Is Mormonism so bad?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: Is Mormonism so bad?

Post by Kishkumen »

dastardly stem wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:15 pm
I hope we see this conversation come to an end at some point and we can move on with mutual respect. On the question of whether Jesus lived i can certainly be convinced he did, as i said when this all started im personally swayed in thinking he did. I thought Carriers position was being misconstrued so I persisted as I think he has a pretty strong case.

On the question of whether Jesus lived, I only have to consider the evidence offered by those claiming he did and point out whether it works or doesn't work and why. On the claim that the mention of Pilate is evidence id maintain its not evidence for Jesus living. Its actually irrelevant on the explanation I offered. Shrug...a little. I couldbe wrong. But I don't see how. The concept of verisimilitude seems to be used to explain history and connect elements of the stories so they make sense and come out a little more full and acceptable,, but I admit I don't think it can be taken as evidence for a claim since by far the most parsimonious explanation, particularly in this case, is that Pilate was already rumored as a governor who was cruel and persecuted and killed. There certainly could have been others but as has been said it only takes one to make the story work and any old one will do.

I'd be happy to address other evidence as I'm quite aware there is other pieces. I know Carrier and many others have considered and addressed each piece of claimed evidence. I appreciate the conversation. Its interesting at least to think about these things in this way.
I see why non-historians, and I guess a few fringe historians, think that Carrier has really got something. After looking at a bunch of his stuff, and interacting with other very intelligent people in other fields who look at what he is doing from a philosophical or scientific angle, I have come to the conclusion that his method does not work. Much of the problem that I have seen is that people are not schooled in historical reasoning, and they are unable to distinguish between the methods of ancient and modern history, or between evidence and proof. People will confuse the latter, for example, such that they think something that does not prove a case is not evidence in favor of it. There are many degrees in this broader problem. Some are more impacted by the misunderstanding than others.

Ancient history is built on small amounts of evidence, but it is based on evidence. If we say that Jesus did not exist based on these kinds of probabilities, we may as well question the existence of very many other people of whom there is even less evidence. Evidently the existence of so many pieces of evidence in the text that are plausible or clearly historical do not matter, if we are able to whittle away individual parts based on our own sense of whether it could have happened or not. Just be able to plug it into a sciencey-looking symbolic notation, and you're good.

What we are left with, oddly, is a quasi-scientific way of supporting what is essentially a kind of conspiracy-theorist approach, or at least the other side of one. You have focused on the tearing down part, and yet what is also interesting is the building up part. This is the Spalding Theory aspect of the Carrier story, wherein we are left to imagine what kind of author using which kind of materials and for what kind of motives wrote the Gospels. And the answers are pretty damned dubious. Really, they are much less convincing than simply accepting that someone has dressed up the life of Jesus much as Suetonius dressed up the life of Augustus in an account that was written for his own purposes. Yes, there is a big difference in the number of verifiable facts brought to bear on the work of constructing the biography, but there is also a big admixture of ideology and theology in both works too.

I invite you to consider whether Pythagoras actually lived, and whether the Pythagorean theorem is really Pythagoras' work. I could imagine Carrier arguing that Pythagoras is clearly made up, but it is interesting that he never took the time and trouble to do so. Another person we might doubt the existence of is Apollonius of Tyana, or Alexander of Abonuteichus, both of whom lived much later than Pythagoras, in the Roman imperial period, in fact. Go read the works that describe their lives.

This is the part that is frustrating to me as a historian. I have so much experience with this material, as well as with the life of Jesus in the Gospels, and it is pretty obvious to me that so many of the same things are going on in all of these cases, but today we have such a profound level of historical illiteracy and so many assumptions about how the past should be reported, that we have no problem applying our uninformed assumptions to texts like the Gospels. Because nature abhors a vacuum, instead of asking whether one knows enough to know the answer to a question, it seems all we need is to find the right authority to stand behind, preferably one who uses pie charts and equations.
The earliest and by far the most detailed source is the Life of Apollonius of Tyana, a lengthy, novelistic biography written by the sophist Philostratus at the request of empress Julia Domna. She died in 217 AD.,[5] and he completed it after her death, probably in the 220s or 230s AD. Philostratus's account shaped the image of Apollonius for posterity. To some extent it is a valuable source because it contains data from older writings which were available to Philostratus, but disappeared later on. Among these works are an excerpt (preserved by Eusebius) from On Sacrifices, and certain alleged letters of Apollonius. The sage may have actually written some of these works, along with the no-longer extant Biography of Pythagoras.[6] At least two biographical sources that Philostratus used are lost: a book by the imperial secretary Maximus describing Apollonius's activities in Maximus's home city of Aegaeae in Aeolis, and a biography by a certain Moiragenes. There also survives, separately from the life by Philostratus, a collection of letters of Apollonius, but at least some of these seem to be spurious.[7]

One of the essential sources Philostratus claimed to know are the “memoirs” (or “diary”) of Damis, an acolyte and companion of Apollonius. Some scholars claim that the notebooks of Damis were an invention of Philostratus,[8] while others think it could have been a real book forged by someone else and naïvely used by Philostratus.[9] Philostratus describes Apollonius as a wandering teacher of philosophy and miracle-worker who was mainly active in Greece and Asia Minor but also traveled to Italy, Spain, and North Africa, and even to Mesopotamia, India, and Ethiopia. In particular, he tells lengthy stories of Apollonius entering the city of Rome in disregard of emperor Nero's ban on philosophers, and later on being summoned, as a defendant, to the court of Domitian, where he defied the emperor in blunt terms. He had allegedly been accused of conspiring against the emperor, performing human sacrifice, and predicting a plague by means of magic. Philostratus implies that upon his death, Apollonius of Tyana underwent heavenly assumption.[10]

How much of this can be accepted as historical truth depends largely on the extent to which modern scholars trust Philostratus, and in particular on whether they believe in the reality of Damis. Some of these scholars contend that Apollonius never came to Western Europe and was virtually unknown there until the 3rd century AD, when Empress Julia Domna, who was herself from the province of Syria, decided to popularize him and his teachings in Rome.[11] For that purpose, so these same scholars believe, she commissioned Philostratus to write the biography, in which Apollonius is exalted as a fearless sage with supernatural powers, even greater than Pythagoras. This view of Julia Domna's role in the making of the Apollonius legend gets some support from the fact that her son Caracalla worshipped him,[12] and her grandnephew emperor Severus Alexander may have done so as well.[13
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollonius_of_Tyana
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:47 am
Yes, PG. That’s exactly right. I had written, and I thought I had posted a reply to stem about how he was ignoring a big chunk of our conversation up to this point to arrive at 50/50. I am not surprised, however. This is the Carrier way. Each piece of evidence is whittled down to something negligible and somehow the aggregate of the evidences are not allowed to do more than make anything a toss up. In truth, this is not how historical probability should work at all.
I believe the term for this kind of behavior is 'pipuling' or perhaps 'argumentum ad absurdem'.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:03 pm

I see why non-historians, and I guess a few fringe historians, think that Carrier has really got something. After looking at a bunch of his stuff, and interacting with other very intelligent people in other fields who look at what he is doing from a philosophical or scientific angle, I have come to the conclusion that his method does not work. Much of the problem that I have seen is that people are not schooled in historical reasoning, and they are unable to distinguish between the methods of ancient and modern history, or between evidence and proof. People will confuse the latter, for example, such that they think something that does not prove a case is not evidence in favor of it. There are many degrees in this broader problem. Some are more impacted by the misunderstanding than others.

Ancient history is built on small amounts of evidence, but it is based on evidence. If we say that Jesus did not exist based on these kinds of probabilities, we may as well question the existence of very many other people of whom there is even less evidence. Evidently the existence of so many pieces of evidence in the text that are plausible or clearly historical do not matter, if we are able to whittle away individual parts based on our own sense of whether it could have happened or not. Just be able to plug it into a sciencey-looking symbolic notation, and you're good.

What we are left with, oddly, is a quasi-scientific way of supporting what is essentially a kind of conspiracy-theorist approach, or at least the other side of one. You have focused on the tearing down part, and yet what is also interesting is the building up part. This is the Spalding Theory aspect of the Carrier story, wherein we are left to imagine what kind of author using which kind of materials and for what kind of motives wrote the Gospels. And the answers are pretty damned dubious. Really, they are much less convincing than simply accepting that someone has dressed up the life of Jesus much as Suetonius dressed up the life of Augustus in an account that was written for his own purposes. Yes, there is a big difference in the number of verifiable facts brought to bear on the work of constructing the biography, but there is also a big admixture of ideology and theology in both works too.

I invite you to consider whether Pythagoras actually lived, and whether the Pythagorean theorem is really Pythagoras' work. I could imagine Carrier arguing that Pythagoras is clearly made up, but it is interesting that he never took the time and trouble to do so. Another person we might doubt the existence of is Apollonius of Tyana, or Alexander of Abonuteichus, both of whom lived much later than Pythagoras, in the Roman imperial period, in fact. Go read the works that describe their lives.

This is the part that is frustrating to me as a historian. I have so much experience with this material, as well as with the life of Jesus in the Gospels, and it is pretty obvious to me that so many of the same things are going on in all of these cases, but today we have such a profound level of historical illiteracy and so many assumptions about how the past should be reported, that we have no problem applying our uninformed assumptions to texts like the Gospels. Because nature abhors a vacuum, instead of asking whether one knows enough to know the answer to a question, it seems all we need is to find the right authority to stand behind, preferably one who uses pie charts and equations.
The earliest and by far the most detailed source is the Life of Apollonius of Tyana, a lengthy, novelistic biography written by the sophist Philostratus at the request of empress Julia Domna. She died in 217 AD.,[5] and he completed it after her death, probably in the 220s or 230s AD. Philostratus's account shaped the image of Apollonius for posterity. To some extent it is a valuable source because it contains data from older writings which were available to Philostratus, but disappeared later on. Among these works are an excerpt (preserved by Eusebius) from On Sacrifices, and certain alleged letters of Apollonius. The sage may have actually written some of these works, along with the no-longer extant Biography of Pythagoras.[6] At least two biographical sources that Philostratus used are lost: a book by the imperial secretary Maximus describing Apollonius's activities in Maximus's home city of Aegaeae in Aeolis, and a biography by a certain Moiragenes. There also survives, separately from the life by Philostratus, a collection of letters of Apollonius, but at least some of these seem to be spurious.[7]

One of the essential sources Philostratus claimed to know are the “memoirs” (or “diary”) of Damis, an acolyte and companion of Apollonius. Some scholars claim that the notebooks of Damis were an invention of Philostratus,[8] while others think it could have been a real book forged by someone else and naïvely used by Philostratus.[9] Philostratus describes Apollonius as a wandering teacher of philosophy and miracle-worker who was mainly active in Greece and Asia Minor but also traveled to Italy, Spain, and North Africa, and even to Mesopotamia, India, and Ethiopia. In particular, he tells lengthy stories of Apollonius entering the city of Rome in disregard of emperor Nero's ban on philosophers, and later on being summoned, as a defendant, to the court of Domitian, where he defied the emperor in blunt terms. He had allegedly been accused of conspiring against the emperor, performing human sacrifice, and predicting a plague by means of magic. Philostratus implies that upon his death, Apollonius of Tyana underwent heavenly assumption.[10]

How much of this can be accepted as historical truth depends largely on the extent to which modern scholars trust Philostratus, and in particular on whether they believe in the reality of Damis. Some of these scholars contend that Apollonius never came to Western Europe and was virtually unknown there until the 3rd century AD, when Empress Julia Domna, who was herself from the province of Syria, decided to popularize him and his teachings in Rome.[11] For that purpose, so these same scholars believe, she commissioned Philostratus to write the biography, in which Apollonius is exalted as a fearless sage with supernatural powers, even greater than Pythagoras. This view of Julia Domna's role in the making of the Apollonius legend gets some support from the fact that her son Caracalla worshipped him,[12] and her grandnephew emperor Severus Alexander may have done so as well.[13

I appreciate the invite but I'm afraid it's not going to be very helpful. I see this issue going the similar rounds of the Hamblin/Jenkins debate. If the claim is Jesus really lived then I just need to see evidence for it. When claimed evidence (like the Pilate thing) gets evaluated it doesn't seem to be evidence at all. Then there's complex sounding reasons offered why that which doesn't seem to be evidence should really be evidence and I'm left to conclude its far more reasonable to conclude the claimed evidence doesn't actually provide evidence for the claim. Of course as it is Hamblin had a much steeper hill to climb in providing evidence for the Book of Mormon, but Hamblin too couldn't help himself but to point out that Jenkins isn't considering all the expert writeups about it and suggested too much is being asked for when one asks for evidence. Ancient history has to be done with minimal evidence because otherwise we can't really claim to know much of anything, we can't be clear enough to claim Pythagoras really lived and the like.

Really though...I don't think that matters. Whether Pythagoras really lived or Jesus for that matter, may never really be known. They could all be mythical characters, or they could have really lived, to think things like evidence and the like shouldn't matter all because the paucity of information we can gather and that which we can deduce from that doesn't tell us complete stories doesn't seem the proper way forward. We should accept its possible and be able to determine the likelihood of Jesus without all the convoluted sounding hullabaloo. The myth borrowing, the miraculous/supernatural elements of it all should stand as good reason to make the evaluations. Pythagoras and Apollonius aren't believed today by billions of people like Jesus..so evaluating the evidence or non evidence for their existence doesn't really mean as much. On that I don't see the point other than as a practice of history which necessarily includes, then, verisimilitude which again, as I see it, doesn't seem to amount to evidence. Its used as a replacement so the stories from history work and make sense.
Last edited by dastardly stem on Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I appreciate the invite but I'm afraid it's not going to be very helpful. I see this issue going the similar rounds of the Hamblin/whatshisname debate. If the claim is Jesus really lived then I just need to see evidence for it. When claimed evidence (like the Pilate thing) gets evaluated it doesn't seem to be evidence at all. Then there's complex sounding reasons offered why that which doesn't seem to be evidence should really be evidence and I'm left to conclude its far more reasonable to conclude the claimed evidence doesn't actually provide evidence for the claim. Of course as it is Hamblin had a much steeper hill to climb in providing evidence for the Book of Mormon, but Hamblin too couldn't help himself but to point out that whathisname isn't considering all the expert writeups about it and suggested too much is being asked for when one asks for evidence. Ancient history has to be done with minimal evidence because otherwise we can't really claim to know much of anything, we can't be clear enough to claim Pythagoras really lived and the like.

Really though...I don't think that matters. Whether Pythagoras really lived or Jesus for that matter, may never really be known. They could all be mythical characters, or they could have really lived, to think things like evidence and the like shouldn't matter all because the paucity of information we can gather and that which we can deduce from that doesn't tell us complete stories doesn't seem the proper way forward. We should accept its possible and be able to determine the likelihood of Jesus without all the convoluted sounding hullabaloo. The myth borrowing, the miraculous/supernatural elements of it all should stand as good reason to make the evaluations. Pythagoras and Apollonius aren't believed today by billions of people like Jesus..so evaluating the evidence or non evidence for their existence doesn't really mean as much. On that I don't see the point other than as a practice of history which necessarily includes, then, verisimilitude which again, as I see it, doesn't seem to amount to evidence. Its used as a replacement so the stories from history work and make sense.
It is kind of reassuring that you, much like our other dear friend Kevin Graham, are essentially the same person regardless of which side of the aisle you are sitting on. The truth is that you don't really know a lot about what evidence is or how to weigh it.(To be clear, that is not true of Kevin.) Sure, if you see a statue with a guy's name on it, signed by a guy who allegedly lived at the same time, you would likely fall over totally convinced that the case was proven. Perhaps if Richard Carrier himself ran a Bayesian equation showing why you should consider it evidence you would agree.

Sorry to be blunt, but this is precisely what the problem is. You read Carrier, and you were impressed with what looked like his fancy arguments against evidence, and you have adopted his hyper-skepticism as your own. By the way, hyper-skepticism is not a virtue. It is an immature intellectual state that leads to pointless aporia.

You may disagree, but your own hyper-skeptical assumptions, which show up quite clearly in you concluding on nothing more than assertion that evidence is not evidence, make my point for me. I guess my one solace here is that you are unlikely to become a history teacher, so I can let you go merrily on your way dismissing what you don't understand on the basis of your ignorance and love of authority figures. An invitation extended to you to consider evidence for yourself plainly ain't cutting it. Perhaps it is too much work.

This is what our culture has devolved to--people who treat information and arguments as pure entertainment without any real desire to understand what a discipline and tradition going back thousands of years is all about. History, you say, is not worth it. Wow. "Wow, this Carrier guy is saying there was no Jesus; radical, dude!"
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Meadowchik
Priest

Post by Meadowchik »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:42 pm

It is kind of reassuring that you, much like our other dear friend Kevin Graham, are essentially the same person regardless of which side of the aisle you are sitting on. The truth is that you don't really know a lot about what evidence is or how to weigh it.(To be clear, that is not true of Kevin.) Sure, if you see a statue with a guy's name on it, signed by a guy who allegedly lived at the same time, you would likely fall over totally convinced that the case was proven. Perhaps if Richard Carrier himself ran a Bayesian equation showing why you should consider it evidence you would agree.

Sorry to be blunt, but this is precisely what the problem is. You read Carrier, and you were impressed with what looked like his fancy arguments against evidence, and you have adopted his hyper-skepticism as your own. By the way, hyper-skepticism is not a virtue. It is an immature intellectual state that leads to pointless aporia.

You may disagree, but your own hyper-skeptical assumptions, which show up quite clearly in you concluding on nothing more than assertion that evidence is not evidence, make my point for me. I guess my one solace here is that you are unlikely to become a history teacher, so I can let you go merrily on your way dismissing what you don't understand on the basis of your ignorance and love of authority figures. An invitation extended to you to consider evidence for yourself plainly ain't cutting it. Perhaps it is too much work.

This is what our culture has devolved to--people who treat information and arguments as pure entertainment without any real desire to understand what a discipline and tradition going back thousands of years is all about. History, you say, is not worth it. Wow. "Wow, this Carrier guy is saying there was no Jesus; radical, dude!"
Personal attack much? Yeesh.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Of course as it is Hamblin had a much steeper hill to climb in providing evidence for the Book of Mormon, but Hamblin too couldn't help himself but to point out that whathisname isn't considering all the expert writeups about it and suggested too much is being asked for when one asks for evidence. Ancient history has to be done with minimal evidence because otherwise we can't really claim to know much of anything, we can't be clear enough to claim Pythagoras really lived and the like.
One more thing, in case anyone who really wants to think through these matters more carefully is reading. The problem with the Book of Mormon is that it is a hapax legomenon, which literally means, "something that is said once," but in this case, metaphorically speaking, a complete outlier alone on an island without any supporting material of any kind.

The case of Jesus is completely different. If in Jesus we saw something that totally did not fit the archaeological, linguistic, or historical context in any way, we could conclude quite comfortably that he was made up. The truth is quite the opposite, but it takes people who know something about these disciplines and take them seriously, as they are policed by their peers, over many generations, to build up a good case.

The case has been well made by others. The story of Jesus fits so well that it boggles the mind to imagine any person making him up. The other figures reported in the story fit the context so well, and are affirmed by other sources, as, by the way, is Jesus. (Putting aside the way people seek to erase the Testimonium Flavianum and other, similar things.)

Where do we find ANYTHING concerning the Book of Mormon that comes ANYWHERE close? The Book of Mormon is OBVIOUSLY not ancient.

Where are the plates?
Where are other plates like them?
When have they been examined?
Where are the Reformed Egyptian texts on any other material?
Where is the evidence of ancient Christianity in the New World before the arrival of Spaniards?

Yes, it screams not ancient. If it is not ancient, then there is no Nephi. 99 to 1 odds or better that he never existed. The case for Jesus?

Mentioned in numerous ancient texts (attested in literally thousands of copies, a few going back to the second century CE), some written within roughly two decades of his death by someone who met Jesus' associates.

SOMEONE WHO MET JESUS' ASSOCIATES!

If you can't see the probability differences there, then heaven help you. Seriously.

The Book of Mormon is not a text written in antiquity. Jesus is most (90/10 odds?) likely a person who really did live in the first half of the first century CE in ancient Palestine. Both of those things are abundantly clear.
Last edited by Kishkumen on Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Meadowchik wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:56 pm
Personal attack much? Yeesh.
Rudeness in this case is very much a two-way street.

Don't ask idle questions. If you are seriously interested in knowing, I have some evidence and arguments. If you brush them aside because you suddenly don't care, don't expect me to conclude that you are polite and respectful.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Again, for people who don't think that history is a pointless waste of time unless it concerns the non-existence of Jesus of Nazareth.

Alexander of Abonoteichus was a religious figure who lived in Paphlagonia of Asia Minor in the second century CE. The only text that talks about him was written by the Syrian satirist Lukian.

http://www.tertullian.org/rpearse/lucia ... xander.htm

The cult that Alexander allegedly founded (on Lukian's testimony), that of the oracular god Glykon, appears on numerous Roman imperial coins of the middle to late second century CE. However, Alexander himself appears on none of them.

Alexander is purportedly mentioned by the Christian writer Athenagoras (c. 133- c. 190 CE) in his work, Apology. I quote:
But God, being perfectly good, is eternally doing good. That, moreover, those who exert the power are not the same as those to whom the statues are erected, very strong evidence is afforded by Troas and Parium. The one has statues of Neryllinus, a man of our own times; and Parium of Alexander and Proteus: both the sepulchre and the statue of Alexander are still in the forum. The other statues of Neryllinus, then, are a public ornament, if indeed a city can be adorned by such objects as these; but one of them is supposed to utter oracles and to heal the sick, and on this account the people of the Troad offer sacrifices to this statue, and overlay it with gold, and hang chaplets upon it. But of the statues of Alexander and Proteus (the latter, you are aware, threw himself into the fire near Olympia), that of Proteus is likewise said to utter oracles; and to that of Alexander-

"Wretched Paris, though in form so fair,

Thou slave of woman" -

Sacrifices are offered and festivals are held at the public cost, as to a god who can hear. Is it, then, Neryllinus, and Proteus, and Alexander who exert these energies in connection with the statues, or is it the nature of the matter itself? But the matter is brass. And what can brass do of itself, which may be made again into a different form, as Amasis treated the footpan, as told by Herodotus? And Neryllinus, and Proteus, and Alexander, what good are they to the sick? For what the image is said now to effect, it effected when Neryllinus was alive and sick.
Notice that nowhere here is the Alexander mentioned specified as being the one in Lukian's satirical work.

Nevertheless, most historians treat Lukian's Alexander, on the basis of this evidence, as a real, historical figure.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:42 pm

*Shrug...not really. I haven't adopted Carrier's view as my own. As I pointed out I fall just on the other side of the issue as he--when it comes down to it I think Jesus actually did live. But I'd agree in that many things pointed to as strong evidence is either really weak or not really evidence at all. We have to make some leaps and that isn't really a big deal, in my view.

I haven't adopted his "hyper-skepticism" so I guess I can take your insult as simply your lashing out, after having misunderstood where i'm coming from. Its unfortunate because I figured we could talk about these things and not get worked up like this.

I don't think history is not worth it. It is crucial to our lives. But you are right, I'm not so trained, nor am I an expert. And if it's true the Pilate mention can be considered evidence, then so be it. I'd be wrong. I could easily accept that. As I see it, I don't see how anyone can reasonably conclude the mention of Pilate is evidence that Jesus actually lived. I'm open to being convinced otherwise, I've considered what you've said and have stayed put in my position. Again...I could be wrong.

On this, though, I would think history is not about claiming some event with certainty. It's all about likelihood and probability. And as the discipline demonstrates some things are more likely than others.
One more thing, in case anyone who really wants to think through these matters more carefully is reading. The problem with the Book of Mormon is that it is, metaphorically speaking, a hapax legomenon, which literally means, "something that is said once," but in this case, metaphorically speaking, a complete outlier alone on an island without any supporting material of any kind.

The case of Jesus is completely different. If in Jesus we saw something that totally did not fit the archaeological, linguistic, or historical context in any way, we could conclude quite comfortably that he was made up. The truth is quite the opposite, but it takes people who know something about these disciplines and take them seriously, as they are policed by their peers, over many generations, to build up a good case.

The case has been well made by others. The story of Jesus fits so well that it boggles the mind to imagine any person making him up. The other figures reported in the story fit the context so well, and are affirmed by other sources, as, by the way, is Jesus. (Putting aside the way people seek to erase the Testimonium Flavianum and other, similar things.)

Where do we find ANYTHING concerning the Book of Mormon that comes ANYWHERE close? The Book of Mormon is OBVIOUSLY not ancient.
I agree. The example I offered was simply to point out that the disagreement between whether Jesus lived or did not live is decided upon the evidence. He who thinks he lives needs to supply the evidence for the claim. It was not an attempt to say Book of Mormon historicity and Jesus historicity are comparable in and of themselves.
Rudeness in this case is very much a two-way street.

Don't ask idle questions. If you are seriously interested in knowing, I have some evidence and arguments. If you brush them aside because you suddenly don't care, don't expect me to conclude that you are polite and respectful.
I certainly did not intend to be rude or disrespectful. I don't know what evidence I brushed aside. I did mention I think the Pythagoras and Apollonius examples were not applicable and said why I thought that. It was not meant to be disrespectful of course. It appears we simply disagree on whether there is some application here. Aside from what you quoted regarding Apollonius I have no particular issue. I'm not making the connection you seem to have here. I don't think Carrier or myself would be obligated to argue Apollonius never lived, nor should it even matter as a question in regards to whether Jesus lived or not.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Manetho
Valiant B

Post by Manetho »

dastardly stem wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:50 pm
I don't think Carrier or myself would be obligated to argue Apollonius never lived, nor should it even matter as a question in regards to whether Jesus lived or not.
The comparison exposes the double standard. If Carrier's dismissal of the evidence for Jesus's existence were applied across the board, countless other ancient people would be consigned to the twilight zone: "May have been made up; we'll never know." But Carrier just wants to erase Jesus, so he contrives ways to dismiss the evidence for Jesus' existence and doesn't pursue the larger implications of his arguments.