Did LDS leaders get the vaccine because of preferential treatment?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
cinepro
CTR B

Re: Did LDS leaders get the vaccine because of preferential treatment?

Post by cinepro »

Lem wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:11 am
Really? So, separation of church and state is put aside so that ONE church can be privileged? Maybe that happens, it doesn't make it acceptable. It certainly wouldn't work elsewhere, one can only hope.
If it were shown that the majority of vaccines in Utah had gone to LDS, would that also be objectionable to you?
cinepro
CTR B

Post by cinepro »

Relevant thoughts:
Clergy have an important role to play in messaging and communication about the vaccine and getting people access to it. “Focusing on trusted messengers such as religious leaders have been a part of every national public health strategy,” says Mimi Kiser, senior program director of the Interfaith Health Program and an assistant professor at Rollins School of Public Health at Emory University in Atlanta.
https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19 ... vaccinated
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:14 am
So, why wouldn’t a simple statement by the First Presidency stating that they registered like everyone else and will get their shots while urging the membership to do the same not be enough?

Did other faith leaders in Utah jump the queue, too?

- Doc
I’m not seeing anywhere else that clergy from other faiths in Utah were afforded the same consideration that the LDS leadership were given. Maybe my google-fu skillz is weak today.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:08 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
So, why wouldn’t a simple statement by the First Presidency stating that they registered like everyone else and will get their shots while urging the membership to do the same not be enough?

- Doc
I’m not seeing anywhere else that clergy from other faiths in Utah were afforded the same consideration that the LDS leadership were given. Maybe my google-fu skillz is weak today.

- Doc
I guess the idea of a handful of people in the current phase age group being given the vaccine that is used as a public relations event where the recipients are revered as nearly infallible by over half the population of the State is not exactly freakout material in my mind. It is, you know, a damned deadly pandemic that's going on or something.
Last edited by honorentheos on Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Public relations event.
I keep forgetting we are talking about Utah. :roll: Personally, that time I saw a tweet of Nelson pushing an unplugged vacuum around, I was touched. I changed my slothful ways, and my vacuum hasn't left my hand for weeks now. Who knows how dirty my floors would be if I didn't have a religious leader to inspire me!

Sarcasm over. Where I live? “F” NO, a PSA by a cult leader getting a vaccine wouldn't influence one single person. But again, I keep forgetting we're talking about Utah, the affinity fraud capitol of the world. :lol:
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

How long did it take the First Presidency to urge their flock to wear masks again? I get the POV that they were using their status to set the example regarding the vaccine - I’m in that camp, however, I can’t fault anyone for taking a cynical hot take given the FP’s self-serving and secretive behaviors over the years.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

IHAQ wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:41 pm
Looking at the reports of long queues in Utah of 70 year olds waiting for a vaccination, it’s very clear the Church Leaders were all afforded a priority over other 70 year olds.
The vaccines were given at the Intermountain Medical Center. I imagine the Kroger Board of Directors got the first crack at the Kroger toilet paper during the big runs. The older Brethren were merely exercising the well known Prima Nocta business rights of corporations.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
cinepro
CTR B

Post by cinepro »

honorentheos wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:00 am
I guess the idea that a giving a handful of people in the current phase age group the vaccine and make it a public relations event showing people over half the population of the State consider almost unfallable is not exactly freakout material in my mind. It is, you know, a stupid deadly pandemic going on or something.
I'm with you. I just don't get the assumptions.

Why are people assuming that the vaccine distribution is first-come, first-served, or supposed to be randomly distributed in the different groups? Here in California, no such promises have been made. As far as I can tell, they could handout the vaccines to celebrities and rich people that are in the risk groups and no policy would be broken (although to be fair, there were some upset people writing letters to the editor in the LA Times over Schwarzenegger getting his, even though he's 73 years old.)

The headline is that a bunch of people over the age of 70 got vaccines. Yay for them. And yay for thus. We're that much closer to the pandemic being over.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

The Brethren took a beating by members practicing QAnon Mormonism when they got vaccinated. They shouldn't take any grief from those who understand the importance of the populace being vaccinated. Seeing them receive the vaccine publicly was important for public health throughout Utah and anywhere else the Saints might be vaccine-hesitant.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:08 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

- Doc

- Doc
I'm likewise struggling to find anything that would indicate that other religious leaders in Utah were afforded special treatment.