Peterson ousted from the Deseret News

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Peterson ousted from the Deseret News

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

IHAQ wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:29 am
Lem wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:09 am
You'll notice he doesn't joke about being accused of plagiarism. The facts on that are not subjective, like maybe some other issues could be. He used to justify his plagiarism, but after being caught the 5th or 6th time, he stopped referring to it at all. Now, he won't even reference it. That tells me he has no defense. Rather than have a scandal where they have to retract, DN might prefer to just quietly let him go.
It will be interesting to see how long Peterson's DN articles that contain plagiarism are accessible to readers via their website.
In a funny bit of, I don't even know what to call this, Plagiarizin' Peterson was plagiarized by someone on a survivalist board (you can read the whole plagiarism by following the links, I'm just pasting the front end of it):

https://www.deseret.com/2010/9/16/20141 ... ly-trinity
The impressive testimony of the Three Witnesses to the Book of Mormon, published in the book since 1830, concludes by ascribing...
https://www.survivalistboards.com/threa ... 594/page-2
The impressive testimony of the Three Witnesses to the Book of Mormon, published in the book since 1830, concludes by ascribing...
The user "Mullenite" was banned from the board, but how funny would it be that the user was actually DCP? Lol.

Whatever the case may be if you look at this source:

https://iep.utm.edu/trinity/

You'll find the the material for the DN article written above. Use the key words "distinct centers of consciousness" and you'll see it. I don't really care that he borrows heavily from other sites when composing a piece, but he should source his material.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Just read some of the latest comments over at sic et non. https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... qus_thread

I think I finally realized why Dr. P was let go from the DN: too much monotony. Here is an example of what the recurring conversation usually is:

Dr. P makes a religious claim.
Gemli properly asks for evidence.
Dr. P accuses Gemli of being part of a dogmatic atheist religion because Dr. P has no evidence or good response.
Gemli patiently then corrects him pointing out that atheism is the null hypothesis, not a religion, and it is the religious claimant that has the burden and that the religious claimant never has any good evidence.
Dr. P repeats the accusation of atheists being dogmatists (probably in monotone)
Midge then chimes in asking questions, trying to find out information for his next stalking adventure/church CIA file.

Rinse and repeat.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:31 pm
....Midge then chimes in asking questions, trying to find out information for his next stalking adventure/church CIA file.

Rinse and repeat.
:lol: And if he fails to snoop out any information, he just makes it up...
Louis Midgley Sam LeFevre 4 days ago

....However, I will now call attention to our gemli, our Village Atheist. In this particular blog entry, Dan has tossed out some red meat. and gemli, has not yet stated to opine up an atheist storm. Should he not gemli have not again announced again that even clever people who have real academic credentials and who publish extensively can be and often are wrong on some things. And without also mentioning the fact that on a host of questions those who have no academic credentials are much more likely to be wrong about a host of things both scientific and historical.

....gemli knows little or no real history, which he dismisses for his own ideological purposes--put bluntly gemli detests history. In addition, gemli does not seem to have actually done any real science, nor has he taught any actual science anywhere ever.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Notwithstanding Lou's inability to properly use the written word when he is frothing at the mouth, even a casual reader of gemli's posts knows that the majority of that is nowhere near true. But, when fighting the excluded and roundly hated enemy, who must be lesser than his religious cohort in every way, Midgley has never let truth stand in the way. :roll:
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

I can report that the "Faith" section of the Deseret News website is alive and well and has had new (non-Church-Newsy) submissions every day for the last week. Rumours of its demise seem greatly exaggerated...
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

IHAQ wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:10 pm
I can report that the "Faith" section of the Deseret News website is alive and well and has had new (non-Church-Newsy) submissions every day for the last week. Rumours of its demise seem greatly exaggerated...
Yep, it appears the church is finally (it's always at least 20 years behind the times isn't it?) recognizing it needs to take steps to eradicate the hate which apologetics is soaked in. Yet, their own founding prophet started it all, so that is, ultimately, their legacy, one which they will always have to own, and in perhaps milder ways always promote, since it in all silliness claims it really is the actual only ONE TRUE way to God. It also loves to imagine that it is the only singular accurate and true way to deify man, than which nothing is further than the truth. Many many internally coherent esoteric systems teach this magnificent doctrine, not just uniquely Mormonism. With its own emphasis and deliberate ignoring of all else except its own doctrines, however, there are seriously precious very, very, VERY few actual Mormons in their audience who even knows other systems exist because the church has never even mentioned them, let alone understood them. they have no broad context in other words. I know off the top of my head of several such beautiful systems that really work. And, of course, begin sharing such light and all the sudden one is a wicked apostate. Their cheap pop psychology attempting to maintain control [WHY is that even a worry if Jesus is actually running the show?!] is pathetic. Such utter silliness!
Meadowchik
Priest

Post by Meadowchik »

IHAQ wrote:
It's probably because like the regular Joes, the Church has had to suffer financial hardships of its own due to the pandemic. They just can't afford to pay someone to write for the Faith section.

/s
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Meadowchik wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:34 pm
IHAQ wrote:
It's probably because like the regular Joes, the Church has had to suffer financial hardships of its own due to the pandemic. They just can't afford to pay someone to write for the Faith section.

/s
If only they could convince their own to do all the work for them so they can continue making money, the most important thing... after all $6,000,000,000 annual is truly a pathetic figure by any measure. They can't possibly function as Jesus's church with such meager funds. Too bad Jesus can't show up and give em a helping hand so the church can be seen as the light of the world from Jesus as he was hoping. His disappointment probably knows no bounds.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

The "oustee" of the OP has provided a public update to his situation on this topic.
Finally, I’m happy to report that I’ve accepted an invitation to write a column (bi-weekly or, anyway, as bi-weekly as I choose to make it) for Meridian Magazine. It will start when I start it.
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... alism.html
I'm sure the proprietors of Meridian Magazine are delighted to have been put in their place so early on and so publicly by a new contributor. It's a bizarre and childish outburst by someone who claims to have been devastated to have his publishing routine disturbed by his ouster from the Deseret News.
I won’t deny that I’m saddened and disappointed by this development. The columns had come to be a fixture in my world. Part of my regular routine.
I’m still trying to decide what I’m going to do instead, how I’m going to use the time that regularly went to the Deseret News.
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... l-era.html

Shouldn't his comment have been about his excitement about being able to get back to one of the stated fixtures of his world? That he can, without further ado, get back to his regular routine that he was "saddened" and "disappointed" to have disrupted? Shouldn't he be saying he's raring to go as soon as possible with articles he had lined up ready to go for Deseret News? Why the snarky childish "I'll start it when I decide to start it"?

Is Peterson now calling the shots at Meridian Magazine? Or is he just trying to cover up his embarrassment that he will now be publishing in a "magazine" that has a somewhat limited distribution?
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

IHAQ wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:59 pm
The "oustee" of the OP has provided a public update to his situation on this topic.
Finally, I’m happy to report that I’ve accepted an invitation to write a column (bi-weekly or, anyway, as bi-weekly as I choose to make it) for Meridian Magazine. It will start when I start it.
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... alism.html
I'm sure the proprietors of Meridian Magazine are delighted to have been put in their place so early on and so publicly by a new contributor. It's a bizarre and childish outburst by someone who claims to have been devastated to have his publishing routine disturbed by his ouster from the Deseret News.
I won’t deny that I’m saddened and disappointed by this development. The columns had come to be a fixture in my world. Part of my regular routine.
I’m still trying to decide what I’m going to do instead, how I’m going to use the time that regularly went to the Deseret News.
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... l-era.html

Shouldn't his comment have been about his excitement about being able to get back to one of the stated fixtures of his world? That he can, without further ado, get back to his regular routine that he was "saddened" and "disappointed" to have disrupted? Shouldn't he be saying he's raring to go as soon as possible with articles he had lined up ready to go for Deseret News? Why the snarky childish "I'll start it when I decide to start it"?

Is Peterson now calling the shots at Meridian Magazine? Or is he just trying to cover up his embarrassment that he will now be publishing in a "magazine" that has a somewhat limited distribution?
Within mere minutes of me posting the above, the following appeared over on Sic Et Non...
Yesterday, I posted the following little note in a blog entry:
“Finally, I’m happy to report that I’ve accepted an invitation to write a column (bi-weekly or, anyway, as bi-weekly as I choose to make it) for Meridian Magazine. It will start when I start it.”
I’m being attacked for it, at the usual place. Quelle surprise!
It was, apparently, an arrogant, bizarre, and childish outburst.
Here’s what happened: The editors at Meridian asked me to write a regular column for them. I agreed to do so. And I asked when they wanted me to start. (I’m going through an uuusually busy two weeks just now.). Whenever you’re ready, they responded, asking me simply to tell them when I intended to begin, so that they could adjust their internal scheduling accordingly. Hence my comment that “It will start when I start it.”
This is a minor and trivial example of precisely the continual and seemingly reflexive demonizing of The Enemy that I so lament in today’s discourse.
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... qus_thread

His comments "It will start when I start it" and "as I choose to make it" carry a completely different tone and connotation to the way the situation actually played out as explained in Peterson's follow up post quoted immediately above.

Perhaps he should explain himself better in future...or was he posting in that style deliberately in an attempt to draw lightning so that he can play his favourite role...The Victim...Dan, perhaps when you mention something that's been written here you can provide your blog congregants with a link so they can come and read it for themselves in context?
This is a minor and trivial example of precisely the continual and seemingly reflexive demonizing of The Enemy that I so lament in today’s discourse.
I guess we won't be seeing Dan demonising as The Enemy any more (modest) donors, family members, malevolent stalkers, convenient emailers, discussion boards etc any time soon, as he laments it so much.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Every time Daniel C. Peterson lurks on this board:

Which would be at least half a dozen times a day.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.