Peterson ousted from the Deseret News

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
IHAQ
God

Peterson ousted from the Deseret News

Post by IHAQ »

Doctor Cam referenced this on another thread recently.
I’ve been writing regular newspaper columns for the Deseret News for roughly eleven years. Over several of those years, I was writing three columns every two weeks — a weekly solo column, called “Defending the Faith,” on Latter-day Saint issues, and a biweekly column (co-authored, until his shocking and too-early death at the end of 2019, with my friend Bill Hamblin) on world religions. (Links to most of the former, though not quite all, are gathered here. Links to most if not all of the latter are gathered here.)

Well, that’s all come to an end.

After a month of uncertainty occasioned by the transition of the Deseret News away from a principally printed format to an electronic one — a reflection of the turbulence and change happening in the world of print journalism more generally — I received word last night that my bi-weekly column on world religions no longer fits the design of the newspaper, meaning that my tenure as a columnist for the Deseret News is now finished. The “Mormon Times” section disappeared quite a while ago, and now the “Faith” section is gone. My LDS-oriented column had already been terminated somewhat more than a year ago, and now I’m done with the bi-weekly column on religions of the world.
I won’t deny that I’m saddened and disappointed by this development. The columns had come to be a fixture in my world. Part of my regular routine.
I’m still trying to decide what I’m going to do instead, how I’m going to use the time that regularly went to the Deseret News.
Here, in the meantime, is the last column that I submitted to the editor of the Deseret News. It was never published. As you will easily see, it was written before the inauguration of President Joe Biden; it was submitted on 8 January.
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... l-era.html

Mopologetics is an ever decreasing circle.
Dr Exiled
God

Re: Peterson ousted from the Deseret News

Post by Dr Exiled »

I wonder if the brethren have conducted any internal studies on how effective/ineffective Dr. P, Midgley, et al's brand of mopologetics really was/is? In my personal case, their empty responses sealed my decision to leave. The attack style doesn't work and is slowly being phased out.

One also wonders if plagiarism has anything to do with this ouster? Perhaps discovery of it some time ago set the wheels in motion, with the DN editors not wanting to bring attention to their lapse in judgment but still wanting to excise the cancer at some point?
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Gabriel
Deacon

Post by Gabriel »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:52 pm
I wonder if the brethren have conducted any internal studies on how effective/ineffective Dr. P, Midgley, et al's brand of mopologetics really was/is? In my personal case, their empty responses sealed my decision to leave. The attack style doesn't work and is slowly being phased out.
I have no doubt that you are right, but if that is indeed the brethren's conclusion, then it might behoove them to phase out This Is The Show, sooner rather than later.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Well that's too bad. It did feel like his articles were something no one paid much attention to but amounted to attempts to get the regular folks interested in apologetics. The negative here is Peterson is aware of the important matters and even if framed from a defensive standpoint, at least important topics were mentioned. But again it seemed like a buried piece that few noticed anyway, and those who did were adamantly behind Peterson's apologetic, or are generally critical of his apologetic positioning.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:52 pm

One also wonders if plagiarism has anything to do with this ouster? Perhaps discovery of it some time ago set the wheels in motion, with the DN editors not wanting to bring attention to their lapse in judgment but still wanting to excise the cancer at some point?
The repeated plagiarism had to eventually be addressed, doing it at a break, before the paper got directly dragged into the issue, was a smart decision.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Hi Mr. Peterson,

Thanks for stopping by to get your daily dose of truth. Please feel free to answer on your blog, as you are wont to do, this question. Did the Deseret News address your plagiarisms that were published in their paper?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:05 pm
Hi Mr. Peterson,

Thanks for stopping by to get your daily dose of truth. Please feel free to answer on your blog, as you are wont to do, this question. Did the Deseret News address your plagiarisms that were published in their paper?

- Doc
Well, he has worked very hard to avoid the plagiarism issue:
The Church, they say, is embarrassed and repulsed by my mendacity, depravity, and sheer viciousness. And, so, I’m being suppressed. (I’m also, it’s been suggested, being forced into early retirement from Brigham Young University, effective this coming 1 July. After all, who ever heard of anybody retiring, in order to pursue other interests, at the young age of 68?). How much longer will it be, they ask, before the hammer of the General Authorities’ wrath falls upon the Interpreter Foundation?

Well, that’s an excellent question. Keep watching!

In the meantime, though, I want to suggest some alternative or supplemental reasons for the end of my Deseret News columns, reasons that, based upon my many years of experience with this particular tiny coven of critics, seem likely to appeal very powerfully to them:
•The editorial leadership of the Deseret News was intimidated into its decision by the positioning of one or more of the Rothschild family’s Jewish space lasers high above its offices in Salt Lake City.
•The injection of microscopic space aliens into their arms during “vaccination” against the fake-news COVID scamdemic has affected their decision-making.
•It’s part of a larger overall plot — including, for instance, but not limited to the hatching of a phony “pandemic,” the consequent suspension or scaling back of sacrament meetings, the closure of temples worldwide — in order to restrict my contacts with other Latter-day Saints and my capacity to reach them.
•The editors are taking their orders from George Soros or the Koch Brothers or the Learned Elders of Zion or the Illuminati or little devices implanted in the backs of their necks or the late Venezuelan dictator Hugo Chavez or some combination or other of the foregoing. Or from somebody else, yet to be identified, who likes to sit in a massive, metallic, brightly lit complex somewhere at the bottom of the ocean, wearing a monocle and a grey Nehru jacket. Or in his lair high in the Alps. Stroking a white cat.

Other suggestions as to possible reasons for the end of my Deseret News column will be welcomed.
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... moses.html
You'll note, however, not a single comment about whether his plagiarism became an issue. I'm guessing he is terrified of opening that door.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Lem wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:18 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:05 pm
Hi Mr. Peterson,

- Doc
Well, he has worked very hard to avoid the plagiarism issue:
The Church, they say, is embarrassed and repulsed by my mendacity, depravity, and sheer viciousness. And, so, I’m being suppressed. (I’m also, it’s been suggested, being forced into early retirement from Brigham Young University, effective this coming 1 July. After all, who ever heard of anybody retiring, in order to pursue other interests, at the young age of 68?). How much longer will it be, they ask, before the hammer of the General Authorities’ wrath falls upon the Interpreter Foundation?

Well, that’s an excellent question. Keep watching!

In the meantime, though, I want to suggest some alternative or supplemental reasons for the end of my Deseret News columns, reasons that, based upon my many years of experience with this particular tiny coven of critics, seem likely to appeal very powerfully to them:
•The editorial leadership of the Deseret News was intimidated into its decision by the positioning of one or more of the Rothschild family’s Jewish space lasers high above its offices in Salt Lake City.
•The injection of microscopic space aliens into their arms during “vaccination” against the fake-news COVID scamdemic has affected their decision-making.
•It’s part of a larger overall plot — including, for instance, but not limited to the hatching of a phony “pandemic,” the consequent suspension or scaling back of sacrament meetings, the closure of temples worldwide — in order to restrict my contacts with other Latter-day Saints and my capacity to reach them.
•The editors are taking their orders from George Soros or the Koch Brothers or the Learned Elders of Zion or the Illuminati or little devices implanted in the backs of their necks or the late Venezuelan dictator Hugo Chavez or some combination or other of the foregoing. Or from somebody else, yet to be identified, who likes to sit in a massive, metallic, brightly lit complex somewhere at the bottom of the ocean, wearing a monocle and a grey Nehru jacket. Or in his lair high in the Alps. Stroking a white cat.

Other suggestions as to possible reasons for the end of my Deseret News column will be welcomed.
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... moses.html
You'll note, however, not a single comment about whether his plagiarism became an issue. I'm guessing he is terrified of opening that door.
He usually responds like he did in the above when he has things to hide and he wants to deflect and not have to be serious about the serious problems his materials cause. He mocks mockerly in order to not have to actually discuss the issue. It's ok, it's his life....
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

I’m sure it was a decision based on page clicks and ad impressions. If I read correctly, a whole segment of the online paper went away. No reason to think the move was based on more than that, is there?
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Dr Moore wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:24 am
I’m sure it was a decision based on page clicks and ad impressions. If I read correctly, a whole segment of the online paper went away. No reason to think the move was based on more than that, is there?
This seems to me to be realistic. I mean, who honestly reads anything of apologetics anymore these days?