John Gee leaves bizarre message as he steps down from editorship, also his inappropriate Ritner review

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: John Gee leaves bizarre message as he steps down from editorship, also his inappropriate Ritner review

Post by Kishkumen »

I am on completely different territory when I see one particular form of activism, namely the “Ancient Book of Mormon” folks who make literal historical claims that are simply unsupportable.

I am attacking their history and their pseudo-scholarship, not their religion. Could I make that more clear?
I get it! Yes, he tries to be very careful. He wants to make it all perfectly clear. The argument about FARMS scholarship is great. I can't say that I disagree in substance with anything that he says. I have already said this numerous times. What I have been talking about is motivations. Did he talk about UFOlogists? Why not? No, he talks about nearby competing religious visions, with the implicit, if partial, agenda of supporting his own religious tradition against those that are informed by less-well-grounded to outright fictional texts about past events.

Fine scholar, fine human being. Flawed like the rest of us. Perhaps questionable decision. Differences of opinion. Overall, very valid and eloquently put arguments about FARMS. Whew. Glad to leave it there with Jenkins.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Re: John Gee leaves bizarre message as he steps down from editorship, also his inappropriate Ritner review

Post by Kishkumen »

dastardly stem wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:20 pm
I disagree. In the type of discussions Hamblin and he were having it is not at all disrespectful to state one's conclusion. I don't think religion's get passes simply because they have believers who hold to the sacred. We should definitely broach these subjects and be free to state clearly what the issues or problems are without feeling constrained by thinking a well-reasonend conclusion is going to be disrespectful.
It depends on what your goal is and what you think making the point is worth. We should be able to separate looking out for the safety and well being of others from the need to make some kind of insulting comment about the trueness of one human being's irrational views compared to another's. I think it is important to prosecute criminal behavior undertaken in the name of religion. I do not think it is important to argue about the existence of angels or whether I should consider Muhammed to have actually seen one or not.

I note that the LDS Church does not have Daniel Peterson write the missionary discussions as apologetic tracts designed to prove the historicity of the Book of Mormon. I think that speaks volumes right there. The LDS Church allows him to defend the LDS Church from people who are seeking to destroy the faith of members, but it does not employ him to convince the world that the book is history.

So whose interests does it really serve for Jenkins to treat the Book of Mormon in this way? Why is someone motivated to do what he did? If you say "the love of truth," I think you are being naïve.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:05 pm
The trouble begins with calling the work pseudo-history. The trouble begins with singling out Mormon scripture as a special example of this obviously derogatory label.

This is what I mean about the importance of rhetoric....

How about this? Phil Jenkins writes a series of pieces on the difference between history and scripture. This applies to the Book of Mormon as it does other texts. The Book of Mormon, alongside texts from his own tradition as well as others, is set out as an example of the difference between history and scripture. We can set aside the problem with the entire category of scripture, which is implicitly Christian, for the sake of this exercise.

I don't need to ask you whether you think this would be different and perhaps a wiser way to go. Because you and I both know that it is.
Surely you are joking, Kishkumen. On the off chance you are not, may I point out that that is exactly what he did.

Maybe its time for a little review. From his first blog entry in the set, he started by discussing this book:
Last year, Simcha Jacobovici and Barrie Wilson published an impressively dreadful book called The Lost Gospel: Decoding the Ancient Text that Reveals Jesus’s Marriage to Mary the Magdalene....
He then segued into his topic:
I have no wish to waste any more time on the book itself, but the whole phenomenon does raise some important points about the nature of fringe and controversial scholarship, and its relationship to the mainstream, or the scholarly consensus.... In my next few columns, I want to suggest just why that scholarly consensus matters, whether we are dealing with alternative scriptures, bizarre historical claims, or pseudo-archaeology. I’ll also try to explain how we can tell the difference between real scholarship and fringe speculations.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/anxiousbe ... o-believe/
His second entry was about insupportable beliefs of Christian origins:
Just Google “Christos Ptolemy Serapis” and see how many rabbit holes you vanish into. In some manifestations, not all, it gets into weird Afrocentric and anti-Jewish mythologies....
And emphasized this oft-quoted phrase:
Scholarship is what scholars do, and if they don’t do it, it’s not scholarship.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/anxiousbe ... onoclasts/
His third entry on the running topic begins with a discussion of 'Ancient American' magazine and its 'alternative' theories:
I have been discussing fringe or marginal theories that run contrary to the scholarly consensus in a given field... I will describe how orthodoxies are challenged over time, and how they change to accommodate new insights.

I enjoy the magazine Ancient American, although I do not necessarily agree with a word printed in any given copy. The magazine is dedicated to presenting “alternative” theories of pre-Columbian history, often emphasizing supposed evidence of early American settlement by Celts, Vikings, Hebrews, and many other peoples (“Phoenicians Sailed Lake Michigan,” “Egyptians in the Grand Canyon”). Few of those claims would stand for a moment in an academic journal.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/anxiousbe ... s-changes/
Not until his FOURTH entry was the Book of Mormon mentioned, and it was around there that Hamblin became involved.
kishkumen wrote:....So whose interests does it really serve for Jenkins to treat the Book of Mormon in this way? Why is someone motivated to do what he did? If you say "the love of truth," I think you are being naïve.
Hoping he doesn't mind an answer to the question from someone else, Jenkins was clear about why his comments about the apologetic work surrounding ancient Book of Mormon theories (NOT "the Book of Mormon") continued:
Jenkins wrote: My last few columns on this issue have been in direct response to writings by Dr. Bill Hamblin, a prominent Mormon apologist, who has gone out of his way to engage me and my ideas. (Neal Rappleye has also been writing on his blog, hence the present post). If Hamblin had not initiated and encouraged a debate, I would no longer be addressing the topic.
In that fourth entry Jenkins not only emphasized it was not the book as the church's scripture but rather the non-scholarly work done to support insupportable ideas that he was discussing, but he also situated it within a larger pattern he observed:
Let me draw an important distinction here. The LDS church obviously believes in the historicity of the Book of Mormon, but today, that does not feature prominently in their public statements or materials. To find the aggressive and really outlandish defenses of the Book and its literal historicity, you have to go to one of the several free-standing apologist groups, which have a very strong Internet presence, and produce a quite astonishing body of convincing-looking materials.

The story closely reflects trends in other areas of American religion. Although many Mormons had long hoped to find support for “scriptural archaeology,” a new trend began in 1979-1980, at exactly the same time that conservatives were on the upswing in other denominations, including the Southern Baptists....

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/anxiousbe ... d-history/
I was quite impressed with the Jenkins series of posts overall, and to think, they may not even exist, except for an apologist taking exception to Jenkins including ancient Book of Mormon theories in his overall discussion of 'scholars doing scholarship.'
Last edited by Lem on Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

This post is from a different thread, but made some interesting points related to Jenkins and Hamblin's debate about evidence:
Of course as it is Hamblin had a much steeper hill to climb in providing evidence for the Book of Mormon, but Hamblin too couldn't help himself but to point out that whathisname isn't considering all the expert writeups about it and suggested too much is being asked for when one asks for evidence....
One more thing, in case anyone who really wants to think through these matters more carefully is reading. The problem with the Book of Mormon is that it is, metaphorically speaking, a hapax legomenon, which literally means, "something that is said once," but in this case, metaphorically speaking, a complete outlier alone on an island without any supporting material of any kind.

The case of Jesus is completely different. If in Jesus we saw something that totally did not fit the archaeological, linguistic, or historical context in any way, we could conclude quite comfortably that he was made up. The truth is quite the opposite, but it takes people who know something about these disciplines and take them seriously, as they are policed by their peers, over many generations, to build up a good case....

Where do we find ANYTHING concerning the Book of Mormon that comes ANYWHERE close? The Book of Mormon is OBVIOUSLY not ancient.

Where are the plates?
Where are other plates like them?
When have they been examined?
Where are the Reformed Egyptian texts on any other material?
Where is the evidence of ancient Christianity in the New World before the arrival of Spaniards?

Yes, it screams not ancient. If it is not ancient, then there is no Nephi. 99 to 1 odds or better that he never existed....

The Book of Mormon is not a text written in antiquity. Jesus is most (90/10 odds?) likely a person who really did live in the first half of the first century CE in ancient Palestine. Both of those things are abundantly clear.
Last edited by Lem on Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Someone asked why Jenkins didn't talk about UFOlogists; just to set the record straight, he did indeed talk about UFOlogists in this series, as a matter of fact, but that's a minor point. :D

In case anyone's interested, I just wanted to finish up by noting that Jenkins compiled a full list of his and Hamblin's blog entries and exchanges, with links, posted here:

http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/j/p ... bating.htm
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

UFOlogist? or UFOologist?
I see some of your points Reverend, but I steadfastly believe Jenkins did a stand up job in approaching and framing the scholarly assertions by Hamblin on the specific question of Book of Mormon historicity. I would love to see someone attempt to say what he said in a better, more respectful way than he did.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Dr Moore wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:37 pm
I see some of your points Reverend, but I steadfastly believe Jenkins did a stand up job in approaching and framing the scholarly assertions by Hamblin on the specific question of Book of Mormon historicity. I would love to see someone attempt to say what he said in a better, more respectful way than he did.
That is entirely beside the point.

ETA: I agree with you that Jenkins made every effort to be respectful. He deserves credit for that. This was really not the point that I was making, but I do agree with you.
Last edited by Kishkumen on Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Dr Moore wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:37 pm
I think the first one is correct, but what do I know? :lol: Maksutov mentioned Warren Aston a couple of times on the old board, and If I recall correctly referred to him as a UFOlogist, based on his several published books on the topic, so I'll defer to our friend Maks on this.

Regarding a more respectful manner, I see your comment was addressed to the Reverend, so I hope you won't mind an additional response. The debate between the two did get heated, and you have a point, in my opinion mostly because going back and reading after the fact, it's easy to see how the exchanges can be interpreted as off-putting, which may take away some of the weight of the arguments for some people. Given both sides were giving as good as they got, it seemed unavoidable that it would spiral. I do appreciate that Jenkins would every so often acknowledge that they were going at it, but in his mind it was over factual positions, and people's faith positions were not on the table for discussion, mockery or otherwise.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Lem wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:33 pm
Regarding a more respectful manner, I see your comment was addressed to the Reverend, so I hope you won't mind an additional response. The debate between the two did get heated, and you have a point, in my opinion mostly because going back and reading after the fact, it's easy to see how the exchanges can be interpreted as off-putting, which may take away some of the weight of the arguments for some people. Given both sides were giving as good as they got, it seemed unavoidable that it would spiral. I do appreciate that Jenkins would every so often acknowledge that they were going at it, but in his mind it was over factual positions, and people's faith positions were not on the table for discussion, mockery or otherwise.
Exactly. I can’t find the linked post(s), but at more than one juncture Jenkins pulled up to note that matters of faith were not on the table, and that if the basis for Hamblin’s belief in the Book of Mormon were spiritual only, that he respected the position and had no desire to counter. It is the very fact that Mormon apologists feel compelled to wade out into scholarship to justify their beliefs which openly invites criticism from outside (non LDS) scholars. Not merely risks criticism, but invites it.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

The best thing Hamblin could have done is to keep quiet. There is no worthwhile case to make for the ancient Book of Mormon. None. At the end of the day, I have to say it was exhilarating to see Jenkins tip Hamblin over. And I agree that FARMS invited this. It is kind of sad, but it is also incredibly fascinating.

In the 21st century there are PhD-bearing professors at a real university who argue that the Book of Mormon is an ancient text. If I hadn’t lived through it, I would almost find it unbelievable. It really is akin to the Institute of Big Foot Studies. My humility in this is that I completely bought into it for so many years of my life. It wasn’t until I started my MA in Comp Lit that the construct started to fall apart for me. By 1999 I really no longer saw the Book of Mormon as ancient. That was the first thing to go, and the Book of Mormon had been the foundation of my spiritual testimony.

The reason I was so excited and amazed to see Jenkins take down Hamblin was that although I knew pretty much everything Jenkins was saying beforehand, his ability to say what he said with that measure of balance was simply something I could not pull off. Of course, he is brilliant and yet he wears it lightly. But we are also still too tangled up in it psychologically to do what he did. It was pretty glorious.