John Gee leaves bizarre message as he steps down from editorship, also his inappropriate Ritner review

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: John Gee leaves bizarre message as he steps down from editorship, also his inappropriate Ritner review

Post by Kishkumen »

I don’t consider it my shortcoming that you do not recognize and/or acknowledge the fact that those two statements are not, in fact, contradictory.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Lem
God

Re: John Gee leaves bizarre message as he steps down from editorship, also his inappropriate Ritner review

Post by Lem »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:21 pm
I don’t consider it my shortcoming that you do not recognize and/or acknowledge the fact that those two statements are not, in fact, contradictory.
Of course you don't.

A comment from Jenkins that seems apropos:
Jenkins wrote: Meanwhile, this posting of mine builds on recent debates. I think this present response is important because it gets to the heart of all the discussions we have been having here recently, and to any and all of my requests for concrete, specific evidence. I don’t for a second think his latest comments answer these problems, nor do they even address them directly. I was amused to see how far he is trying to divert the debate from any topic at all that might touch on any embarrassing discussions of the Book of Mormon!
Perfect.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Lem wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:36 pm
Jenkins wrote: Meanwhile, this posting of mine builds on recent debates. I think this present response is important because it gets to the heart of all the discussions we have been having here recently, and to any and all of my requests for concrete, specific evidence. I don’t for a second think his latest comments answer these problems, nor do they even address them directly. I was amused to see how far he is trying to divert the debate from any topic at all that might touch on any embarrassing discussions of the Book of Mormon!
Perfect.
Yes, and the irony is your approving quotation of it, while failing to acknowledge the obviously partisan and prejudiced nature of his enterprise.

"I was amused to see how far he is trying to divert the debate from any topic at all that might touch on any embarrassing discussions of the Book of Mormon."

In other words,

"Yes, Mormon boy, let's relish seeing you squirm while you try to avoid what we all know is clear: your scriptures are crap!"

I am not surprised that you have this blindspot. It is natural because you generally agree with Jenkins in his negative view of Mormonism and the Book of Mormon. You push me now because I have said something inconsistent with the party line that you approve of. All very predictable.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:32 pm

Yes, and the irony is your approving quotation of it, while failing to acknowledge the obviously partisan and prejudiced nature of his enterprise.

"I was amused to see how far he is trying to divert the debate from any topic at all that might touch on any embarrassing discussions of the Book of Mormon."

In other words,

"Yes, Mormon boy, let's relish seeing you squirm while you try to avoid what we all know is clear: your scriptures are crap!"

I am not surprised that you have this blindspot. It is natural because you generally agree with Jenkins in his negative view of Mormonism and the Book of Mormon. You push me now because I have said something inconsistent with the party line that you approve of. All very predictable.
Wow.
"Mormon boy"? "blind spot"? "negative view of Mormonism"? "you push me now"? "inconsistent with the party line"?

No, kishkumen, I have been stating my actual and true opinion, as politely as possible in the face of your relentless negativity and flipflopping opinions, but your language in this post certainly explains why you are so inaccurate in your statements about Jenkins.

I am sorry this is still such a painful situation for you and I hope you are someday able to resolve your feelings.

---------------
Getting back to the topic:
Dr Moore wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:10 pm
Gee certainly does have a checkered past when it comes to blenderizing, eg smuggling his apologetic obsessions into mostly unsuspecting arenas of academic research.

Pick a panel of 10 BYU professors from non-religious and non-Egyptian disciplines, put Gee’s published works track record up for review, and you are certainly going to get a failing grade. And I guaran-damn-tee if a professor of Physics or Chemistry or Electrical Engineering had snuck such blatant personal bias into their academic publishing, they would have been censured and shown the door by self-respecting peers.
Blenderizing! :lol:
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Lem wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:02 pm
Wow.
"Mormon boy"? "blind spot"? "negative view of Mormonism"? "you push me now"? "inconsistent with the party line"?

No, kishkumen, I have been stating my actual and true opinion, as politely as possible in the face of your relentless negativity and flipflopping opinions, but your language in this post certainly explains why you are so inaccurate in your statements about Jenkins.

I am sorry this is still such a painful situation for you and I hope you are someday able to resolve your feelings.
Oh, it isn't painful for me at all. I am used to your one-sided view of things and strange interpretations. I hope I never resolve my feelings in such a way that, like you, I see things as such a stark, inhuman dichotomy. I feel badly for you. Well, we all get along to the best of our abilities. And I am sure we will be more or less fine. I can live with that.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:25 pm
Lem wrote:
Wow.

Oh, it isn't painful for me at all. I am used to your one-sided view of things and strange interpretations. I hope I never resolve my feelings in such a way that, like you, I see things as such a stark, inhuman dichotomy. I feel badly for you. Well, we all get along to the best of our abilities. And I am sure we will be more or less fine. I can live with that.
it seems like your issues with leaving Mormonism have caused you much grief and so I will chalk up the personal attacks to that. I take no offense because you really seem upset by this when all I have done is politely disagree.

As always, I wish you the best with your difficulties.

-----
Again, moving past the derailment and getting back to the topic on the thread I started:
Dr Moore wrote:
Gee certainly does have a checkered past when it comes to blenderizing, eg smuggling his apologetic obsessions into mostly unsuspecting arenas of academic research.

Pick a panel of 10 BYU professors from non-religious and non-Egyptian disciplines, put Gee’s published works track record up for review, and you are certainly going to get a failing grade. And I guaran-damn-tee if a professor of Physics or Chemistry or Electrical Engineering had snuck such blatant personal bias into their academic publishing, they would have been censured and shown the door by self-respecting peers.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Lem wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:01 pm
it seems like your issues with leaving Mormonism have caused you much grief and so I will chalk up the personal attacks to that. I take no offense because you really seem upset by this when all I have done is politely disagree.

Well, thank you. I wish you the best with yours. I don't take your personal attacks against me too seriously either. I account them to your lack of self-reflection, but I suppose there could be other reasons.
Last edited by Kishkumen on Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Lem wrote:

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:25 pm
Lem wrote: it seems like your issues with leaving Mormonism have caused you much grief and so I will chalk up the personal attacks to that. I take no offense because you really seem upset by this when all I have done is politely disagree.

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:09 pm
Well, thank you. I wish you the best with yours. I don't take your personal attacks against me too seriously either. I account them to your lack of self-reflection, but I suppose there could be other reasons.
Yes. Of course.

-------

Moving on. :roll: past the derailment and getting back to the topic on the thread I started:
Dr Moore wrote:

Last edited by Lem on Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Is it crazy to think that people are capable of approaching evidentiary situations with an open mind? Without being so biased by beliefs that partisanship clouds everything?
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Lem wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:13 pm
:D