Hanna Seariac Debuts in "Interpreter"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Hanna Seariac Debuts in "Interpreter"

Post by Doctor Scratch »

My goodness, I really have to hand it to "Interpreter." It's like somebody has lit a fire under their asses or something, because they have really been on a hot streak lately. (Perhaps "fear of the hammer" has served to "motivate them," as Darth Vader once put it?) First we get John Gee's two articles attacking the JSPP (a clear case of insubordination on Gee's part); then we get this bizarre piece dealing with "inclusiveness," which the Mopologists clearly don't believe. And, now, as if things couldn't possibly get any better, here they drop an article from the 2020 Sampson Avard Award-winner, Hanna Seariac.

Seariac, of course, gained notoriety and even a bit of press coverage thanks to her work circulating a petition to get "Liberal" professors tossed out of BYU (or at least "censured" in some way). She is--without question--one of the most exciting new elements in Mopologetics. Completely apart from her perhaps misguided political activism, she's also aligned herself very strongly with old-school, FARMS-style apologetics, even going to far as saying that she wants to be an apologist. So, of course, there was a relationship with FAIRMormon, and her "exclusive" interview with John Gee, who openly condescended to her on the program.

But it's been awkward from the start. The Mopologists have a terrible track record in terms of gender diversity. Wasn't that the whole point behind the award that they later withdrew--the "Interpreter" essay prize, meant to lure female scholars "into the mix"? And yet, now here's Hanna Seariac, upbeat and energetic and willing to join "The Crew"? What will she make of their crotchety ways of doing things? What will she think of Dr. Midgley's demented fantasies about undergraduates having sex in the BYU library bathroom? What I'm trying to say is: Can there truly be a place for Seariac in Mopologetics?

Frankly, I think she was a better fit with FAIR Mormon, but the appearance of her article in the latest "dropping" from Interpreter is significant--possibly a watershed moment. I mean, there is a lot at stake here for the Mopologists. They just published this obviously baloney article on "inclusiveness," and as if attempting to dole out a "one-two punch," now they've got this article by a female author? An "up-and-comer," no less? Think about what's at stake for them here. If they blow this with her, then they are losing on two fronts. First, they have basically lost the youth. If Rappleye and Smoot are all you've got, what does that bode for the future? Secondly, their track record vis-a-vis things like Feminism and gender equity are pretty abysmal. Just check out Tom's quarterly recap of the "Interpreter's" finances: you'll see plain as day the huge discrepancies in terms of gender and "Interpreter." So, she's the one who's going to help prove to everyone that they're not the sort of stodgy dinosaurs that some critics have accused them of being. (Like the "new" MI.)

So, you have to wonder what's going on. Is there some kind of seismic shift happening behind the scenes? Like, some kind of backlash against Trump-aligning Conservatives? Jumping on board with "Liberal" ideology? Well, okay: perhaps I'm exaggerating a bit here. Seariac, after all, *was* embracing some pretty radical ideas. Silencing one's critics and having them lose their jobs and be publicly humiliated is right in line with the sort of things that the Mopologists want.

Whatever the case may be, Seariac's article is fascinating. Here we have a piece in "Interpreter" that argues for supporting polygamy. It's easy enough to see why the men overseeing the editorial process would have nodded approvingly at this. (Wyatt, you dog!) But what's Seariac's "Faustian bargain" here? Tough to say, but this could be one clue:
Seariac wrote:McBaine frames the discussion of plural marriage by describing how people outside of the Latter-day Saint community disliked plural marriage and saw it as a contradiction to women’s rights. I understand why McBaine would choose to frame this discussion as such, but I diverge from her here in methodology. Naturally, one would have to point out the ways those on the outside saw plural marriage, but I think a more effective framing could be to show the parallels between women’s reasoning for entering marriage and women’s reasoning for wanting suffrage. Both come down to agency.
I suppose a question one might ask here is what role the Priesthood might have played in the whole thing. Still, looking at this from the Mopologists' perspective, it's not hard to see why they jumped on board with this sort of thing. Later, though, things get even weirder:
Seariac wrote:Here McBaine provides the first serious discussion of elements of feminism impacting the suffrage movement, but does not flesh them out. As this unique Latter-day Saint doctrine was taught but perhaps not completely understood, it feels important to the rest of the book. Heavenly Mother provides a concrete foundation for understanding Latter-day Saint feminism and proves itself as one of the necessary elements to have interwoven throughout the narrative rather than in one solitary place. While not much is known about Heavenly Mother, the existence of a co-deity with Heavenly Father clearly illustrates a reason Latter-day Saint women in particular, who focus so much on agency, would see themselves as deserving of autonomy.
Whoa! The Mopologists are tolerating this sort of thing in their flagship publication? I'm sure that those who remember the September 6 can remember that some of those folks were allegedly excommunicated for writing about Heavenly Mother! And yet here is Seariac, openly writing about how Heavenly Mother is a powerful feminist theological concept? What's going on here? I can only imagine the insults and profanity that were hurled via Zoom around the editorial table as this article was "hashed out." Did Ralph "The Doink" Hancock rupture a vein reading this thing?

Or, it may just be that Seariac is very, very clever. She strikes me as someone who is simultaneously interested in attention, and being liked: something that the President of the Interpreter Foundation doubtless understands. Well, the attention part, anyways--and that's where I think the similarities break down. A very pressing question here is: Will Seariac be satisfied by the attention from the Mopologists, which will doubtless be short-lived, particularly given what she's writing about? I remember a former editorial assistant "going rogue" on Interpreter and spilling the beans on ex-Mo reddit or some place about how peer review at "Interpreter" was a sham. Now, though, the stakes have been raised considerably, because if Seariac "turns" on them, they could be in for a really rough time.

A fascinating development, in any case. Kudos to Seariac for this step forward in her ambitions.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Lem
God

Re: Hanna Seariac Debuts in "Interpreter"

Post by Lem »

Seariac wrote: ...McBaine accurately portrays the aversion to polygamy, but she could have spent more time describing why and how Latter-day Saint women found polygamy empowering....
"empowering"? Is this the the new apologetic?

:roll: :roll: it's much more likely the author read dozens and dozens of journal entries where lds women did NOT find polygamy empowering.
Gabriel
Deacon

Post by Gabriel »

Lem wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:42 am
Seariac wrote: ...McBaine accurately portrays the aversion to polygamy, but she could have spent more time describing why and how Latter-day Saint women found polygamy empowering....

:roll: :roll: it's much more likely the author read dozens and dozens of journal entries where lds women did NOT find polygamy empowering.
Indeed, that was the very first sentence that jumped off the page when I read the abstract. I was so surprised that Dr. Scratch didn't include it with the others that I thought that the editors might have struck it out a little after the article was first posted today, so I checked again. Yup, "Empowering".

Oh well, she's young. She has her whole life ahead of her. If she wants to party like it's 1899, then far be it from me to be a buzz kill.

I read Sir Richard Francis Burton's City of the Saints last week, and he (who was no prude in sexual matters) was nevertheless taken aback that Heber C. Kimball would publicly refer to his own younger wives as "heifers".
Last edited by Gabriel on Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Perhaps ‘alt-Mopologist’ is where she’s headed with this. There seems to be a sort of Nu Conservative Feminism growing on the intertubes where women feel feminism has failed them, and they were more liberated in the role of tradcon homemaker because they had time to actually pursue whatever instead of busting their asses for some corporate taskmaster.

If you read between the lines this seems to be where she’s headed.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:21 am
Lem wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:42 am

Indeed, that was the very first sentence that jumped off the page when I read the abstract. I was so surprised that Dr. Scratch didn't include it with the others that I thought that the editors might have struck it out a little after the article was first posted today, so I checked again. Yup, "Empowering".
Well, I *did* say that I assumed there were clear reasons why the editors published this piece.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Hanna was right to point out that polygamy was the chief tenet of the LDS religion. The Saints called it, "The Principle". It is currently mothballed until the United States becomes more accepting of its existence or the Kingdom of Deseret springs from its ashes (DezNat prophecy).

Hanna's publication marks a unification of the Interpreter with DezNat. Perhaps Kwaku El will also appear in that prestigious journal at some future date. It could help bring in the youth readership.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Dr. Scratch wrote: I mean, there is a lot at stake here for the Mopologists. They just published this obviously baloney article on "inclusiveness," and as if attempting to dole out a "one-two punch," now they've got this article by a female author? An "up-and-comer," no less? Think about what's at stake for them here.
It's fascinating to say the least. On the one hand, it might just be that Interpreter is getting more people involved who have some kind of notoriety within their respective Mormon community, to broaden the readership and in turn, broaden the $$$funding$$$ that can go to feature-length films and the various entities set up under that umbrella. Diversifying has the benefit of a larger readership, but don't give up on controversy, as that attracts viewers also. Even better, diversifying controversial opinions could work so that they could claim no bias. As a profit-maximizing strategy, this could be a good one.

But maybe rather than profits, there is an ideological twist to these articles? Let's face it, a lot of folks wedded to Mopologetics don't really care about money, they care about being right. They care about dealing with the enemy. If that's what's going on, my hunch is that it could be alt-right forces at work. If I'm right, then articles like "inclusivity" are put in to throw readers off the scent. You know how it goes, you say something favorable toward the enemy in order to bolster credibility and then Bam! out comes the big right hook.
Seariac, after all, *was* embracing some pretty radical ideas. Silencing one's critics and having them lose their jobs and be publicly humiliated is right in line with the sort of things that the Mopologists want.
Exactly: the previous article was political currency to pay for publishing of *this* article. If the interest of the majority is to radicalize, then this article works in that direction.
Whoa! The Mopologists are tolerating this sort of thing in their flagship publication?
I think we saw the same sort of thing last year, didn't we? There is a kind of alt-right feminism that right-leaning male apologists should be okay with. Women who are tough, who support the proclamation of the family and raise "stripling warriors" who defend the borders against foreigners, and draw straight lines around gender.
Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

I agree with you that this goes far beyond money, Dr. Robbers. I think this comment is especially prescient:
The Dean wrote:a lot of folks wedded to Mopologetics don't really care about money, they care about being right. They care about dealing with the enemy. If that's what's going on, my hunch is that it could be alt-right forces at work. If I'm right, then articles like "inclusivity" are put in to throw readers off the scent. You know how it goes, you say something favorable toward the enemy in order to bolster credibility
When viewed in this way, you can see that the stakes extend clear into the realm of the theological. I doubt that there is a higher or more noble calling for a Mopologist than throwing away your eternal salvation in defense of the Church. I mean, these guys are actually willing to go after the Brethren. Remember Midgley's chillingly cold remarks about Elder Mark E. Petersen--how they were sitting around waiting for him to die so that they could trot out the LGT? In any case, it seems incredibly risky to be biting off the hands of the guys who hold the keys to Added Upon. Then again, if your idea of heaven is cribbed from some third-rate, bush-league novella, then you are probably dumb and gullible enough to believe pretty much anything.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

So long as Seariac supports the patriarchy by lauding the virtues of polygamy as liberating for women and her comments on Heavenly Mother steer clear of women’s priesthood or the Mother being the recipient of prayer, everything will be just peachy for her. It is what Seariac doesn’t say that we must pay attention to here. Merely referring to feminism and Heavenly Mother do not make her threatening to the patriarchy. Conservative feminism, wherein women are liberated from liberal constraints and free to be subservient homemakers is actually a thing, and Seariac’s Heavenly Mother can be their icon.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:33 am
So long as Seariac supports the patriarchy by lauding the virtues of polygamy as liberating for women and her comments on Heavenly Mother steer clear of women’s priesthood or the Mother being the recipient of prayer, everything will be just peachy for her. It is what Seariac doesn’t say that we must pay attention to here. Merely referring to feminism and Heavenly Mother do not make her threatening to the patriarchy. Conservative feminism, wherein women are liberated from liberal constraints and free to be subservient homemakers is actually a thing, and Seariac’s Heavenly Mother can be their icon.
Yes, giving lip service to the dames to keep em in line. Oh if the dames only really knew the power of woman. They would so get up in arms and MARCH to the COB and attack it like they saw idiots doing to the White House a little over a month ago.

I see this as one reason the church just will not talk outside their own parameters, since that causes them (in their tribal eyes) to lose power. Hence all others' light is false light whilst only their own "sanctioned" (by the dudes n gents, of course) is the only "true" light God ever gives. Such tribalistic short-sightedness....sigh. But then when yer makin a mere $6,000,000,000 per quarter year, who gives a flyin flip about truth and right? We got the dough baby! LDSism forever! And thus they cement their own myopic tribalism for yet another decade... But the heavens keep on chuggin out light to all, and in the long run.... their mere flashlight of wealth will eventually die out since they never changed the batteries to the upgrades heaven offers.
My holy gadfry am I full of metaphors this morning or what?! :D I am quite serious in what I am saying however.