Certain people can't ever get it right

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Certain people can't ever get it right

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Morley wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:59 am
Bret Ripley wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:55 pm
That's it ... I can't take it anymore: just snagged the Kindle version.
Given the recommendations, maybe I should look at this. The trouble with some Science Fiction is that it's too nuanced for me. I might read it, as long as it doesn't have too much ambiguity and nuance.
Dude. If I can read it, anyone can. If anything, I’m worried that my endorsement may give some of the better thinkers on this forum the idea that it’s too low brow for their taste. Give it a shot. I was so engrossed I read the book over the course of a day and a half.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Morley
God
Location: Raphael, Saint Catherine of Alexandria, 1507–1509 (detail)

Post by Morley »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:12 am

Dude. If I can read it, anyone can. If anything, I’m worried that my endorsement may give some of the better thinkers on this forum the idea that it’s too low brow for their taste. Give it a shot. I was so engrossed I read the book over the course of a day and a half.

- Doc
Ha! I was mocking the Gymnast.

Like Bret, I kindled it on your recommendations.

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Morley wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:39 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

- Doc

Like Bret, I kindled it on your recommendations.

Sweet!

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Morley wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:59 am
Bret Ripley wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:55 pm
That's it ... I can't take it anymore: just snagged the Kindle version.
Given the recommendations, maybe I should look at this. The trouble with some Science Fiction is that it's too nuanced for me. I might read it, as long as it doesn't have too much ambiguity and nuance.
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

- Doc
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Omg. I can't even stop laughing.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

MG wrote:Again, you’re over simplifying what I’ve said earlier in this thread. Creating your own context and then placing me in it. Misrepresenting the points I made.
The context (of the flat earth) was set by my statement, as that's what I'm certain you were responding to with your "metaphor" of "both round and flat". I had written:
Gad wrote:what you're trying to say is that you win by default, since there is no feasible way to debunk any topic that is represented by a "heap" a grain at a time. If the flat earth is a heap, then it's impossible to disprove. If evolution is a heap, then it's possible to disprove. Wouldn't you agree that this is pretty disingenuous of you, or should we say, fraudulent?
Going back to read the context, as you urged me to do (I searched the thread for all instances of the word 'flat'), I'm dismayed that your intellectual crimes are actually worse than I originally portrayed them. I only brought up the "flat earth" as an example of your absurd invention of "heap logic", which justifies believing in whatever you want to believe. You can replace "flat earth" with 13th century medicine, or with quantum mechanics, or the doctrines of ISIS, and the problem is the same: take one grain of sand -- one idea -- from an assumed large body of interrelated ideas that establish (ISIS for instance), and shoot it down with analysis, and the heap remains. Given finite time and resources, it would be impossible to ever disprove anything that's assumed to be represented by a heap by carefully analyzing one grain at a time.

So I think we need to pause a moment and laugh at your efforts to make your own ideas invincible.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay, let's move on.

First of all, you pull my flat earth statement out of its context of your own invention of "heap logic", effectively derailing yourself in terms of what we were discussing, but then, you put a metaphorical spin on "flat earth", equivocating the sense of what I obviously meant as in, the absolute denial that the earth is round, which is a well-known example of, if not the poster child of pseudoscience as it exists today; with a sense in which "round" is not prohibited, in order to argue that my thinking is narrow. But it's worse, because your new vehicle of "koan and paradox" could be used to derail your now abandoned vehicle of the "the unassailable heap".

Rather than answer your "heap logic" straightforwardly, I could have said, "why MG, can we not say the heap is but a grain of sand, and the grain of sand the heap? For a grain is made up of even tinier particles, and from a distance, is not a heap mere spec of something much greater?"

And wouldn't that have been frustrating! A derail from nowhere, that actually doesn't contradict the point you were making. Likewise, waxing metaphorical about the earth being both round and flat says nothing about the sense of "flat earth" as is known in common parlance, the pseudoscientific movement that explicitly rejects the earth as round. When I reject the "flat earth", I'm obviously rejecting the view that explicitly insists the earth is flat, importantly, because it most definitely is NOT round.

BUT I COULD BE WRONG:

Perhaps you have a chance to escape condemnation, because when I searched the thread for "flat" I saw that it was Physic's Guy, not Chap, who introduced the idea of flatness to the earth to this thread.
PG wrote:Science has taught us well so far that we should expect new circumstances to expand our concepts. Within a few miles of home, the world is effectively flat, but over larger distances you have to extend your concepts of geometry to include curvature.
And you replied:
Excellent thoughts.

So here is your out. You didn't quote me, and so perhaps you hadn't even read my post directed to you that referred to "flat earth" and were continuing with flat earth ideas introduced by physics guy?

If so, then you should have pointed that out as your response.

But anyway, PG's thoughts of an earth both flat and round, which you considered "excellent", aren't really in line with your observations about appreciating contradiction and complexity, believing that you are "both flat and round" depending on perspective. PG was talking about accepting scientific advancement. I will have to respond to his post separately now that I've discovered it.

PG isn't arguing for perspectivism and relativism, he's arguing for intensionalism, and that will have to be another post.

Anyway, if you choose to use this as your out, note that you still derailed yourself, abruptly moving away from the "unassailable heap", and toward "koan and complexity".
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Is this a caption contest? I'm in.
Chap wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:53 pm
Pretty-cheeked dude: "there is literally nothing in my brain...."

Cud-chewing bull: "Don't all the gymnastic nuts roll down the hill to my meadow...."
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

There is a Chinese expression 'playing the lute to an ox'.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

mentalgymnast
1st Counselor

Post by mentalgymnast »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:39 pm
So I think we need to pause a moment and laugh at your efforts to make your own ideas invincible.
I’m laughing at the fact that you don’t know what the crap I was trying to put out there through my use of metaphor. At that point in the thread I had essentially left behind the discussion on the Sorites Paradox. In a sense, I was bring up the metaphor and commentary independent of anything having to do with heaps and flat earth even though flat earth is part of the metaphor. You’re going back and tangling the two together and coming up with a mish mash of stuff I didn’t say. You did this previously and forced me to go through and tear things apart bit by bit. Not going to do that this time.

The earth is round and flat at the same time.This is obvious. That it is round appears indisputable; that it is flat is our common experience, also indisputable. The globe does not supersede the map; the map does not distort the globe.
-Jeanette Winterson
mentalgymnast wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:53 am

It’s where we set our viewfinder that’s the key. I am the earth. I am round and flat at the same time.

It’s interesting to consider the fact that if any one or more of you had testimonies of the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ and that Jesus is the Christ and that God lives, your viewfinder would capture me differently. And what a difference that would make.

As it is, your viewfinder is set differently.

Regards,
MG
mentalgymnast wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:19 pm

Chap, my man. You seem to have a difficult time in translation. The metaphorical construction I posted is making a point. Well, at least one. In your everyday experience the earth, for all intents and purposes, is flat. Excepting for hills and mountains. Set your viewfinder on the surface of the earth and that’s what is observed. Go up in an airplane or orbit the earth in the space shuttle and spend any time looking through a viewfinder and your observations will result in noticing that the earth doesn’t appear flat. Same earth, different setting and position with the viewfinder.

See the correlation I’m alluding to?

by the way, literalists...black and white thinkers...have a difficult time looking at the world through a metaphorical viewfinder.

Regards,
MG
mentalgymnast wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:32 pm

Again, I think you are not seeing the metaphorical comparison I’m attempting to make. You can see this as a circular argument if you are looking at it with your viewfinder set in a certain position from a given location. That of a strict rationalist.

The church and its doctrines can be viewed in various ways through different viewfinder settings and different positions. Just as the earth is both flat and round, so is the church. For those in whom the church appears flat, it remains observably flat because of their positioning and the settings on their viewfinder. For those in whom the church appears round, it appears so because of their positioning and the settings on their viewfinder.

The earth is both flat and round. The church is both flat and round.

Flat=______________
Round=____________

And they’re both true. But one more so than the other with greater perspective and finer tuning.

Get it?

Regards,
MG
These are the three posts in question. Nothing to do with heaps, etc.

Then Chap comes back with this:

The earth is not both round and flat, it is round (though oblate rather than spherical), but you may use the false assumption that it is flat over any distance small enough so that the resulting error is within a level of precision suitable for the activity you are pursuing. This is a straightforward matter of mathematical caculation. There is no parallel at all with the adoption or rejection of a given point of view about the kind of religious matters to which MG is attempting to apply his failed analogy.
And that was it. I call him out on his rather binary and black and white view of looking at a metaphor and things seemed to go downhill at that point with ‘troll’ accusations and the like. No other useful contributions having to do with my actual comments made on the metaphor. Then you come in with a bunch of nonsense that really had nothing to do with my presentation of the metaphor and the comments I made afterward.

In other words’s, as I’ve seen many times before, much ado about nothing. Or in this case, much ado about something I wasn’t even saying.

Deflection at its best. Misdirection at its worst.

Anyway, master contortionist, I think I’ve spent enough time with you on this go round. At least I hope so. I don’t see anything useful having been accomplished having to deal with your shenanigans.

Regards,
MG