Did LDS leaders get the vaccine because of preferential treatment?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
mentalgymnast
1st Counselor

Re: Did LDS leaders get the vaccine because of preferential treatment?

Post by mentalgymnast »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:39 pm

2) So, you believe the LDS leadership have shortened the pandemic by getting stuck first, but you can’t say for sure WWJD. Ok. Just kind of weird that you’re sure about one unprovable thing and not the other.
With those in my family I can guarantee you that Russell M. Nelson and other GA’s getting the vaccine was much more of a catalyst for them to receive the vaccine when it’s their turn than John Dehlin receiving it. That may have to do with the fact that my family, excluding myself and one brother, don’t even know who he is.

Yes, the fact that Russell M. Nelson and others received the vaccine is a good thing in that many folks who are or have been hesitant about receiving it are now more willing.

And that’s great. Why the big to do?

Regards,
MG
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

mentalgymnast wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:56 am
With those in my family I can guarantee you that Russell M. Nelson and other GA’s getting the vaccine was much more of a catalyst for them to receive the vaccine...
Wow, are you serious? Really? Aren't there ANY Mormons left who think for themselves? That's just nuts.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Yeah, not a strong endorsement for those non-black and white thinkers Mormons are known to be.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

honorentheos wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:03 pm

Yeah it's been quite the conversation. Jesus.
If you're going to address the Jesus question then just do it and stop equivocating.

:lol:
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Lem wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:01 am
Wow, are you serious? Really? Aren't there ANY Mormons left who think for themselves?
Faithful Saints are branded apostates if they share their thoughts with others at Church. To be faithful, the Saints learn not to have thoughts. Anyway, the thinking has already been done.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
mentalgymnast
1st Counselor

Post by mentalgymnast »

Lem wrote:
mentalgymnast wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:56 am
With those in my family I can guarantee you that Russell M. Nelson and other GA’s getting the vaccine was much more of a catalyst for them to receive the vaccine...
Wow, are you serious? Really? Aren't there ANY Mormons left who think for themselves? That's just nuts.
They’ll make there own decisions, but it won’t hurt...it will only help...to see examples of respected individuals taking the plunge, so to speak. There is a certain amount of trepidation with some folks in and out of the church, to receive the vaccine. Role models are helpful.

Regards,
MG
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

cinepro wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:14 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:16 pm
Cinepro,

I’ll answer your questions if you answer mine:
1) Why did you introduce Dehlin as a rhetorical device on this forum?
It seemed an interesting contrast to see how people are judging the situation. Is it worse for Russell M. Nelson to get the vaccine, or John Dehlin? Or is it equally good or bad? If you consider it an unwanted or irrelevant inclusion in the conversation, feel free to ignore it (but since there are a limited number of vaccines, it is directly related).
You are misrepresenting the situation being asked about in the OP by suggesting John Dehlin getting the vaccine is an appropriate contrast. The OP is asking how did a significant proportion of the Apostles (100% of the Apostles >70 years old) and their wives all get the vaccine on the same day at the head of the queue, and why. An individual getting a vaccine more than a week into the programme is an entirely different thing. By all means start a different thread to discuss how and why John Dehlin got a vaccination more than a week into the program.
cinepro
CTR B

Post by cinepro »

IHAQ wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:06 am
You are misrepresenting the situation being asked about in the OP by suggesting John Dehlin getting the vaccine is an appropriate contrast. The OP is asking how did a significant proportion of the Apostles (100% of the Apostles >70 years old) and their wives all get the vaccine on the same day at the head of the queue, and why. An individual getting a vaccine more than a week into the programme is an entirely different thing. By all means start a different thread to discuss how and why John Dehlin got a vaccination more than a week into the program.
I still think it's an interesting question: which bothers you more? People in a very high risk group getting the vaccine in a way that promotes public health but offends your sense of "fairness", or a healthy, low-risk person getting the vaccine before other high-risk people do, but in a way that supports your sense of "fairness" because a somewhat arbitrary decision was made by a bureaucracy? It's a choice between science (and public health), and "fairness." I've already clearly explained that I choose public health. It's just interesting to me that others choose "fairness" with such vigor. And to be clear, I certainly don't begrudge Dehlin or anyone else from getting the vaccine. With so many vaccinees going unused at this point, I think it's great when anyone gets a shot.

I would also point out that your perception of there only being a "queue" or some other randomized methodology for vaccine distribution is entirely false (and this false perception is probably contributing to your frustration). The vaccines are being allocated based on politics, public health, statistics, logistics, and guessing. When the vaccine is made available to certain pools, there may be some degree of apparent "randomness", but even then, it is largely determined by persistence, access to technology, and then some degree of "luck"/randomness. As a healthy <50yo, my inability to get the vaccine right now isn't due to "randomness"; it's by design. Although I could go to the mass vaccination area a few miles from my house and wait in the stand bye queue where some people in my group are getting vaccinations due to no shows and under-allocation. So is the fact that I haven't been vaccinated yet due to luck, randomness, design, or my personal choice?
Last edited by cinepro on Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cinepro
CTR B

Post by cinepro »

mentalgymnast wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:11 am
They’ll make there own decisions, but it won’t hurt...it will only help...to see examples of respected individuals taking the plunge, so to speak. There is a certain amount of trepidation with some folks in and out of the church, to receive the vaccine. Role models are helpful.

Regards,
MG
Interestingly, there is apparently a rumor that Kamela Harris's (and other high profile) vaccinations were faked with dummy syringes. So even with these public examples, some people don't believe. But you can imagine what they would be saying if people were telling others to get vaccinated but not getting vaccinated (or even pretending to be vaccinated) themselves!

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-fact ... SKBN29A2K7
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Moksha wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:35 am
Lem wrote:
Wow, are you serious? Really? Aren't there ANY Mormons left who think for themselves?
Faithful Saints are branded apostates if they share their thoughts with others at Church. To be faithful, the Saints learn not to have thoughts. Anyway, the thinking has already been done.
:lol: amen, brother bird, amen.