unconvincing, though no more so than most such portraits. That the book is meant to be shockingly blasphemous scarcely needs saying.

Like Nietzsche’s first essay, ‘The Birth of Tragedy’, ‘The Antichrist’ is unscholarly and so full of faults that only a pedant could have any wish to catalogue them.” (Editor’s Preface to the ‘Antichrist’ taken from ‘The Portable Nietzsche’).

These are the words of no less than Walter Kaufmann, the man primarily responsible for bringing Nietzsche to an English reading audience and the first to comprehensively demonstrate Nietzsche was no forerunner of fascism.

A better text for your project here would be the ‘Genealogy of Morals’ because not only are those essays already assumed by Nietzsche in ‘The Antichrist’, the ‘Genealogy’ provides a more robust account of his views on morality. A careful look there would ensure one does make the mistake Frithjof Bergmann (a student of Kaufmann’s) talks about here:

“It is sickening and dismaying, but many still imagine that Nietzsche’s central message was a sermon in praise of ruthlessness...That distortion of Nietzsche may give some adolescent emotions a quick flaring rush, yet it may also be a devious tactic, for nothing makes it easier to dismiss Nietzsche than to first transform him into a crude boor. All the same, it is a travesty.” (Taken from Bergmann’s ‘Nietzsche’s Critique of Morality’).
As of now, any post gets labeled as spam. I am in the dark if this is intentional or not, but I assumed it was a sign I should shuffle on.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Good catch, Seer. I'm not sure I would have immediately thought of that from reading his post, but you're absolutely right, Nietzsche was no social Darwinist, even though it's easy to ape him that way. There may be outcomes that pace Darwinist outcomes, but what's going on behind the scenes is totally different. The apex predator as such is amoral. The overman is very moral within Nietzsche's reinvented categories. An obvious contrary outcome could be a dominant society based on Christianity. It's pretty rich though, Seer. Are you familiar with the Proprietor's love for the book "Added Upon"? It's one of the trashiest pieces of Social Darwinism ever written. Eternal Progression = the "race of Gods" who dominate the universe -- they are the fittest who survive (it outright says stuff like this). He says this was the most influential book he'd ever read as a young man.

I'm not surprised that the Proprietor didn't go out of his way to authorize your posts. You might try an experiment: start posting totally kiss-ass comments on there, saying how smart he is or how in awe of Lou Midgley you are. Or better, start trashing critics or take cheap shots at Gina Colvin and see if your posting issues get worked out faster.

You could always try posting on another Patheos blog and see if you have issues. If you're using a stable email address, my understanding is when it catches you as spam, it will email you to clear.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Seer did excellent. However, the error he made is correcting.....CORRECTING the Great Daniel C. "Sir" Peterson! You can't do THAT on his own personal blog where he is God and has an all seeing eye and all knowing mind. I know I sound snarky, but to actually refute him with analysis is a crime more heinous than having sex with him. That is a profound no-no. But man it sure helps the rest of us actually learn cool stuff, so thank you for sharing here. It is to Dr, Peterson's loss entirely that he stops you from posting, again confirming my theory that they aren't there to learn, they already know the truth, they are there to show how smart and right they are on all things touching LDS-ism. I feel their inward pain they deny out loud, but at nights wonder why there is so much of it in their lives. I've been there. You are very insightful Seer, thanks again.
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

SeerOfProvo wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:51 pm
[Craig] also spends a good deal of time arguing that infinite collections of anything cannot be real and are conceptual absurdities. One example he gives is that if you imagine you have a bookshelf that is infinitely long that has red and blue books alternating in color you have a situation where if you subtract all the red books, you'd be taking away an infinite number of books, but there would be an infinite amount of blue books left on the shelf. This, to Craig at least, is absurd and shows the folly on transfinite mathematics. Craig essentially has to overthrow Georg Cantor to make this particular cosmological argument viable.
If he really says this then he’s out of his depth on this kind of topic. For heaven’s sake: there are an uncountable number of points between any two distinct points in space. In that sense you can see a transfinite number right in front of your face.

It might not be worth paying attention to this Craig person after all. Are you sure he’s really that dim?
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Physics Guy wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:55 pm
SeerOfProvo wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:51 pm
[Craig] also spends a good deal of time arguing that infinite collections of anything cannot be real and are conceptual absurdities. One example he gives is that if you imagine you have a bookshelf that is infinitely long that has red and blue books alternating in color you have a situation where if you subtract all the red books, you'd be taking away an infinite number of books, but there would be an infinite amount of blue books left on the shelf. This, to Craig at least, is absurd and shows the folly on transfinite mathematics. Craig essentially has to overthrow Georg Cantor to make this particular cosmological argument viable.
If he really says this then he’s out of his depth on this kind of topic. For heaven’s sake: there are an uncountable number of points between any two distinct points in space. In that sense you can see a transfinite number right in front of your face.

It might not be worth paying attention to this Craig person after all. Are you sure he’s really that dim?
Agreed.... there are an infinite amount of numbers between 1/2 and 3/4 mere fractions only a quarter of inch difference in magnititude. If I remember correctly about infinity, that it does NOT use regular mathematics and cannot be used by regular rules of mathematics of our everyday experience, there are the exact same number of points between a line 1/1,000,000,000,000 of an inch, and a 456,345,654 light year long line.

But then again, infinity is not a large or even small number, it is a concept.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

SeerOfProvo wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:19 pm

As of now, any post gets labeled as spam. I am in the dark if this is intentional or not, but I assumed it was a sign I should shuffle on.
Allegedly, Disqus is "buggy." Even if it's not, though, I think you should soldier on. One alternative to the "buggy" theory is that Dr. Peterson is manipulating the posts himself, and if that's the case, it implies that he's trying to decide whether you are a "troll" or not. Based on what you've posted, it seems obvious that you are a smart and substantive poster. He still might ban you for that reason--i.e., for posing too much of a threat to the persona he's trying to maintain--but I think it would be worth it for you to continue making the effort.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

In physics we are notoriously careless and casual about infinity. We can afford to be because we don’t need to prove anything definitively; experiments are necessary and sufficient. As far as we are concerned, anyway, infinity might just as well be a very large number. When the reciprocal of a large number is too small to measure, that number might as well be infinite. I know of no cases where the difference between huge and infinite is important, in physics.

The concepts are different, however. The logic of trans-finite cardinalities isn’t especially hard: if two sets of things can all be matched up in pairs then they must be equally many. Being able to follow abstract generalizations like that is a practically valuable skill even if you can find workarounds for one particular concept. It’s hard to understand even a single electron without being able to use abstract rules to go beyond primitive human intuition. So I’m skeptical of anyone who claims to make valid deductions about God but cannot cope with infinity.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
SeerOfProvo
Nursery

Post by SeerOfProvo »

Physics Guy wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:55 pm
I don’t think he is dim at all and consider him a competent philosopher, I just think he is wrong about our ontological commitments in regards to mathematics. I’ll reproduce some snippets from his book ‘The Kalam Cosmological Argument’ (Macmillan Press, 1979) to help give you a feel in the direction he goes, but I think any solid engagement would require a careful reading of the entire section.

Here is the sub-argument he makes in support of the main argument (p.69):
William Lane Craig wrote: Our first argument in support of the premiss that the universe began to exist is based upon the impossibility of the existence of an actual infinite. We may present the argument in this way.

An actual infinite cannot exist
An infinite temporal regress of events is an actual infinite
Therefore an infinite temporal regress of events cannot exist.
Here he wants to draw a distinction between the “mathematical world” and the “real world” (p.69):
William Lane Craig wrote:We are contending, then, that an actual infinite cannot exist in the real world. It is usually alleged that this sort of argument has been invalidated by Cantor’s work on the actual infinite and by subsequent developments in set theory. But this allegation seriously misconstrues the nature of both Cantor’s system and modern set theory, for our argument does not contradict a single tenet of either. The reason is this: Cantor’s system and set theory are concerned exclusively with the mathematical world, whereas our argument concerns the real world. What I shall argue is that while the actual infinite may be a fruitful and consistent concept in the mathematical realm, it cannot be translated from the mathematical world into the real world, for this would involve counter-intuitive absurdities.
And this is how he sets up the bookshelf thought experiment (p.82-83):
William Lane Craig wrote:For instance, if an actual infinite could exist in reality, then we could have a library with an actually infinite collection of books on its shelves. Remember that we are talking not about a potentially infinite number of books, but about a completed totality of definite and distinct books that actually exist simultaneously in time and space on these library shelves. Suppose further that there were only two colors of books, black and red, and every other book as the same color. We would probably not balk if we were told that the number of black books and the number of red books is the same. But would we believe someone who told us that the number of red books in the library is the same as the number of red books plus the number of black books?