A Google Search of the Modern Day Prophets

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Gabriel
Deacon

A Google Search of the Modern Day Prophets

Post by Gabriel »

I was doing a google search on Heber J. Grant to see if I could find a quote from him as regards Japan (ie. that the Japanese would flock to the church in such numbers as to astound the world in the years to come). At any rate, I couldn't find it. I just thought it odd that when I googled "Heber J. Grant", his name came up with the sub-heading "Political Leader" (rather than 6th President of TCOJCOLDS). So I searched the names of all the prophets online to see how they are characterized in Google. This is what I found:

Russell M. Nelson
President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Thomas S. Monson
American Religious Leader

Gordon B. Hinckley

Howard W. Hunter
American Lawyer

Ezra Taft Benson
American Farmer

Spencer W. Kimball
Business Person

Harold B. Lee
(no further identifying description)

Joseph Fielding Smith
American Writer

David O. McKay
American Educator

George Albert Smith

Heber J. Grant
Political Leader

Lorenzo Snow
Political Leader

Wilford Woodruff

John Taylor
Mormon

Brigham Young

Joseph Smith

I am sure that I am not the only one to see a curious pattern here: Ezra Taft Benson: American Farmer?!! Spencer W. Kimball: Business Person?!!
Last edited by Gabriel on Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: A Google Search of the Modern Day Prophets

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Wow. That's a great find. Anyone know how we can check to see who maintains and edits wiki entries for these folks?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Gabriel
Deacon

Post by Gabriel »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:54 pm
Wow. That's a great find. Anyone know how we can check to see who maintains and edits wiki entries for these folks?

- Doc
I just googled Dallin Oaks:

Dallin H. Oaks
American Jurist
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Gabriel wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:18 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:54 pm

- Doc
I just googled Dallin Oaks:

Dallin H. Oaks
American Jurist
This might be a possible demonstration that they see themselves as the world's prophets, but the world certainly doesn't see much prophetic in them... I wonder what they can do to change that perception? Then again, they DO want to be seen as mainstream, so they probably have no legitimate complaint if they are taken as just more of the same, screeching religious people, because they are choosing to be just that, perfectly normal instead of peculiar. There is a price to pay for attempting to mollify the world in order to gain its riches.
Gabriel
Deacon

Post by Gabriel »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:39 pm
This might be a possible demonstration that they see themselves as the world's prophets, but the world certainly doesn't see much prophetic in them... I wonder what they can do to change that perception? Then again, they DO want to be seen as mainstream, so they probably have no legitimate complaint if they are taken as just more of the same, screeching religious people, because they are choosing to be just that, perfectly normal instead of peculiar. There is a price to pay for attempting to mollify the world in order to gain its riches.
You're right, Philo. It seems that they don't even wish to appear as religious people: 'Screeching' or otherwise. Rather than ruffle feathers by being hot or cold, they've all opted for what lies behind door number 3.

I just googled the following with these results:

Dieter F. Uchtdorf
German aviator

Jeffrey R. Holland
American educator

Henry B. Eyring
American author

Quentin L. Cook
American lawyer

David A. Bednar
(no further identifiers)

D. Todd Christofferson
American lawyer

Ulisses Soares
Brazilian businessman

M. Russell Ballard
American businessman

Gerrit W. Gong
Author

Gary E. Stevenson
American businessman
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Anyone can edit Wikipedia (assuming that is where you found these entries) - give it a try and see what happens ...
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Gabriel
Deacon

Post by Gabriel »

Chap wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:33 pm
Anyone can edit Wikipedia (assuming that is where you found these entries) - give it a try and see what happens ...
I hear you, Chap. Obviously, Wikipedia is a free-for-all (like the Gunfight at the OK Corral). However, I was referring to the "Knowledge Panel" which Google provides on the right side of the searched results.

For example, if you do a search on Dieter Uchtdorf you get about 1,420,000 results. But Google provides a summarizing "Knowledge Panel" on the upper right side of the page, with some photos and the caption:

Dieter F. Uchtdorf
German aviator

Although the knowledge panel provides a link to his Wikipedia article (along with a link to his books, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, etc.), one can't just unilaterally make edits to the panel itself (or I don't think so, anyway). If the description "German aviator" is perhaps not the first thing that one would think of as regards all things Dieter, one has the option to provide feedback to suggest a more apt description. Nevertheless, it's not my circus, not my monkeys. More power to Dieter for being a German aviator. I would never wish to take that away from him.
Gabriel
Deacon

Post by Gabriel »

I tried to see if just anyone can change the information on the Google "Knowledge Panel" for Dieter F. Uchtdorf - German aviator. It appears that the only one who can do this is the one who has access to Dieter's Twitter account:

The following is the screen you have to maneuver through to make changes:

Verify that you represent Dieter F. Uchtdorf
Sign in to one official site/profile below

Twitter · @uchtdorfdf