New Book Honoring Midgley

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
hauslern
1st Counselor

New Book Honoring Midgley

Post by hauslern »

Dan Petersen announces -
"I’m pleased to announce that I’m now in possession of a number of copies of a Festschrift in honor of Professor Louis C. Midgley, a volume that we expect to become more generally available sometime during the month of March (when we will also make a COVID-compliant formal presentation). It was compiled by friends and former colleagues and students of Professor Midgley as a token of the great affection and esteem in which we hold him. You can get some sense of its contents here:"
The contents:-
https://ebornbooks.com/shop/non-fiction ... 609199913/
Louis Midgley: His Children’s Perspective, Sara Midgley Cope
Appreciating Lou Midgley: A Seminar in Spring Semester 1970, C. Randall Paul
The Ballad of Lou the Mean, William Hamblin
The Theoretical Implications of Aristotle’s Critique of the Best Regimes of the Past, Thomas L. Pangle
Thomas Hobbes’s “A Discourse of Laws,” Noel B. Reynolds
Paul Ricoeur on Scripture, James E. Faulconer
The Problem of Socrates and the First Question of Philosophy, Ted Vaggalis
The Book of Mormon as a Resurrected Book and a Type of Christ, George L. Mitton
Memory and Identity in the Book of Mormon, Steven L. Olsen
Moroni’s Courage: Cultural Devastation, Radical Hope, and the Book of Mormon, Gregory L. Smith
Revisiting Remembrance, Gary F. Novak
Exposing Book of Mormon Plagiarism: A Proposed Solution to the Book’s Authorship, John E. Clark
Isaac Russell and the 1912-1913 Book of Abraham Controversy, Matthew Roper
The Suppression of the Joseph Smith Papryri, John Gee
Architectural Patterns of the Sacred: The Panchayatana Style and Quincunx Design, Stephen D. Ricks and Shirley S. Ricks
A Familiar Eternity, Ralph C. Hancock
The Lord Will Not Forget Them! Maori Seers and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Nineteenth-Century New Zealand, Robert Joseph
It’s Hard to Doubt His Sincerity, Daniel C. Peterson
An Essay on the One True Morality and the Principle of Freedom, Alan Don Sorensen
Notice and Value, Kevin Christensen
Separated but Not Divorced: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Its Uncomfortable Relationship with Its Polygamous Past, Craig L. Foster
Midley Family Photographs
Selected Bibliography of Louis C. Midgley’s Publications (1960-2019).

I would be very interested in Gee's paper.
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Re: New Book Honoring Midgley

Post by Bret Ripley »

hauslern wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:22 pm
The Suppression of the Joseph Smith Papryri, John Gee

I would be very interested in Gee's paper.
Yeah, that could be a wild ride.

I'll admit to being petty enough to get a chuckle out of the title of Peterson's contribution -- 'It's Hard to Doubt His Sincerity' -- which can be read as a placeholder for 'At Least He Tried: the Art of Damning with Faint Praise.'
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Midley [sic] Family Photographs
Of course it’s Bill Hamblin delighting in Lou’s life work of being crappy. And, lol, they published this having misspelled Lou’s surname. You’re welcome Mr. Peterson, for doing the job an editor should’ve done.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:00 pm
Of course it’s Bill Hamblin delighting in Lou’s life work of being crappy. And, lol, they published this having misspelled Lou’s surname. You’re welcome Mr. Peterson, for doing the job an editor should’ve done.

- Doc
Ha ha ha! Even when they're slathering each other's asses they can't seem to get it right! ROFLOL!!!
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:00 pm
And, lol, they published this having misspelled Lou’s surname. You’re welcome Mr. Peterson, for doing the job an editor should’ve done.

- Doc

:lol:

That's on par with The Church of Jezus Christ of Latter-day Saints. But at least they capitalized "The" in both cases the Church was named in the description of contents. But I wonder how many times in the actual book that isn't the case?
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Louis Midgley gemli 14 minutes ago

It has been 20 hours and gemli has apparently has not noticed Remembrance and Return. One can be certain that gemli, and confident that Noel Hauslaer, and DK4L, who come to sic et non only to sneer at the faith of Latter-day Saints, will never be invited to contribute to any volume of scholarship. In addition, it is likely that none of them know much of anything about the topics addressed in this collection of essays.
:lol: has the thought never crossed lou-lou's mind that gemli may have no interest in a self-published fake book about the midge? And of course, Lou has managed, yet again, to disparage others by stating things of which he has NO WAY of knowing the truth. It's helpful to see Midge's rantings though, just more evidence of the very, very inappropriate behavior so many of us still have to deal with.

Peterson's recent Interpreter article goes to some length trying to justify how 'not being offensive' doesn't mean mopologists can't be offensive. Lou-lou is the epitome of this stance.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:21 pm
I'll admit to being petty enough to get a chuckle out of the title of Peterson's contribution -- 'It's Hard to Doubt His Sincerity' -- which can be read as a placeholder for 'At Least He Tried: the Art of Damning with Faint Praise.'
Ha!
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Wow, that's giving himself a double pat on his own back. First, drawing attention to his own greatness for a book getting written about himself, and second, he assumes the book, that's about himself, defines scholarly standards and that anybody who disagrees with him wouldn't be able to perform at the level to get published in that book.

what a loser.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

This looks like a fun read. Some lighthearted fare, to be sure, but other things that I would be genuinely interested in reading for more serious reasons.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

I hope they do a sequel. Just imagine the possibilities!:

--"Chasing Gina: Cruising the Globe to Prove a Point"

--"Like a Punch to the Gut: Leave-Takers, Middle-School Disobedience, and the Latter-day Saints"

--Thou Shalt Not Abuse the Mail! Lessons in Authority and Stewardship"

--"'Books by that Queer': Homosociality as Dialectical Negation"

--"An Amazing Tour Through the Emails Repository at SHIELDS"

--"Spit or Swallow: The Library Bathroom as Scriptural Metaphor"

--"That Old Cash Nexus, Part Deux: Rodney Meldrum and the Peddling of Snake Oil"

--"Why the Missing Scroll Matters"

--"'He did *what* yet again?' Memories of Louis C. Midley"

--"Candlelight as Blasphemy: Remembering the Lynne Whitesides Incident
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14